Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shaquem Griffin
I saw this guy play quite a bit at Central Florida and was always amazed at his play....because he only has one hand. I would always say "wow, that dude is everywhere, and he only has one hand". After watching his tape more and more, and the ridiculous 40 he turned in at the Underwear Olympics, I am starting to leave the "and he only has one hand" off the end of my statements.

I remember being scared off of Adrian Clayborn because he had Erb's Palsey in one arm, leading one scout (that liked him more than I did) to call him "the one-armed asskicker". Although he had two seasons where he was lost to injury, last year for Atlanta he had 9.5 sacks and two FF (which he recovered). And that is with one ARM that is less than functional, as a defensive end.

When you run a 4.38 Forty yard dash as a WR or CB, you get attention, but as a LB?

Granted, he is the size of a big safety, but couldn't this guy be a solid contributor on special teams and on nickel packages? Why not put him next to Burfict? He has incredible range and instincts. Maybe a third or fourth round selection? Thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, his twin brother Shaquill (who didn't redshirt his freshman year and was drafted in the 3rd round by the Seahawks, started 11 games as a rookie, had 59 tackles, 15 passes defensed, and an INT last year.

Here is his Bio:

Shaquem Griffin is not just a great story, he's an excellent football player. He lost his left hand due to a rate prenatal condition, but that did not prevent him from being named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year in his first year as a starting outside linebacker in 2016. He led the Knights with 57 solo tackles (had 92 total), 20 tackles for loss, and 11.5 sacks by chasing down plays with speed and wrapping his arms, while also intercepting a pass and breaking up seven others on the year. Griffin was again a first-team all-conference choice in 2017 (74 tackles, 13.5 for loss, team-high seven sacks, one interception, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He has played football with his "older" brother, Shaquill, since they were young. Shaquill came out of the womb one minute before Shaquem, and also left UCF a year earlier (drafted in the third round by Seattle in 2017) than his brother because he did not redshirt. Shaquem played in one game as a sophomore (against Penn State in Ireland), and then played 12 games on special teams and safety, making nine tackles on the year. Griffin was a second-team All-State pick in Florida as a senior, excelled in 7-on-7 teams growing up, and also could have gone to several schools on a track scholarship.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's no way he doesn't get drafted. The question is where will people value him? I don't think many teams will take the chance with a day 1 or day 2 pick. But I bet he's at the top of the list in the 4th or 5th round.

That's the sweet spot where you can draft a special teams player that maybe, just maybe, can turn into a super star due to their athletic talent and drive.

He has a lot of barricades in his way, but he seems to be the most driven young man in this draft. If we had not yet drafted a Linebacker in the first three rounds, I'd take a long hard look at him with our 3rd round Comp pick or our 4th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:30 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's no way he doesn't get drafted. The question is where will people value him? I don't think many teams will take the chance with a day 1 or day 2 pick. But I bet he's at the top of the list in the 4th or 5th round.

That's the sweet spot where you can draft a special teams player that maybe, just maybe, can turn into a super star due to their athletic talent and drive.

He has a lot of barricades in his way, but he seems to be the most driven young man in this draft. If we had not yet drafted a Linebacker in the first three rounds, I'd take a long hard look at him with our 3rd round Comp pick or our 4th round pick.
I agree with this, I think 4th round is when he comes on a lot of teams boards because he will be a special teams super star out of the gate. He is actually a really good pass rusher so you could work him in during some pass rushing packages early in his career.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:30 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: There's no way he doesn't get drafted. The question is where will people value him? I don't think many teams will take the chance with a day 1 or day 2 pick. But I bet he's at the top of the list in the 4th or 5th round.

This falls exactly where I would select him. I think a 3rd round pick on him would actually be a rather smart one. We don't have many linebackers that can cover a TE, its been our downfall for about 5-6 seasons now. We play so much nickel that I could see him being used similarly to a Deone Buchanan in Arizona. Play the smaller S/LB in the middle and just let him use speed and instincts. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I saw this guy play quite a bit at Central Florida and was always amazed at his play....because he only has one hand.  I would always say "wow, that dude is everywhere, and he only has one hand".  After watching his tape more and more, and the ridiculous 40 he turned in at the Underwear Olympics, I am starting to leave the "and he only has one hand" off the end of my statements.

I remember being scared off of Adrian Clayborn because he had Erb's Palsey in one arm, leading one scout (that liked him more than I did) to call him "the one-armed asskicker".  Although he had two seasons where he was lost to injury, last year for Atlanta he had 9.5 sacks and two FF (which he recovered).  And that is with one ARM that is less than functional, as a defensive end.  

When you run a 4.38 Forty yard dash as a WR or CB, you get attention, but as a LB?

Granted, he is the size of a big safety, but couldn't this guy be a solid contributor on special teams and on nickel packages?  Why not put him next to Burfict?  He has incredible range and instincts.  Maybe a third or fourth round selection?  Thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, his twin brother Shaquill (who didn't redshirt his freshman year and was drafted in the 3rd round by the Seahawks, started 11 games as a rookie, had 59 tackles, 15 passes defensed, and an INT last year.

Here is his Bio:

Shaquem Griffin is not just a great story, he's an excellent football player. He lost his left hand due to a rate prenatal condition, but that did not prevent him from being named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year in his first year as a starting outside linebacker in 2016. He led the Knights with 57 solo tackles (had 92 total), 20 tackles for loss, and 11.5 sacks by chasing down plays with speed and wrapping his arms, while also intercepting a pass and breaking up seven others on the year. Griffin was again a first-team all-conference choice in 2017 (74 tackles, 13.5 for loss, team-high seven sacks, one interception, three pass breakups, two forced fumbles). He has played football with his "older" brother, Shaquill, since they were young. Shaquill came out of the womb one minute before Shaquem, and also left UCF a year earlier (drafted in the third round by Seattle in 2017) than his brother because he did not redshirt. Shaquem played in one game as a sophomore (against Penn State in Ireland), and then played 12 games on special teams and safety, making nine tackles on the year. Griffin was a second-team All-State pick in Florida as a senior, excelled in 7-on-7 teams growing up, and also could have gone to several schools on a track scholarship.

Do not know anything about him much other than what you have posted but take your word for it.
Plus have a soft spot for Central Florida players per my Uncle being Athletic Director there in 60's, 70's, and 80's and just recently retired from there

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:44 AM)dr1441 Wrote: This falls exactly where I would select him. I think a 3rd round pick on him would actually be a rather smart one. We don't have many linebackers that can cover a TE, its been our downfall for about 5-6 seasons now. We play so much nickel that I could see him being used similarly to a Deone Buchanan in Arizona. Play the smaller S/LB in the middle and just let him use speed and instincts. 

Everyone saying he is too small should realize he is nearly the EXACT same size as Odell Thurman, who we had playing MLB.  Excellent point about Buchanon, and I don't think Sua Cravens was much bigger than 230 if memory serves.  
Reply/Quote

Agree with CJD. 3rd or 4th round and i am fine with Griffin. He has so much heart it would be contagious.
Reply/Quote
The kid is an amazing story! I would take a team of 53 players with his grit and determination over the overhyped, I just need to show up players.
Reply/Quote
Good Morning Football on the NFL network sure seems to like him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote