Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serial season 2 - Bowe Bergdahl
https://serialpodcast.org

My wife downloads a ton of podcasts for work and found one last year that was a spinoff of sorts to This American Life. She had me listen to it the day it came out. It would later become a huge hit. I'm of course referring to Serial season 1. If you haven't already, I'd listen to it. It was a fascinating story about a Muslim teen from a Baltimore suburb (15 minutes from my house!) accused of killing his Asian ex girlfriend. There was not a lot of evidence to suggest he did it and most of the prosecution's case rest on his drug dealer friend and cell tower data that would now no longer be considered accurate. The producer dug through the court documents, listened to recordings of the trial, and interviewed most of those involved with the case. Very good stuff.

Season 2 has begun and they're 3 episodes in. This season is about Bowe Bergdahl. I've only listened to the first 2, but she is working with the director of the Hurt Locker who has been talking with Bowe since he returned for a documentary he is making. It certainly is very different from season 1. Instead of a murder case where I immediately felt the kid was innocent, I don't know what to think. They have just gone over the basics of him, why he says he abandoned his post, how he says he was captured, and how the taliban says he was captured. He seems like an idiot who had a bad idea to raise awareness of problem that most would have just assumed is a part of military life. He ended up wasting tons of resources and endangered the lives of many.

Anyone else listening? Thoughts? Any idea on where this season is going? There doesn't seem to be a clear end game
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-03-2016, 01:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://serialpodcast.org

My wife downloads a ton of podcasts for work and found one last year that was a spinoff of sorts to This American Life. She had me listen to it the day it came out. It would later become a huge hit. I'm of course referring to Serial season 1. If you haven't already, I'd listen to it. It was a fascinating story about a Muslim teen from a Baltimore suburb (15 minutes from my house!) accused of killing his Asian ex girlfriend. There was not a lot of evidence to suggest he did it and most of the prosecution's case rest on his drug dealer friend and cell tower data that would now no longer be considered accurate. The producer dug through the court documents, listened to recordings of the trial, and interviewed most of those involved with the case. Very good stuff.

Season 2 has begun and they're 3 episodes in. This season is about Bowe Bergdahl. I've only listened to the first 2, but she is working with the director of the Hurt Locker who has been talking with Bowe since he returned for a documentary he is making. It certainly is very different from season 1. Instead of a murder case where I immediately felt the kid was innocent, I don't know what to think. They have just gone over the basics of him, why he says he abandoned his post, how he says he was captured, and how the taliban says he was captured. He seems like an idiot who had a bad idea to raise awareness of problem that most would have just assumed is a part of military life. He ended up wasting tons of resources and endangered the lives of many.

Anyone else listening? Thoughts? Any idea on where this season is going? There doesn't seem to be a clear end game

Is that the NPR program?  I've listened to it in the past if so.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-03-2016, 01:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Is that the NPR program?  I've listened to it in the past if so.

Yea it started off as a spin off of NPR's This American Life. I'd  definitely suggest listening to season 1.

(01-03-2016, 01:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://serialpodcast.org

Thanks... I'll try to check it out.

Did they dig into his poetry, yet ?
(01-03-2016, 03:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea it started off as a spin off of NPR's This American Life. 

This American Life was an awesome show, but I have listened to it in a while.
(01-03-2016, 04:46 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Thanks... I'll try to check it out.

Did they dig into his poetry, yet ?

Not yet. I haven't listened to episode 3 yet (I got a little bored), but they were going to discuss his 1st year captured. 

(01-07-2016, 07:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This American Life was an awesome show, but I have listened to it in a while.

It's very much like a more investigative This American Life that spans multiple episodes.

(01-07-2016, 10:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's very much like a more investigative This American Life that spans multiple episodes.

I used to listen to NPR all the time in my car, but when I bought my new car it came with Sirius Radio.  Now I am wasting all my time listening to comics and sports.