Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell Vs Slater
Seeing some scouting reports that some if not many believe Sewell is not a slam dunk OT. Some believe Slater is the better OT at the NFL level. Is it because Sewell doesn't quite seal the edge? Not sure because some believe Sewell is a generational talent, whatever that means. Anyone have any idea?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Are we now calling slater slaughter?

Slater whooped chase young, Sewell hasn’t blocked anyone and played one year of OT.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 10:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Seeing some scouting reports that some if not many believe Sewell is not a slam dunk OT.  Some believe Slaughter is the better OT at the NFL level.  Is it because Sewell doesn't quite seal the edge?  Not sure because some believe Sewell is a generational talent, whatever that means.  Anyone have any idea?

Read in some places that "he does not have the ideal height or length and could be moved inside, nut his athletic skill set and overall technique project well as a blind-side blocker" he is 6'3" shorter arms compared to Peneii being 6'6" with longer arms. I know he was hurt but if I can get him late wound I would consider Walker Little at Tackle. They say he compares to Andrew Whitworth which is obviously impressive. He is also very good at mis-direction and switch offs which I think the Bengals line especially Michael Jordan struggled with.
Reply/Quote
It’s one thing to prefer Slater (that tape vs Young was indeed impressive), but Sewell is 100% going to be a OT.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 10:39 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Are we now calling slater slaughter?

Slater whooped chase young, Sewell hasn’t blocked anyone and played one year of OT.

Sewell was LT in both of his years that he played
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 11:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sewell was LT in both of his years that he played

That's fine, and his tape is impressive, but the teams he played against didn't exactly have good defensive ends or DTs he had to block. That doesn't mean that he doesn't have all the tools to be an impressive player already at 20, and probably should be the first OT off the board, but that doesn't mean Slater isn't a bad selection at 5 either. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: That's fine, and his tape is impressive, but the teams he played against didn't exactly have good defensive ends or DTs he had to block. That doesn't mean that he doesn't have all the tools to be an impressive player already at 20, and probably should be the first OT off the board, but that doesn't mean Slater isn't a bad selection at 5 either. 

I’m not arguing any of that. You said that Sewell had only played one year of OT. I was just correcting you.
Reply/Quote
I changed his name sorry. Maybe Slater is more valuable because he can play several spots, even center.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The locked on Bengals podcast suggests some have Slater over Sewell, they even went as far to say as that if he was drafted left year he wouldn't have been top 3 tackles taken.
Regardless, I doubt a prospect who opted out won't fall to 5!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: That's fine, and his tape is impressive, but the teams he played against didn't exactly have good defensive ends or DTs he had to block. That doesn't mean that he doesn't have all the tools to be an impressive player already at 20, and probably should be the first OT off the board, but that doesn't mean Slater isn't a bad selection at 5 either. 

curious ...Is Slater related to the old all time LA RAM great OT , Jackie Slater?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:50 PM)kalibengal Wrote: curious ...Is Slater related to the old all time LA RAM great OT , Jackie Slater?

Yep, I believe that is his son.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:42 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: This all reeks of draft smokescreen from a team hoping they can get Sewell after 5 or analysts trying to find warts because they have too much time on their hands. Guarantee just before the draft, we'll start hearing how Fields might be taken over Lawerence. Then the draft starts and the Jags send in Lawerence's name in less than 3 seconds.

Yup.  Slater has nowhere near the upside and also has a lot of technical issues that will need fixed.  
Reply/Quote
I think they both have their pros and cons.

Slater is your "Technically sound with high quality fundamentals offensive tackle that may need to move inside depending on whether or not you believe arm length is the defining trait for success at OT" prospect and Sewell is your "physical freak, both athletically and regarding measurables, who is not as technically sound yet, but can be taught these things and become the best OT in the NFL" prospect.

I don't think we could go wrong with either one, honestly. I think the ceiling is higher on Sewell but the floor is higher with Slater. IF you go with Slater, you may be tempted to move down since he isn't being considered a top 5 prospect as of today, but who knows what the combine and workouts can do for his stock. We'll just have to see how the off season develops.

The nice thing is that, regardless of which one you draft, you're getting a quality Olineman that can start from day 1, even if it isn't definitely LT in the long run.
Reply/Quote
Here is a thread Matt Miller is doing right now on Slater.

Reply/Quote
I’ve seen a mock that had slater going at 2 and Sewell at 5. I believe, after doing a little tape watching, Slater is definitely worth a top 5 pick.
Reply/Quote
The only concern with Slater is his size. Reminds me of Jonah Williams.

If a team 100% wants a franchise OT, Sewell is the guy to go after. There's just too much potential there along with dominance in college.
Sewell led the nation with a PFF run-blocking grade of 95.3 and third with a pass-blocking grade of 91.1 in 2019, the last year he played.
He also should have ideal size (6'6", 330 lb, long arms) to hold up well against both the run and pass in the NFL. Last, he's young. That's appealing to teams because they see plenty of room for further growth.

If a team has many gaps across the OL (like the Bengals), Slater could be a perfectly fine fit, as he looks to be versatile. He is expected to play very well at both OT positions but could be best at OG or even C. Regardless, you should get very good play wherever you put him. He just may not be a Top 5 kinda guy at LT, but he could be Top 15.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I will be shocked if NFL teams are that high on Slater as the media is. PFF has him as the 12th guy on the board which is more realistic than 4th.
I will say this though he is the number one guy for me if we were to trade down. He screams Quinton Nelson has a prospect.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 07:10 PM)J24 Wrote: I will be shocked if NFL teams are that high on Slater as the media is. PFF has him as the 12th guy on the board which is more realistic than 4th.
I will say this though he is the  number one guy for me if we were to trade down. He screams Quinton Nelson has a prospect.

If he screams Quiton Nelson, then the NFL teams are much higher on him than the media.

I do think the hype for him is real.  If he had better size, he probably has a higher grade than Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 07:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If he screams Quiton Nelson, then the NFL teams are much higher on him than the media.

I do think the hype for him is real.  If he had better size, he probably has a higher grade than Sewell.

If the NFL views him as a guard then he won't be drafted as high. Nelson only went that high because he was in a poorest offensive line draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Sewell is a monster, hope you don't draft him.

I like Slater. He gets on people quick and can get to the second level pretty easily. I agree that he looks great sealing the edge, his ability to turn his body and move his feet while engaged is unique. I think he'd be a great RT for those reasons. Only thing I worry about with him is strength.
Reply/Quote