Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sewell or trade with QB needy teams?
(12-26-2020, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can keep saying this as much as you want, it doesn’t make it anymore true.

If we don't have money for FA, then over 80% of the league doesn't have money for FA, either.  I guess a bunch of guys who's deals are up are just going to retire because nobody can afford to sign them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2020, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can keep saying this as much as you want, it doesn’t make it anymore true.
34 million. With 5 big time free agents. Seems like we got a ton of money right? U gonna sign thuney with 500 k?
(12-27-2020, 12:17 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You must have missed the part about OSU linemen...

I'm an OSU fan. Wyatt Davis is strong in a phone booth but he doesn't move well and i don't think i've ever seen him pull. He gets bulled a lot in passpro as well. I'll be completely shocked if he's even an above average OG in the NFL. 

In the last 10 drafts there have been 4 OSU linemen selected in the first 2 rds. Adams, Decker, Mewhort and Price. Adams and Price flopped (moreso Price). Mewhort was average to a little above and Decker has been good for Detroit. Throw in MJ (4th rounder) and Jonah Jackson (3rd rounder this year) and they've been terribad.

That's one good pick out of 6 in the last 10 years. I'm gonna call it now and say one good pick out of 7 in the last 11 drafts after this next year.
Same thing. 1 good osu wr in last decade plus. Davis is great at pass pro(though he has struggled a touch this year) he’s still atop who talent. Ur talking about 4th rounders lie my hey we’re picked 1st round. Completely different.
(12-27-2020, 04:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: If we don't have money for FA, then over 80% of the league doesn't have money for FA, either.  I guess a bunch of guys who's deals are up are just going to retire because nobody can afford to sign them.

Just Bc 60% of teams are in the negative dosent by default makes us have a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:25 AM)Jpoore Wrote: 34 million. With 5 big time free agents. Seems like we got a ton of money right? U gonna sign thuney with 500 k?

From a James Rapien article for SI:

The Bengals should have plenty of space to work with this offseason according to salary cap expert Brad Spielberger.

“They have 37 players that are currently under contract [for 2021] and the totally liability there is $142 million,” Spielberger said on the Locked on Bengals podcast. “Whatever the cap is, obviously that minus this 142 number and then you obviously get to roll over or carry over unused cap space from 2020 and they have about $11 million there so they should have 50, 60, 70 million to work with

The Bengals have plenty of players that they could potentially move on from to create more cap space including Giovani Bernard, Bobby Hart, B.J. Finney and Geno Atkins.
Even if they stand pat, Cincinnati should have plenty of room to maneuver, despite committing over $130 million to seven unrestricted free agents last offseason.

“That’s if everyone that’s currently under contract stays. Of course you gotta fill out the roster," Spielberger said. "We use a term called effective cap space. Because they only have 37 guys under contract you multiply 53 minus 37, [which is] 16 times the minimum because obviously they gotta field a full roster so maybe a little but less than the 60-70 million I mentioned, but they have a good amount of room for sure.”

The stage is set for the Bengals to attack their biggest weaknesses in the draft and in free agency. They have the room to re-sign William Jackson III and Carl Lawson with either long-term contracts or by using the franchise tag, while also adding multiple proven players in free agency.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/bengals-breakdown-2021-salary-cap

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From a James Rapien article for SI:

The Bengals should have plenty of space to work with this offseason according to salary cap expert Brad Spielberger.

“They have 37 players that are currently under contract [for 2021] and the totally liability there is $142 million,” Spielberger said on the Locked on Bengals podcast. “Whatever the cap is, obviously that minus this 142 number and then you obviously get to roll over or carry over unused cap space from 2020 and they have about $11 million there so they should have 50, 60, 70 million to work with

The Bengals have plenty of players that they could potentially move on from to create more cap space including Giovani Bernard, Bobby Hart, B.J. Finney and Geno Atkins.
Even if they stand pat, Cincinnati should have plenty of room to maneuver, despite committing over $130 million to seven unrestricted free agents last offseason.

“That’s if everyone that’s currently under contract stays. Of course you gotta fill out the roster," Spielberger said. "We use a term called effective cap space. Because they only have 37 guys under contract you multiply 53 minus 37, [which is] 16 times the minimum because obviously they gotta field a full roster so maybe a little but less than the 60-70 million I mentioned, but they have a good amount of room for sure.”

The stage is set for the Bengals to attack their biggest weaknesses in the draft and in free agency. They have the room to re-sign William Jackson III and Carl Lawson with either long-term contracts or by using the franchise tag, while also adding multiple proven players in free agency.

If he is accurate I would attempt to 
1,  resign Lawson and Jacson
2. Sign a good guard or tackle on 3/4 year contract
 3. Sign a veteran QB that can start 1st game 
4. Sign a WR
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:25 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Same thing. 1 good osu wr in last decade plus. Davis is great at pass pro(though he has struggled a touch this year) he’s still atop who talent. Ur talking about 4th rounders lie my hey we’re picked 1st round. Completely different.

No, i made sure to point out that one was a 4th rounder and one was a 3rd rounder. They were just add-ons, since you should get some production out of them, but the focus was on the 1st and 2nd rounders, primarily, and the overall number of picks in the top 4 rounds, secondarily. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
There goes Sewell.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 06:02 PM)Big Boss Wrote: There goes Sewell.

I’m just going to convince myself Jonah still has the makings of a future stud LT...

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 07:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From a James Rapien article for SI:

The article says we’ll be rolling that money over without the rolling over of 11 million into 2022. I’m saying that we’ll be having 5-6 million after cuts if we resign all the big time free agents we have.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:56 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The article says we’ll be rolling that money over without the rolling over of 11 million into 2022. I’m saying that we’ll be having 5-6 million after cuts if we resign all the big time free agents we have.

Idk guy, I just see that a cap expert says we’ll have plenty of space to make moves. With all due respect, I put a lot more credence in that than the opinion of Jpoore from The Bengals Board. Guy does this stuff for a living (Spielberger, not Rapien).

Reply/Quote