Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sewell vs. ????
(10-18-2021, 01:17 AM)Joelist Wrote: Let's remember (and the posts are in the forum) that this whole thing got out of hand when SOME (not all) of "Team Sewell" got condescending, insulting and borderline abusive to other forum members (about the only word missing was "idiot"). The mods did a commendable job of getting things reined back in but some hard feelings no doubt linger.

Regarding Sewell (and having seen him in a full live game) I have a feeling his future is going to be as a Pro Bowl caliber Guard. What I saw being exploited was his lack of light feet and slowness pivoting - which are not coachable things. He needs to be inside where pivot speed is not essential.

True.  I decided to quit participating in the argument, but felt compelled to make one more post.  I remember my last post about it, someone was saying during the "preseason drop drama" :paraphrasing: "you won't hear anything from team Chase members now" or something along those lines.   I basically said :again paraphrasing: "I was team Chase and still think it was the right pick, and if I ultimately end up being wrong, I'll admit it."  
Agree on Sewell.   I think he will end up succeeding in the NFL, but it wasn't hard to see the hyperbolic takes by some of the so called experts who weren't acknowledging the technique limitations as well as the untold story as to how he could fare against a higher level of competition.  For fans wanting to "improve now," Chase or Slater were the two guys at that slot.  

This team ___ vs team____ should be shelved though, assuming we are collectively fans of the team.  We are all going to be wrong plenty of times, just like experts who evaluate prospects for a living.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They have improved the OL though. They still have work to do, but it’s moving in the right direction. The run game is much better, and they only gave up 1 sack again today (the other one was 100% on Burrow).

That’s not bad considering we were rotating guys in and out at C and RG.

1 sack yesterday, but we nearly lost Burrow on both deep balls to Chase. They took him out at the knees both times. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 08:23 AM)impactplaya Wrote: If this franchise drafted Penei Sewell
It would not be 4 an 2-with a chance to be 5 and 2.
This team would be 2 and 4 at best

Probably with the way Chase has jump started the offense each game so far. But I maintain I find it interesting that a certain group doesn't wants to give Pollack the glory of (would have) being able to make Sewell better, as they constantly said he'd do with our average Oline players. So we'll never know. If Pollack is what everyone says he is, I'm not sure how you can say Sewell would have struggled the same under him as what we are seeing at the start of games (until he gets settled in).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 08:23 AM)impactplaya Wrote: If this franchise drafted Penei Sewell
It would not be 4 an 2-with a chance to be 5 and 2.
This team would be 2 and 4 at best

This is what switched me from Sewell to Chase prior to the draft. I read an article that compared value brought to the team by each, by calculating numerous things I don't remember, and Chase's overall value towards wins was much higher than Sewells.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 01:17 AM)Joelist Wrote: Let's remember (and the posts are in the forum) that this whole thing got out of hand when SOME (not all) of "Team Sewell" got condescending, insulting and borderline abusive to other forum members (about the only word missing was "idiot"). The mods did a commendable job of getting things reined back in but some hard feelings no doubt linger.

Regarding Sewell (and having seen him in a full live game) I have a feeling his future is going to be as a Pro Bowl caliber Guard. What I saw being exploited was his lack of light feet and slowness pivoting - which are not coachable things. He needs to be inside where pivot speed is not essential.

I know I personally took a couple of breaks from this board after the draft because certain Team Sewell posters were just out of control.  If you're going to go from thread to thread telling anybody that doesn't have Sewell as their first choice an idiot that has no clue how to field a winning football team, you're going to get some back when the guy you stumped for isn't as advertised.  
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 10:30 AM)Whatever Wrote: I know I personally took a couple of breaks from this board after the draft because certain Team Sewell posters were just out of control.  If you're going to go from thread to thread telling anybody that doesn't have Sewell as their first choice an idiot that has no clue how to field a winning football team, you're going to get some back when the guy you stumped for isn't as advertised.  

Yep. There wasn’t that many of us Team Chase people on this board, and we got A LOT of shit for going against the grain. So much rhetoric and condescension. I will never forget one particular sig I saw after we made the pick. And that stuff all came from one side.

They really didn’t expect any pushback after all that?

Reply/Quote
I hated the "Team Sewell, Team Chase" crap.

Bengals were picking top 5 and you always go BPA in that situation no matter what. I said several times I had them ranked Pitts - Chase - Sewell as draft prospects with any of the 3 I would be glad to see in stripes but Ja'Marr Chase was the higher ranked draft prospect on my board over Sewell at #5OA.

Edit: And for anyone that reads the draft section regularly knew I was high on Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith through the process.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 09:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: 1 sack yesterday, but we nearly lost Burrow on both deep balls to Chase. They took him out at the knees both times. 

Burrows continious knee slidining is gonna take out his knees before anything else does. He musn't forget his own weight and force alone can reinjure them.
Reply/Quote