Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sewell vs. ????
(10-15-2021, 02:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: All i'm saying is, every time Bengals fans talk about how a DE is going to have a huge day because of injuries or sub-par play leading in, it doesn't turn out well...

Yeah. We thought Carl Lawson would have a huge game against the Giants and a struggling Andrew Thomas last year. Thomas shut him out and had a great game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: All i'm saying is, every time Bengals fans talk about how a DE is going to have a huge day because of injuries or sub-par play leading in, it doesn't turn out well...

First time for everything.

Sad to see if was against my love child in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 08:28 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Sewell was billed as the second coming of Anthony Munoz. If Chase was putting up the equivalent of what Sewell was doing, everyone on here would be worried and calling him a bust and saying we should have taken Sewell. Comes with the territory of such a hotly contested debate. When one plays well they will get propped up more than they probably should, and when one plays bad, they will get dogged harder than they should .

Strawman. I didn't compare Sewell to Munoz, and frankly most people didn't. I knew he was/is an elite prospect, but I also knew both Sewell and Chase missed last year and there was a chance they'd come out of the gate slow.

Actually, both or them did show rust, but Chase was able to REALLY shake it off after preseason.

...and a bad take is a bad take. Don't say stuff out your bunghole just because you're salty. I have zero respect for that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson took Sewell to school today. Gave up one sack in the stat books, another sack only avoided by Goff barely making it over the LOS, multiple pressures, at least two holds and so on. The only reason it wasn't a 5 sack Antwaan Odom fest was the Lions started giving him help with a back on almost every passing snap.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 05:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hendrickson took Sewell to school today. Gave up one sack in the stat books, another sack only avoided by Goff barely making it over the LOS, multiple pressures, at least two holds and so on. The only reason it wasn't a 5 sack Antwaan Odom fest was the Lions started giving him help with a back on almost every passing snap.

Very possible he will be a bust.

Of course, no one predicted he'd be a bust, so kinda silly for anyone to gloat about it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 05:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Strawman. I didn't compare Sewell to Munoz, and frankly most people didn't. I knew he was/is an elite prospect, but I also knew both Sewell and Chase missed last year and there was a chance they'd come out of the gate slow.

Actually, both or them did show rust, but Chase was able to REALLY shake it off after preseason.

...and a bad take is a bad take. Don't say stuff out your bunghole just because you're salty. I have zero respect for that.

Calling one a generational talent like most people did is pretty big leap. Meanwhile you actually have a generational talent on our team like Chase. He’s in the conversation on every statistic for greatest start along with HOF Randy Moss.

Not sure what you mean by bad take, but A bad take is we should have taken a LT when we already had a solid one.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:01 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Calling one a generational talent like most people did is pretty big leap. Meanwhile you actually have a generational talent on our team like Chase. He’s in the conversation on every statistic for greatest start along with HOF Randy Moss.

Not sure what you mean by bad take, but A bad take is we should have taken a LT when we already had a solid one.

Saying a guy is a generational prospect doesn't imply that he will kill it from day 1.

Yes, Chase is great. I love Chase. He's looking like the right pick, if I'm being honest.

Thing is, I don't like when people act like they predicted Sewell would bust when they really didn't, and nobody thought Chase would be THIS good from jump, either. Most pegged him for around 900 yards this year in the stat prediction thread.

People are salty over the long debate we had, so they're acting like they made predictions that they really didn't, and also slapping a bust label on a guy after 5 (now 6) games.

That's what I meant by "bad takes".
Reply/Quote
I don't get why we can't be excited about Chase being a stud rookie...while not taking pleasure in Sewell's struggles.

I loved the Chase pick, even though he was my 3rd choice. I'm ecstatic that he seems to be the real deal and he's been invaluable to the offense this year. At the same time, I'm rooting for Sewell to figure it out and start producing at a higher level because I think he's a good kid, a very talented player...and I want to see him do well, even though he's not a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't get why we can't be excited about Chase being a stud rookie...while not taking pleasure in Sewell's struggles.

I loved the Chase pick, even though he was my 3rd choice. I'm ecstatic that he seems to be the real deal and he's been invaluable to the offense this year. At the same time, I'm rooting for Sewell to figure it out and start producing at a higher level because I think he's a good kid, a very talented player...and I want to see him do well, even though he's not a Bengal.

Nobody said we couldn't be "excited" about those things (heck, I'm thrilled about it, because I'm a Bengals fan), but for many, it's not about being excited so much as sticking somebody else's nose in it.

If you're going to do that, and it's really not accurate as far as the predictions that were made this offseason, then yeah..I'll call BS what it is.

