Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Key Move for the O-line may just be to Draft Clint Boling's replacement
Looks like we won't be seeing an Offensive Line over haul or multiple O-line position upgrades.

The best we may get to expect is that a solid Guard prospect gets taken fairly high in the Draft. Say by no later than round 3.

Maybe it will be a Guard with potential Tackle possibility but I don't expect more than one O-lineman to be taken within the first 3 rounds, maybe 4.

The Bengals intentions for taking this player may not be to fill the Right Guard hole long term but instead to get someone in place to enable them to allow Clint Boling to move on in Free Agency after the 2019 season.

Far from a Plan to ultimately create a dominant O-line with 5 solid positions.

The Plan may just be to prepare for a new Hole to fill by getting Clint Boling's 2020 replacement in the 2019 Draft.

The Steelers tie up a lot of money into their O-line by comparison. The Steeler line has players that have been playing together for a long time forming continuity & excellent O-line results.

Investment in the O-line may be a foundational piece around Steeler success over the decades while the Bengals don't appear to value that approach.

If the Key Draft move in 2019 is in fact finding Clint Boling's replacement then upgrading the O-line Unit as a whole takes somewhat of a back seat.

Upgrading right tackle or right guard longer term gets resorted to just making sure they can replace the left guard when he leaves.

And if they swing & miss on the Boling replacement, then what. The line gets worse.

Just not so sure the Bengals new day will involve the pursuit of a Top O-line.

To get there means actually investing in it with a sense of tenacity to actually get it to that level.

We may be watching Clint Boling leave a year from now & crossing our fingers that his replacement doesn't reveal a new hole.
Reply/Quote
A) I think the Bengals learned a lesson letting Zeitler go, B) BOling won't get the huge deal Cleveland gave Zeitler. I think he gets re-signed.
Reply/Quote
well if Price Glenn Hart and Miller work out better this season than last the OL might fix itself
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well if Price Glenn Hart and Miller work out better this season than last the OL might fix itself

I just saw the John Miller signing after I created this thread.

I feel a little better. Tongue
Reply/Quote
Lindstrom or Bradbury in round 2-3 range would work. I also, don't think they let Boiling walk.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I still think they have to draft an OT high. Glenn and Hart are the only tackles on the roster. Hart is terrible and Glenn has been injured the last 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I still think they have to draft an OT high. Glenn and Hart are the only tackles on the roster. Hart is terrible and Glenn has been injured the last 3 seasons.

Not looking for an excuse for Hart, because I'm not really high on him, but how much do you think he was hobbled last year by the guard next to him?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not looking for an excuse for Hart, because I'm not really high on him, but how much do you think he was hobbled last year by the guard next to him?

I would think it would be a factor.

Also losing a veteran QB with the Dalton injury & AJ Green injury. Good QB's can make their O-lines look better and keep defenses more honest than a QB with little experience can.

Also, easier to blitz with no AJ Green, Eifert etc.

Still need to upgrade from Hart at some point soon but Hart could show a bit of improvement in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I still think they have to draft an OT high. Glenn and Hart are the only tackles on the roster. Hart is terrible and Glenn has been injured the last 3 seasons.

Hart was actually better than Glenn through a large chunk of the season lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: I would think it would be a factor.

Also losing a veteran QB with the Dalton injury & AJ Green injury. Good QB's can make their O-lines look better and keep defenses more honest than a QB with little experience can.

Also, easier to blitz with no AJ Green, Eifert etc.

Still need to upgrade from Hart at some point soon but Hart could show a bit of improvement in 2019.

Oh yeah, I'm all for upgrading, but I don't think he is as bad as he played, due to all those factors and having Redmond beside him.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not looking for an excuse for Hart, because I'm not really high on him, but how much do you think he was hobbled last year by the guard next to him?

I've said this before but I think this is a great question and point.  

I also think the mental energy with Redmond and Price was not calming for Hart.  O-Line need to get into the flow.  But I will say this, there is no evidence at the pro level Hart is an adequate OT.  I like him as a person.  I think he really tries and helps team-mates up and all that.  I am just going by skill and pad level.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Another factor that has hurt the O-Line over the recent years is the lack of a stud blocking TE.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Another factor that has hurt the O-Line over the recent years is the lack of a stud blocking TE.

Tight end T J Hockenson could be in the Bengals sites during round one.

Supposed to be a solid blocker and pass catcher.

If the 1st round pick goes to the Offensive side of the ball then he may be the pick that starts the Zac era.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 02:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: Tight end T J Hockenson could be in the Bengals sites during round one.

Supposed to be a solid blocker and pass catcher.

If the 1st round pick goes to the Offensive side of the ball then he may be the pick that starts the Zac era.

if you want blocking at the TE position. Don't blow a first round pick on it.
Get someone like Georgia's Issaac Nauta.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: Looks like we won't be seeing an Offensive Line over haul or multiple O-line position upgrades.

The best we may get to expect is that a solid Guard prospect gets taken fairly high in the Draft. Say by no later than round 3.

Maybe it will be a Guard with potential Tackle possibility but I don't expect more than one O-lineman to be taken within the first 3 rounds, maybe 4.

The Bengals intentions for taking this player may not be to fill the Right Guard hole long term but instead to get someone in place to enable them to allow Clint Boling to move on in Free Agency after the 2019 season.

Far from a Plan to ultimately create a dominant O-line with 5 solid positions.

The Plan may just be to prepare for a new Hole to fill by getting Clint Boling's 2020 replacement in the 2019 Draft.

The Steelers tie up a lot of money into their O-line by comparison. The Steeler line has players that have been playing together for a long time forming continuity & excellent O-line results.

Investment in the O-line may be a foundational piece around Steeler success over the decades while the Bengals don't appear to value that approach.

If the Key Draft move in 2019 is in fact finding Clint Boling's replacement then upgrading the O-line Unit as a whole takes somewhat of a back seat.

Upgrading right tackle or right guard longer term gets resorted to just making sure they can replace the left guard when he leaves.

And if they swing & miss on the Boling replacement, then what. The line gets worse.

Just not so sure the Bengals new day will involve the pursuit of a Top O-line.

To get there means actually investing in it with a sense of tenacity to actually get it to that level.

We may be watching Clint Boling leave a year from now & crossing our fingers that his replacement doesn't reveal a new hole.
Good God, I hope the key move in this draft is not replacing Boling.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 02:58 PM)McC Wrote: Good God, I hope the key move in this draft is not replacing Boling.

I meant it in the sense of the key O-line related Draft move.

Surely they must have something better up their sleeves at some other position group that will be the Overall Ultimate Key move of the Draft.

Gotta hope so...
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 03:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: I meant it in the sense of the key O-line related Draft move.

Surely they must have something better up their sleeves at some other position group that will be the Overall Ultimate Key move of the Draft.

Gotta hope so...

Hell, I'll be happy to have the first rounder step right in and make an impact from the start.  Everything after that is gravy.  And it would be nice to keep killing the second round too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I’m sure it didn’t help just start with the penalties alone can’t balme the right guard for that. Hart got manhandled at times when I watched him play when he was one on one on the edge. Posted some videos.

https://twitter.com/brandonthornnfl/status/1039712441305722880?s=21
https://twitter.com/brownsfilmbdn/status/1067124540935933953?s=21
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 02:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: if you want blocking at the TE position. Don't blow a first round pick on it.
Get someone like Georgia's Issaac Nauta.

If you think Hockenson is just a blocking TE you haven't seen him play.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 04:33 PM)Synric Wrote: If you think Hockenson is just a blocking TE you haven't seen him play.

He is special and worthy of 11th pick.  Would improve the line immediately.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote