Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shannara Chronicles
Anyone else watching? If so what do you think?
Reply/Quote
Watched the first episode last night...

missed the second but got it recorded now to watch later.

So far i really like it. hopefully it sticks around for a while... Also this is the type of world that would probly make a great video game.
Reply/Quote
I read elfstones, sword and wish song when I was in hs and was amazed how much things started coming back into me as I was watching. I know there are tons more books now so I think I'm going to have to get them all and go on a binge.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:53 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: I read elfstones, sword and wish song when I was in hs and was amazed how much things started coming back into me as I was watching. I know there are tons more books now so I think I'm going to have to get them all and go on a binge.

hmmm should have figured there was a book series behind it...

To Half priced books....
Reply/Quote
Apparently Brooks has been writting this series since 1976
Reply/Quote
Damn, didn't realize he had been writing them that long. Elfstones was the first fantasy book I ever read.
Reply/Quote
anyone still watching this? its getting really good...

last episodes little nods to mortal kombat were cool as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 04:53 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: I read elfstones, sword and wish song when I was in hs and was amazed how much things started coming back into me as I was watching. I know there are tons more books now so I think I'm going to have to get them all and go on a binge.

Yeah, I also read Sword and Elfstones back in HS. I'll have to check out this show.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 12:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: anyone still watching this? its getting really good...

last episodes little nods to mortal kombat were cool as well.

Haven't watched the last episode yet but still enjoying it.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 03:32 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yeah, I also read Sword and Elfstones back in HS. I'll have to check out this show.

its on MTV on tuesdays @ 10... i believe they have them all on the mtv app if you wanna catch up.

I enjoy it but i have no reference to the books as i never heard of them till this show so i cant tell you how good its doing or not.

Be interested to see what someone who enjoyed the books think
Reply/Quote

Do IT.

Start with Running with the Demon though.  After Angel Fire East move onto the Genesis of Shannara.

I have read all of them, except for maybe the last of the High Druid's Blade trilogy.  I am not sure if that one has been released yet.

As to the show.  I gave up on Cable and Satellite.  So I don't have MTV.  I will catch it on Netflix or some other when it is released on them.

How does Amberle look?  The Reaper?  How about Allanon?
Reply/Quote
Amberle and Aratrea are both smoking hot. Allanon looks like the bad ass he is.

On a side note for anyone who has read the guardians of the flame series, I heard they are working something up for it too. Hopefully a tv series but the article I read didn't say.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 10:06 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Amberle and Aratrea are both smoking hot. Allanon looks like the bad ass he is.

On a side note for anyone who has read the guardians of the flame series, I heard they are working something up for it too. Hopefully a tv series but the article I read didn't say.

Eritrea is already introduced?

Would have figured they would've waited a bit before bringing her in.  I won't spoil anything but if you read the books you know why.
Reply/Quote
Watched about half of the episodes. It is pretty good. Starting to recall some of the story
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Ok.  I had my reservations about this.  After all, The Legend of the Seeker was a disaster.

The opening is so far terrible.  More unnecessary PC BS with Girl Power. 

The books never treat women poorly, so don't add this element to the show.

The actress playing Amberle is cute, but to me she should have been a blonde.  AnnaSophia Rob would have been a good choice if she were available and interested.

Eritrea is very beautiful. However, I remember her in Pan's Labyrinth and as such still see her as a young girl.

Mild spoiler here:

The Chosen don't have to run a gauntlet and while the books do say females aren't normally chosen, they are occasionally chosen, but for a specific purpose.  You find out even more in the Dark Legacy books that it has to be a SPECIFIC female and the Ellcrys is the one that chooses her.

Allanon as a warrior Druid?  There are warrior Druids but Allanon didn't strike me as one of them.

So I really hate the opening and I hope it gets better.  btw, I am not a purist, but I had a feeling this would happen to the show. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 05:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hmmm should have figured there was a book series behind it...

To Half priced books....

A series of books that I read as a teenager. The show has been better than expected imho and the books were very good as well. I haven't read any of them in over 25 years but as the series unfolded it began to come back to me. Looking forward to next season.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 03:31 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: A series of books that I read as a teenager. The show has been better than expected imho and the books were very good as well. I haven't read any of them in over 25 years but as the series unfolded it began to come back to me. Looking forward to next season.

yeah this seasons finale was pretty good..

I should have figured out the main characters as it is called the Shannara Chronicles and Will was the last son of Shannara.

Hopefully Aetral is still alive and kicking.

So without spoling anything to big to anyone that has read the book and finished season 1... Is it about on pace for season per book or did that season eat up a couple books?

when i was reading descriptions of the books it seemed to be a triology then it would jump some timeframe (couple hundred years) which for elves might not be much of an issue to keep the same characters but half elves and humans might eventually run into issues. (not the Druid as hes 100s of years old already)
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 03:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah this seasons finale was pretty good..

I should have figured out the main characters as it is called the Shannara Chronicles and Will was the last son of Shannara.

Hopefully Aetral is still alive and kicking.      

So without spoling anything to big to anyone that has read the book and finished season 1...  Is it about on pace for season per book or did that season eat up a couple books?

when i was reading descriptions of the books it seemed to be a triology then it would jump some timeframe (couple hundred years)  which for elves might not be much of an issue to keep the same characters but half elves and humans might eventually run into issues.  (not the Druid as hes 100s of years old already)

Do you mean Eritrea?  The rover girl?

I won't spoil anything but the books cover quite of bit of time.

The Word/Void covers our time. 

The Genesis of Shannara is a not so distant future.

The Legends of Shannara is set at least 500 years after the Genesis.

The First King of Shannara is countless years after the Legends duology.  It itself is set 500 years before the Sword of Shannara.

The Sword / Elfstones / Wishsong are all part of a trilogy that read more as independent books.  Meaning you could read anyone of them without having to read the others.  However they are the Shea Ohmsford line.  Shea / his grandson Wil / great grandchildren Brin and Jair.

Then about 300 years after Wishsong is the quadrology the Heritage of Shannara.  These 4 books all follow 3 events that are happening at the same time.  While the Ohmsford brothers that descended from Jair set out to retrieve the fabled Sword of Shannara, Walker Boh a descendant of Brin must bring back the Druids, Wren Ohmsford must seek the Elves and come to terms with her own heritage.

About 150 years later is the Voyage of Jerle Shannara.

About 20 years after that is the High Druid of Shannara.

About 100 years after that is the Dark Legacy of Shannara - these books go into a lot of detail about certain things.

About 100 years after that is The Defenders of Shannara.

So Nest Freemark was born in 1983 - she was 11 at the opening of Running with the Demon - making the start around 1994.

As you can see. The series has traversed nearly 2000 years or more.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 03:10 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Do you mean Eritrea?  The rover girl?

I won't spoil anything but the books cover quite of bit of time.

The Word/Void covers our time. 

The Genesis of Shannara is a not so distant future.

The Legends of Shannara is set at least 500 years after the Genesis.

The First King of Shannara is countless years after the Legends duology.  It itself is set 500 years before the Sword of Shannara.

The Sword / Elfstones / Wishsong are all part of a trilogy that read more as independent books.  Meaning you could read anyone of them without having to read the others.  However they are the Shea Ohmsford line.  Shea / his grandson Wil / great grandchildren Brin and Jair.

Then about 300 years after Wishsong is the quadrology the Heritage of Shannara.  These 4 books all follow 3 events that are happening at the same time.  While the Ohmsford brothers that descended from Jair set out to retrieve the fabled Sword of Shannara, Walker Boh a descendant of Brin must bring back the Druids, Wren Ohmsford must seek the Elves and come to terms with her own heritage.

About 150 years later is the Voyage of Jerle Shannara.

About 20 years after that is the High Druid of Shannara.

About 100 years after that is the Dark Legacy of Shannara - these books go into a lot of detail about certain things.

About 100 years after that is The Defenders of Shannara.

So Nest Freemark was born in 1983 - she was 11 at the opening of Running with the Demon - making the start around 1994.

As you can see. The series has traversed nearly 2000 years or more.

Which is why i was asking as it doesnt seem a good set up for a long running series as to much will change from one season to the next lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 11:38 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Which is why i was asking as it doesnt seem a good set up for a long running series as to much will change from one season to the next lol.

Which is why I actually was hoping for movies.

What I wanted was Running with the Demon to be done first.  The actress I had in mind for Nest Freemark was Chloe Grace-Moretz, of course this was right after Kick-Ass.  Then as she got older do Knight of the Word and Angel Fire East.

After that series, then start in with the Genesis of Shannara, with the obvious shout outs to the original series.  Rinse and repeat.

The reason this works so well, is because of the time frames we wouldn't have to worry about getting the same actors or actresses, however by mentioning their characters you would have a connection to the previous movies.  Just like the books do. 

This could have been a long running movie series (probably setting records) and spanned for 30 years of film making.  If the movies aren't successful or lose their money making ability, then you could stop after finishing up one story line.
Reply/Quote