But as for my own rooting interest? I hope Chase is the best Bengals WR in team history (I've already predicted he will be multiple times, even though I'm supposed to be a hater), and as for Sewell? He can kick rocks. He's a Lion.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't get why we can't be excited about Chase being a stud rookie...while not taking pleasure in Sewell's struggles.

I think it's the same reason you see some Bengals fans delighting in Tua's weak start to his career and kinda, sorta rooting for Herbert to come back down to Earth.

They want to know that Burrow was the best pick in 2020.

I'm not saying it's a rational outlook, but it is an understandable one.
Reply/Quote
Also, to give my perspective on why I get a little irritatable with this subject (not that anyone cares), I've been in a great mood after our games the last 3 weeks. We've been playing amazing football.

Our QB looks elite. Our rookie WR is playing like Randy Moss. Our defense is great. Mixon I having his best year. I'm happy. Even when we lost to GB, I felt pretty good. Then I log on here looking forward to positivity, and instead the top thread (when I logged in) for all 3 weeks was something about Sewell/Chase and people rubbing it in.

Then if I reply, I'm the toxic one. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nobody said we couldn't be "excited" about those things (heck, I'm thrilled about it, because I'm a Bengals fan), but for many, it's not about being excited so much as sticking somebody else's nose in it.

If you're going to do that, and it's really not accurate as far as the predictions that were made this offseason, then yeah..I'll call BS what it is.

But as for my own rooting interest? I hope Chase is the best Bengals WR in team history (I've already predicted he will be multiple times, even though I'm supposed to be a hater), and as for Sewell? He can kick rocks. He's a Lion.

What I'm talking about specifically, is those people who can't just be happy about Chase...but also get a boner every time Sewell struggles. The same was true of others who were beating off to Chase's issues in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, tbf some of us predicted Chase would lead the team in yards and TD’s in bfine’s thread. I know I did. Not trying to “rub any noses in it.” Just saying, there’s a reason why some of us were fighting so hard for Chase when we also could have used help on the OL. He was just too good to pass up.

Nobody predicted Chase would ball this much. Not even you.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, tbf some of us predicted Chase would lead the team in yards and TD’s in bfine’s thread. I know I did. Not trying to “rub any noses in it.” Just saying, there’s a reason why some of us were fighting so hard for Chase when we also could have used help on the OL. He was just too good to pass up.

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
We’re still doing this?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Also, to give my perspective on why I get a little irritatable with this subject (not that anyone cares), I've been in a great mood after our games the last 3 weeks. We've been playing amazing football.

Our QB looks elite. Our rookie WR is playing like Randy Moss. Our defense is great. Mixon I having his best year. I'm happy. Even when we lost to GB, I felt pretty good. Then I log on here looking forward to positivity, and instead the top thread (when I logged in) for all 3 weeks was something about Sewell/Chase and people rubbing it in.

Then if I reply, I'm the toxic one. Mellow

The bothersome thing is that this team still needs better O-line talent and play regardless what Chase does.

This team needed a both a playmaker like Chase and offensive line help.

I preferred Slater to Sewell anyway but I understand why Shake and others were "team Sewell".

My understanding in general is not that they were "team Sewell" but "team fix the O-line" which I agree with.

Chase just made more sense in my eyes because for the draft position he had the higher value...  again my opinion and not fact at the time.

I just thought Chase could make an immediate impact for targets that AJ was doing zilch for us and stretch the field(the chemistry with Burrow was an added bonus).

I'm not gonna gloat about Chase doing at the very least what I expected him to do.  He's far more than exceeded it.

The same with Sewell lacking on the Lions.  I didn't feel like he himself was the sole answer to our O-line woes.

There is still work to be done boys.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well I was on the Sewell band wagon but if he was going to end up playing like that it would have been real depressing to see chase balling out somewhere else. Then again maybe chase wouldn’t have balled it out somewhere else. There is something to be said about having that experience with burrow at LSU.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:48 PM)mustang473 Wrote: We’re still doing this?

Yeah its pretty dumb
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 06:48 PM)mustang473 Wrote: We’re still doing this?

I think the problem is that both sides had people who thought if they didn't get their pick it would be the worst thing ever. I wanted Chase, but I would've been cool with Sewell. I definitely had no idea that Chase would burst on the scene the way he has tho.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 07:00 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: I think the problem is that both sides had people who thought if they didn't get their pick it would be the worst thing ever. I wanted Chase, but I would've been cool with Sewell. I definitely had no idea that Chase would burst on the scene the way he has tho.

What didn't help were analysts and media talking heads saying if they didn't pick Sewell that Burrow would be in a morgue.

When they were using "typical Bengals" and "shiny new toy" comments about even considering Chase in the draft.

These feelings and thoughts were often abound outside these message boards.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote