Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell Vs Slater
In Daniel Jeremiah's first mock, he has the Bengals taking Slater over Sewell.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 05:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In Daniel Jeremiah's first mock, he has the Bengals taking Slater over Sewell.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

Interesting...
I guess there is not enough tape for Sewell.  Also, the Pac 12 and their DE or edge players play is suspect.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 06:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Interesting...
I guess there is not enough tape for Sewell.  Also, the Pac 12 and their DE or edge players play is suspect.  

Sewell and Slater have the same amount of seasons played: 2. There’s plenty of tape on both. And this is nothing new. Jeremiah has been one of the very few that ranks Slater as OT1 for a while now. I don’t think many GM’s would agree though. I certainly hope Tobin doesn’t. Give me Sewell.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 08:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell and Slater have the same amount of seasons played: 2. There’s plenty of tape on both. And this is nothing new. Jeremiah has been one of the very few that ranks Slater as OT1 for a while now. I don’t think many GM’s would agree though. I certainly hope Tobin doesn’t. Give me Sewell.

Rare time we agree but the question is Slater worth taking at #5 if Sewell is gone.. I think it will come down to Bengals ability to sign a FA..not as easy as people think even if they try to....

We don;t sign a major FA tackle/guard ... I could seem them taking a tackle at #5 regardless.. more and more boards have at least 2 going in top 10.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 08:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell and Slater have the same amount of seasons played: 2. There’s plenty of tape on both. And this is nothing new. Jeremiah has been one of the very few that ranks Slater as OT1 for a while now. I don’t think many GM’s would agree though. I certainly hope Tobin doesn’t. Give me Sewell.

All day long. 

There are several really good Ts in this draft. Sewell's athleticism is head and shoulders above everyone elses. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 09:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Rare time we agree but the question is Slater worth taking at #5 if Sewell is gone.. I think it will come down to Bengals ability to sign a FA..not as easy as people think even if they try to....

We don;t sign a major FA tackle/guard ... I could seem them taking a tackle at #5 regardless.. more and more boards have at least 2 going in top 10.

If Sewell is gone and tackle is what they're wanting to target, that's when i'd trade back, get an extra pick and still get a good starting-quality tackle. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 11:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Sewell is gone and tackle is what they're wanting to target, that's when i'd trade back, get an extra pick and still get a good starting-quality tackle. 

I think it depends on their board.. if they have another tackle rated high after Sewell I don;t know if i trade back with the risk of missing that tackle.... and a team has to want to trade up also..never as easy as it seems
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 11:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think it depends on their board.. if they have another tackle rated high after Sewell I don;t know if i trade back with the risk of missing that tackle.... and a team has to want to trade up also..never as easy as it seems

I think the depth at the position allows for them to not worry about that as much as years past. 

Most teams have a hard time passing on shiny new toys (skill positions), so there will be a couple good ones late in the round.

Sewell is the only one who possesses the traits to be a top 5 pick. I know there are a couple 'draftniks' that like a couple of the other guys...but they're not top 5 talent (imo).

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 11:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think the depth at the position allows for them to not worry about that as much as years past. 

Most teams have a hard time passing on shiny new toys (skill positions), so there will be a couple good ones late in the round.

Sewell is the only one who possesses the traits to be a top 5 pick. I know there are a couple 'draftniks' that like a couple of the other guys...but they're not top 5 talent (imo).

Agreed.  Obviously I would like them to take Sewell at #5, because I like what I've seen when I watch his footage.  However, if they were approached and took an offer to trade back, I feel like there are enough quality Tackles to find one throughout the 1st round.  Darrisaw, Slater, or Mayfield all have excellent ratings and are projected to be ready to start as Rookies.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You say that the depth is good, but there always seems to be a run on tackles that can pass protect. Very rarely do you see the good ones drop to round 2, and if they do, it's generally because they are RT only (which is more than likely what we are looking for)

I wouldn't trust waiting until round 2 if we are truly looking for a starting caliber OT.
Reply/Quote
We already have the same player as Slayter with Jonah Williams; undersized OT with great technique. Picking him at #5 couldn't be more underwhelming other than the fact that we would be addressing the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 11:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think the depth at the position allows for them to not worry about that as much as years past. 

You're killing it, my foe/friend. There are probably 5 starting Tackles in this draft but none are like Sewell. 

