Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensitivity fascists
http://nypost.com/2016/03/07/sensitivity-fascists-are-turning-colleges-into-day-care-centers/

This is something we are popping up in multiple places. This board as well.

Quote:How will today’s college students function once they leave campus and find the world no giant “safe space” protecting them from things they don’t want to hear?

University of Pittsburgh students last week declared themselves “in danger” and “traumatized” over a provocative campus speech by righty flame-thrower Milo Yiannapoulos.

So traumatized that, at a student government hearing, they demanded to know why the school hadn’t provided on-site therapy for those who felt “invalidated” by the speech.

ADVERTISING
A speech that no one had to attend.

The student-gov president broke down in tears as she heard the complaints, then apologized for spending student funds on the guest (but said court rulings had left her no choice).

Meanwhile, two members of Bowdoin College’s student government faced impeachment for . . . attending a tequila party where some guests wore (gasp) tiny sombreros.

The school launched an instant investigation into this “act of ethnic stereotyping,” put partygoers on “social probation” and expelled the hosts from their dorms.

Oh, that more colleges had presidents like Oklahoma Wesleyan’s Everett Piper, who in December told his students to “grow up” and “get a backbone.”

“The creation of a safe space so that a countering idea cannot enter your world,” he said, “is not education — that is nothing but ideological fascism.”

At least his graduates won’t melt into puddles in the real world, because they’ll have attended a college — not a day-care center.
Hey for $100,000 you too can turn your child into a whimpering puddle of tears.

On site therapy?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This should go well.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
OMG !
I cannot believe Milo has gotten so popular.
Shocked
(03-08-2016, 12:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hey for $100,000 you too can turn your child into a whimpering puddle of tears.

On site therapy?

I think you have it backwards.  The school allowed the speaker.  Don't know why you are ripping on them.

Many of these students are being overly sensitive, but when you realize the history of violence against gays and Muslims in this country you have to believe that they are justified to feel "in danger" when a speaker arrives on campus and stirs up hatred against them.

But these students should not need therapy or demand a "safe space".  They are going to have to learn to live in a world that includes these type of extremists.

And, finally, nothing screams "whimpering puddle of tears" more than the people around here who are bawling their eyes out over being oppressed by small minorities in the United States.
(03-08-2016, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you have it backwards.  The school allowed the speaker.  Don't know why you are ripping on them.

Many of these students are being overly sensitive, but when you realize the history of violence against gays and Muslims in this country you have to believe that they are justified to feel "in danger" when a speaker arrives on campus and stirs up hatred against them.

But these students should not need therapy or demand a "safe space".  They are going to have to learn to live in a world that includes these type of extremists.

And, finally, nothing screams "whimpering puddle of tears" more than the people around here who are bawling their eyes out over being oppressed by small minorities in the United States.

Milo is gay, literally. 
This whole thing really is going off the hinges. Tolerance doesn't mean being shielded from things you disagree with.
--------------------------------------------------------

(03-08-2016, 12:59 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This whole thing really is going off the hinges.  Tolerance doesn't mean being shielded from things you disagree with.

Amen !
We are to be preparing our children for the future. 
The future WILL include adversity. 
I remember when I was at university and we allowed all speech and it was up to us to make a decision. We were patient for all speech and if we didn't agree we just didn't go.

Now schools have safe zones and try and suppress speech lol. Ben Shapiro had a mob outside of one of his visits about a week or so ago.
(03-08-2016, 12:58 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Milo is gay, literally. 

Chill out fanboy.  I wasn't just talking about Milo,
(03-08-2016, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you have it backwards.  The school allowed the speaker.  Don't know why you are ripping on them.

allowed because according to them they had to by law.  I'm not ripping on the school per se, it just that it seems we send kids off to college and they become these fragile flowers.  Maybe they were before they went.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-08-2016, 01:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I remember when I was at university and we allowed all speech and it was up to us to make a decision.   We were patient for all speech and if we didn't agree we just didn't go.  

Now schools have safe zones and try and suppress speech lol.    Ben Shapiro had a mob outside of one of his visits about a week or so ago.

Soon colleges will offer personal education pods (ala: Venture Bros) so students only receive pre-selected stimuli.
(03-08-2016, 01:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: allowed because according to them they had to by law.  I'm not ripping on the school per se, it just that it seems we send kids off to college and they become these fragile flowers.  Maybe they were before they went.

It isn't just college students.

There are just as many non-college people that age who are constantly crying.  It is getting to the point that even members of overwhelming majorities (Christians, straight white guys, etc) are crying about being marginalized and oppressed.

I agree that "safe spaces" and counseling in response to a controversial position are going way too far.  But it isn't just the college crowd.  
(03-08-2016, 01:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: allowed because according to them they had to by law.  I'm not ripping on the school per se, it just that it seems we send kids off to college and they become these fragile flowers.  Maybe they were before they went.

This is what happens when you insulate them at every turn.
(03-08-2016, 01:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: allowed because according to them they had to by law. 

Well that is exactly what I say when the KKK wants to have a public march or demonstration.  I don't agree with them, but it should be allowed because of the law.
(03-08-2016, 01:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is what happens when you insulate them at every turn.

Then it is a good thing the University let this guy speak.

But I find it funny that you claim to disapprove of "insulating" children considering the long list of things you are going to forbid your daughters from participating in.
(03-08-2016, 01:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I remember when I was at university and we allowed all speech and it was up to us to make a decision.   We were patient for all speech and if we didn't agree we just didn't go.  

Now schools have safe zones and try and suppress speech lol.    Ben Shapiro had a mob outside of one of his visits about a week or so ago.

And you knew you didn't agree before you went to hear what they had to say. Only after you didn't hear what they had to say would you decide you didn't agree so you could jump into your time machine, travel back to the past, and not attend the speech with which you didn't agree which is why you didn't go in the first place. 
(03-08-2016, 01:31 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And you knew you didn't agree before you went to hear what they had to say. Only after you didn't hear what they had to say would you decide you didn't agree so you could jump into your time machine, travel back to the past, and not attend the speech with which you didn't agree which is why you didn't go in the first place. 

If you attended you could just get up and leave. Or I guess act like a fool and riot
(03-08-2016, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then it is a good thing the University let this guy speak.

But I find it funny that you claim to disapprove of "insulating" children considering the long list of things you are going to forbid your daughters from participating in.

I don't mind university allowing people to speak. These safe zones are things I have issues with.... Listen to the students during That Missouri nonsense. Same type of stuff, saying that they want to limit speech they didn't agree.

As far as what I do for my children vs what happens at a university. Yes there is a difference. Their age. When they get to university they will make their own choices and we will be confident in them that they have a solid.foundation.
(03-08-2016, 01:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If you attended you could just get up and leave.   Or I guess act like a fool and riot

Anyone who went to the trouble to attend knew what he was going to talk about.  It wasn't something you would just randomly wander into.

And that is one reason I don't think anyone who attended has any right to complain about what they heard.  But sometimes you don't have to attend to feel threatened by the message some people bring.

For example last year here in Knoxville there was a big dispute over an anti-Muslim speaker.  he was originally scheduled to speak at a public high school (after school hours).  Some people protested and the school cancelled the speech.  The speaker just rented a private venue and gave the speech anyway.  But he was able to make a big deal out of how the government was trying to violate his freedom of speech.

In this case I think it was just much ado about nothing.  I don't see keeping him from using a public building as violating his rights.  And I would have the same opinion if it was a radical leftist instead of the radical conservative.