Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewell on playing guard

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Says all the right things, seems really smart and just saw his Pro Day working with Pollack.

I think he is the pick now and I am ecstatic about it. Happy he is willing to play Guard although I think Jonah might also
be the man moving depending on how camp goes and how good Sewell looks as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
I think I would trust him at guard for his first year rather then tackle right away. But then let's just say bengals have a strong o line this year with 3 tackles, reiff would probably leave next year then we got jonah who might not stay healthy, then the line would only have sewell, back to square 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:07 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: I think I would trust him at guard for his first year rather then tackle right away. But then let's just say bengals have a strong o line this year with 3 tackles, reiff would probably leave next year then we got jonah who might not stay healthy, then the line would only have sewell, back to square 1.

Thinking that Sewell playing at LG is a distinct possibility. Throwing a rookie in at LT never starts out fantastic and Sewell 
sometimes lets his hands get outside of the Defender's chest which can result in holding. Jonah played well when healthy at
LT. I think we re-sign Reiff if he has a good year and Draft a talented OT in the mid rounds to learn from him anyways.

Very deep Draft for OT's, take a couple. Sewell and Spencer Brown are my votes.
Reply/Quote
Big picture we could potentially have 2 bookend tackles and a QB all on rookie contracts. Williams is heading into year 3 it dosen’t make sense to sacrifice his grow and move him inside at the expense of a stop gap tackle. If Sewell proves he’s ready to play tackle right away then I’d have no problem starting Sewell over Reiff. I also feel like the Sewell to guard thing is more fan driven speculation versus the what the team might actually do.
Reply/Quote
there are worst things than an OG or pulling OG with violent intentions...

Well unless your a linebacker. lol

Not knowing is what makes draft day fun though
(but protecting burrow has to be priority 1)
Reply/Quote
The perfect answer is always: "I'll take snaps at fullback if coach says that it'll help the team." 

It's a fine answer though. It says that he believes in himself and that he thinks that he has the goods to make it at tackle. He doesn't give player speak non-answers or highly scripted answers. He's more of a straight shooter. Being blunt works out just fine if you can back it up. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:07 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: I think I would trust him at guard for his first year rather then tackle right away. But then let's just say bengals have a strong o line this year with 3 tackles, reiff would probably leave next year then we got jonah who might not stay healthy, then the line would only have sewell, back to square 1.

The Bengals have a team option on Reiff for next year if they choose to extend him.  Technically a one year contract but his contract does not expire until 5 days after the SB.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Says all the right things, seems really smart and just saw his Pro Day working with Pollack.

I think he is the pick now and I am ecstatic about it. Happy he is willing to play Guard although I think Jonah might also
be the man moving depending on how camp goes and how good Sewell looks as a rookie.

It's funny that we are reading this differently. Based on the last two weeks of online news/speculation, I'm thinking Chase is the pick right now. My preference is to go with the O-line guy first, but I'd honestly be happy with either of the two. I like the idea of opening up the 2nd round pick to the BPA and not being forced to go OL in case an Edge guy falls. 
Reply/Quote

If Jonah has yet another year of not staying on the field, it would give indication for the Bengals to re-sign Reiff and/or draft a(nother) OT high either in 2022 or 2023.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking that Sewell playing at LG is a distinct possibility. Throwing a rookie in at LT never starts out fantastic and Sewell 
sometimes lets his hands get outside of the Defender's chest which can result in holding. Jonah played well when healthy at
LT. I think we re-sign Reiff if he has a good year and Draft a talented OT in the mid rounds to learn from him anyways.

Spencer Brown would learn a lot from Reiff and Pollack in a year or 2 and be ready to go then.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking that Sewell playing at LG is a distinct possibility. Throwing a rookie in at LT never starts out fantastic and Sewell 

You make a great point about Sewell spending some time at Guard, in relation to refining his hand technique.  The team could absolutely take advantage of playing Sewell at Guard, while having Reiff around for a year, AND if Jonah's health should faulter Penei could easily slide over and take charge.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PczDJX0YjPk

Here is Sewell playing guard at his first Oregon fall practice.

Notice the cameraman with his camera at ground level.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 10:32 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: It's funny that we are reading this differently. Based on the last two weeks of online news/speculation, I'm thinking Chase is the pick right now. My preference is to go with the O-line guy first, but I'd honestly be happy with either of the two. I like the idea of opening up the 2nd round pick to the BPA and not being forced to go OL in case an Edge guy falls. 

Yeah would be happy with Pitts, Sewell or Chase. Just think after Sewell's Pro Day and Pollack working with him more than 
anybody that Pollack will be pushing for his guy big time and we all know Burrow wants more protection. Sewell shown he is
in great shape which was all I needed to see for him to be the pick. His tape is fantastic pretty much.

(04-09-2021, 07:49 PM)pulses Wrote: Spencer Brown would learn a lot from Reiff and Pollack in a year or 2 and be ready to go then.

That is what I am thinking. Couldn't have a better raw prospect to learn under Reiff than Spencer Brown IMO.

The guy is about the most in shape O-lineman I have ever seen coming out of college.

(04-09-2021, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You make a great point about Sewell spending some time at Guard, in relation to refining his hand technique.  The team could absolutely take advantage of playing Sewell at Guard, while having Reiff around for a year, AND if Jonah's health should faulter Penei could easily slide over and take charge.

Thanks Sunset. Rock On

Feeling the same, couldn't get better insurance in case Jonah goes down again and we would have all our best OL starting
this way while not throwing Sewell out to the wolves immediately coming off the edge. Sewell is a great run blocker.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't going to tip their hand at who they will pick. There's always the possibility someone could move into Atlanta's spot to get Chase, Sewell or Pitts. Hell, Atlanta could even take one of them.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Bengals aren't going to tip their hand at who they will pick. There's always the possibility someone could move into Atlanta's spot to get Chase, Sewell or Pitts. Hell, Atlanta could even take one of them.

They already have. Tobin talking about how deep the OL class is makes it pretty clear who they’re taking at 5.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The guy is about the most in shape O-lineman I have ever seen coming out of college.

You forgot about The Incredible Bulk (Tony Mandarich).

[Image: tony-mandarich-1989-nfl-football-draft-p...-cover.jpg]

Of course steroids had everything to do with this, but that's besides the point. Wink
Reply/Quote