Trade back if he's not there and there will still be a high floor lineman wherever you land in the first round. Jonah is a decent comp for Slater although there are differences of course. I think Darrisaw is right there with Slater. Easy mover, can seal an edge easily, mentally quick at processing rush, smooth puller, questions about strength. 

I love talking the draft. If y'all want me to butt out I will, but I come in peace. Player evaluation is my thing more than scheme and anything else.

I really like Vera-Tucker as a Guard, maybe RT. Doubt he falls to the Ravens but he's a mauler, plays mean too.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 05:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You say that the depth is good, but there always seems to be a run on tackles that can pass protect.  Very rarely do you see the good ones drop to round 2, and if they do, it's generally because they are RT only (which is more than likely what we are looking for)

I wouldn't trust waiting until round 2 if we are truly looking for a starting caliber OT.

Most years, 4-6 go in the top 33 picks. There's a good chance the top 5 or 6 could be gone by the time they pick in the 2nd. EDIT: I wasn't saying wait till rd 2. I was talking about trading back from #5 to...whatever (in the first round--but pref no lower than 10-12).

FA will have a lot to do with what they need when the draft rolls around. A guy like Taylor Moton would be HUGE (they freaking missed out on Jack Conklin--who i was screaming about--last year), but it's gonna cost them a pretty penny to get him. So far, the good news is, Carolina is short on cap money and hasn't had any contract discussions with him and it looks like the debate is between signing him and Curtis Samuel. Fortunately, the Bengals have some money to spend. Can't really think of any other tackles i'd bother with. 

As much as i'd love to get Brandon Scherff, i don't think he's leaving WFT. Thuney is a year younger and from this area. The Pats franchised him last year and may not be able to do it again this year...or, he may just want to test the waters. 

Sign Moton and Thuney, fingers crossed that Wyatt Davis is there in Rd 2, hope Hopkins comes back 100% and soon and then you have a line of  Williams--Thuney--Hopkins--Davis--Moton. I'm not as sold on Davis as some are, so passing on him and playing Spain there is cool with me. Williams--Thuney--Hopkins--Spain--Moton. That allows the Bengals to take Chase or Pitts at #5. The rest of the draft is then wide open. Humphrey in 2? Dickerson in 3? Basham in 2? Samuel Jr in 2? Collins or Surratt in 2? 

Reply/Quote
You messed up the quote box. 

"how do u or I know? Wr dont have access to personal workouts, tapes and ovals by professional s.. u just cant st only one tackle worthy at 5..."

Because i watched them and while the other guys are solid, i don't see a top5 from anyone but Sewell. That doesn't mean they're not. Maybe 2 or 3 of them will pan out and be top 5-10 tackles in the league. 

I'm voting "i doubt it" though. 

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 10:32 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: You're killing it, my foe/friend. There are probably 5 starting Tackles in this draft but none are like Sewell. 

Trade back if he's not there and there will still be a high floor lineman wherever you land in the first round. Jonah is a decent comp for Slater although there are differences of course. I think Darrisaw is right there with Slater. Easy mover, can seal an edge easily, mentally quick at processing rush, smooth puller, questions about strength. 

I love talking the draft. If y'all want me to butt out I will, but I come in peace. Player evaluation is my thing more than scheme and anything else.

I really like Vera-Tucker as a Guard, maybe RT. Doubt he falls to the Ravens but he's a mauler, plays mean too.

Don't even worry about it. Anyone can talk draft picks, talent and where they could go/fall, etc. 

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 10:32 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: I really like Vera-Tucker as a Guard, maybe RT. Doubt he falls to the Ravens but he's a mauler, plays mean too.

Yep. I watched a couple USC games from this year and he looked really robotic and out of place at tackle. He looked like...a guard playing tackle. lol

Reply/Quote
I'd actually like to see the Bengals trade down and try to pick up a 3rd or 2nd and get another quality WR or TE along with Slater (if he goes around 12th)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 08:11 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: We already have the same player as Slayter with Jonah Williams; undersized OT with great technique. Picking him at #5 couldn't be more underwhelming other than the fact that we would be addressing the O-line.

Jonah Williams goes about 6'5" 312. Your classification of undersized could be questioned. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:35 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jonah Williams goes about 6'5" 312. Your classification of undersized could be questioned. 

Jonah Williams is listed as 6'4", 305 lb.
305 lbs is fine for an OT in the NFL and 6'4" is an adequate height, so it's gotta be purely based on length.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

It doesn't really matter, but Slater has been a starter for 3 years, not 2.
Reply/Quote