Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sewell vs. ????
So evidently if Decker comes off IR, Sewell goes back to RG and has to face Sam Hubbard. If Decker can't go, Sewell has to deal with Trey Hendrickson on the left side. Sewell has given up 4 sacks and 13 pressures so far according to the home page. Gonna be a big day for someone, who will it be?
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So evidently if Decker comes off IR, Sewell goes back to RG and has to face Sam Hubbard. If Decker can't go, Sewell has to deal with Trey Hendrickson on the left side. Sewell has given up 4 sacks and 13 pressures so far according to the home page. Gonna be a big day for someone, who will it be?

All i'm saying is, every time Bengals fans talk about how a DE is going to have a huge day because of injuries or sub-par play leading in, it doesn't turn out well...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: All i'm saying is, every time Bengals fans talk about how a DE is going to have a huge day because of injuries or sub-par play leading in, it doesn't turn out well...

This. I am hoping Sewell gets ate alive this week, but history tells us when we go into a game thinking the DLine will eat because of an injured riddled oline they face, the opponents oline seems to do just fine. 

Besides, Sewell has some motivation too given we passed on him. He may bring the best effort to date.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Good to see the HoF jacket Penei
Was being fitted for 2-months
Leading up to the draft has been put
On backorder.
There is no excuse why whoever is lined up
Over Penei cannot have a game of sheer
Dominance. Penei should be getting
Blown backwards easily.
He is struggling for a reason
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm missing something, but if Decker comes back, why can't either Sewell or Decker take the RT spot?
Matt Nelson currently has the spot, but he's not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He is struggling (and against some reserves not stars) because of poor footwork and slowness changing direction not pure power. The last couple of games he got embarrassed by players stunting into the B Gap. I gotta think the Lions are going to give him help with a back to at least chip, otherwise either Sam or Trey should be attacking the inside shoulder gap on him.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 03:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Good to see the HoF jacket Penei
Was being fitted for 2-months
Leading up to the draft has been put
On backorder.
There is no excuse why whoever is lined up
Over Penei cannot have a game of sheer
Dominance. Penei should be getting
Blown backwards easily.
He is struggling for a reason

Pretty sure everyone knew Sewell wasn't going to be the best from Day 1. The guy turned 21 just 6 days ago. Think about that. He was 20 years old, hadn't played football in a year, and is going up against Khalil Mack, Danielle Hunter, and Nick Bosa in physical matchups. He will play for 4 years in the NFL before reaching the same age Andrew Whitworth was when he was drafted.

Pretty sure people even said that if you only look right at the time of the draft, Slater was a better player right then and there... Sewell just had by far the highest ceiling.

Wouldn't bet against him next year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: All i'm saying is, every time Bengals fans talk about how a DE is going to have a huge day because of injuries or sub-par play leading in, it doesn't turn out well...

I said one of the three will have a big day, not necessarily one of our ends. Maybe it's Sewell's day to shine.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but if Decker comes back, why can't either Sewell or Decker take the RT spot?
Matt Nelson currently has the spot, but he's not good.

That's what I said. If Decker is not back, Sewell is the LT. If he's back, Sewell is the RT.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure everyone knew Sewell wasn't going to be the best from Day 1. The guy turned 21 just 6 days ago. Think about that. He was 20 years old, hadn't played football in a year, and is going up against Khalil Mack, Danielle Hunter, and Nick Bosa in physical matchups. He will play for 4 years in the NFL before reaching the same age Andrew Whitworth was when he was drafted.

Pretty sure people even said that if you only look right at the time of the draft, Slater was a better player right then and there... Sewell just had by far the highest ceiling.

Wouldn't bet against him next year.

Yeah, and he only played 1.5 years in college. Personally, if he's their left tackle, I think Hendrickson will eat him alive.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what I said. If Decker is not back, Sewell is the LT. If he's back, Sewell is the RT.

I think what confused me is you said "RG" in the OP, not RT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wouldn't bet against him next year this game.

Fixed it for ya.

Like others have mentioned our D usually craps the bed when it looks like they should dominate.

Doesn't matter who the coaches are or what team it is.

An opposing team's tattered line with beat up players and 2-3rd stringers should equal an ass kicking...  nope, they only get blocked like playing world beaters.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sewell plays his best game against out team.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yes the issue always there is we tend to play to the level of our opponents. Hopefully this time we actually exploit the weak areas of our opponent and FINALLY play a complete game.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 04:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, and he only played 1.5 years in college. Personally, if he's their left tackle, I think Hendrickson will eat him alive.

Hendrickson just went against a 3rd string LT last week, didn't he? Did well, but certainly didn't eat him alive.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If he goes against Hubbard, he should be fine. Hubbard doesn't really win very much in pass rush.

If he goes against Hendrickson, I'd expect at least 1 sack, maybe more if Sewell has a rookie day.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 09:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If he goes against Hubbard, he should be fine. Hubbard doesn't really win very much in pass rush.

If he goes against Hendrickson, I'd expect at least 1 sack, maybe more if Sewell has a rookie day.

If Hubbard cant win his battle with Sewell that's pretty sad. Sewell has struggled all year in pass pro, there is no.excuse why Hubbard cant get the best of him.
Oh.thats right Sam is a force vs the run so his inability
To put the QB on the ground is forgiven
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 11:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Hubbard cant win his battle with Sewell that's pretty sad. Sewell has struggled all year in pass pro, there is no.excuse why Hubbard cant get the best of him.
Yea, pretty much.

Ideally, he moves inside on passing downs but injuries at DE have made him play outside more than he should ideally. Cuz he doesn't beat OTs very often.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 11:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If Hubbard cant win his battle with Sewell that's pretty sad. Sewell has struggled all year in pass pro, there is no.excuse why Hubbard cant get the best of him.

This is not entirely accurate. Sewell actually held his own pretty well against Bosa in his first game. I’m pretty sure the Bears game was his worst, and tbf, they gave us fits, too.

Anyway, your gripes with Hubbard are weird. You expect him to be something he’s not.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 11:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is not entirely accurate. Sewell actually held his own pretty well against Bosa in his first game. I’m pretty sure the Bears game was his worst, and tbf, they gave us fits, too.

Anyway, your gripes with Hubbard are weird. You expect him to be something he’s not.

Actually that was the only game Sewell held his own. The Bears and the Vikings had the most obvious punking of him true but all of their other opponents got easy pressure off his side. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 11:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually that was the only game Sewell held his own. The Bears and the Vikings had the most obvious punking of him true but all of their other opponents got easy pressure off his side. 

Right, but like I said, he held his own against Nick Bosa of all people. Don’t be surprised if he shuts down Hubbard. Although, Sewell was even worse at RT during the preseason, so who knows.

Reply/Quote