Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn Oakman Acquitted!
Acquitted of all charges, as the jury found that the chick was blowing smoke.

Would you give him a shot? He may not be NFL ready, but given a few months (he has been playing in Arena Leagues or something, since he came out of college, so he hasn't been sitting on his ass) in an NFL program, I'd think he'd be back in the wing of things; he's 267 right now, he says.

I'd bring him in on an incentive deal, but at the league minimum guaranteed; someone with that size and movement, would definitely contribute in some way.

On a slightly different note, what would happen to the chick who could have potentially ****ed up his life? Could she get thrashed in civil court?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 10:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Acquitted of all charges, as the jury found that the chick was blowing smoke.

Would you give him a shot? He may not be NFL ready, but given a few months (he has been playing in Arena Leagues or something, since he came out of college, so he hasn't been sitting on his ass) in an NFL program, I'd think he'd be back in the wing of things; he's 267 right now, he says.

I'd bring him in on an incentive deal, but at the league minimum guaranteed; someone with that size and movement, would definitely contribute in some way.

On a slightly different note, what would happen to the chick who could have potentially ****ed up his life? Could she get thrashed in civil court?

She absolutely can be if he decides to. I'm no lawyer but I think the state can even pick up the criminal case if they decide to press charges. I could be wrong, but if it's true that she lied they should.
Reply/Quote
Added links:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824394-shawn-oakman-wants-to-play-in-nfl-after-sexual-assault-charge-acquittal
https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/shawn-oakman-looking-towards-nfl-career-after-sexual-assault-acquittal-news.73906.html
https://sports.yahoo.com/shawn-oakman-hoping-play-nfl-134626886.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/02/28/shawn-oakman-former-baylor-football-player-found-not-guilty-rape/3022225002/
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/former-baylor-de-shawn-oakman-found-not-guilty-sexual-assault-trial-230040603.html
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/28/shawn-oakman-found-not-guilty-sexual-assault-baylor-bears

And thanks for that, Kuhl. According to some of those links, it looks like the jury wished to see testimony that contradicted itself, which could point to her lying. Not sure though; my American Justice expertise is built on the Law and Order series, so its nothing stellar!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 10:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Acquitted of all charges, as the jury found that the chick was blowing smoke.

Never heard of him but at that weight is he a DE?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Never heard of him but at that weight is he a DE?

Absolutely, he's perfect for the 3-4 defense that we may or may not be switching to.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Never heard of him but at that weight is he a DE?

Even at his playing weight (believe it was 287), he's a DE.

(03-08-2019, 03:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, he's perfect for the 3-4 defense that we may or may not be switching to.

Works in a 4-3 too!

I'm super intrigued by him because unlike many in this same situation, he was actually playing in the downtime, so its not like he needs to drastically alter his life around.

That and, as you can see from the above articles, Baylor's past players have been settling left and right, to avoid going to trial, but Oakman refused a plea deal and maintained his innocence the whole time.

Not only ballsy, but a man who is a fighter, which completely switches his perception of the type of player he was.

He's hungry; I'd take a chance in a second.
Reply/Quote

I would, i think he could be a slightly better Michael Johnson at the worst. Played great next to Billings at Baylor.

To your last question Truck, people need to be accountable for accusing people like this.

It is way out of hand, this shit happens all the time now a days. It is honestly disgusting.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would, i think he could be a slightly better Michael Johnson at the worst. Played great next to Billings at Baylor.

To your last question Truck, people need to be accountable for accusing people like this.

It is way out of hand, this shit happens all the time now a days. It is honestly disgusting.

Absolutely.

And like I said in my last post, the other Baylor players accused all settled/plea dealt before going to trial; he refused a plea deal and went on with the proceedings; I'd be incredibly miffed if I was in his shoes, but an NFL (or AAF) team taking a chance on him and him wreaking havoc, would be all the motivation and redemption that he would need.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 05:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely.

And like I said in my last post, the other Baylor players accused all settled/plea dealt before going to trial; he refused a plea deal and went on with the proceedings; I'd be incredibly miffed if I was in his shoes, but an NFL (or AAF) team taking a chance on him and him wreaking havoc, would be all the motivation and redemption that he would need.

I like it, give him a chance. When i watched that Baylor D back in the day it was him and Billings. Oakman was great but Billings just blew me away.

Would like a reunion here.
Reply/Quote
You guys for real with Oakman?

He had 1 good year in college and then regressed the next year not even hitting 5 sacks. He  did not have the build, power or leverage, and no pass rush moves during the draft so why should we waste a spot now when he hasnt played in 4 years? If we want a guy that can set the edge but not really rush the passer we can find one that has played in the last 4 years. Pass for me.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 05:58 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: You guys for real with Oakman?

He had 1 good year in college and then regressed the next year not even hitting 5 sacks. He  did not have the build, power or leverage, and no pass rush moves during the draft so why should we waste a spot now when he hasnt played in 4 years? If we want a guy that can set the edge but not really rush the passer we can find one that has played in the last 4 years. Pass for me.

We are only saying as a rotational End at the back of the roster. Not like we are expecting him to come in here and start. He might be better than Michael Johnson who he precisely reminded me of at Baylor. He has that build for a 4-3, calm down Bob i would like for this guy to get another shot somewhere after the BS he had to go through.

The total lack of accountability where you can just accuse people of things and never be accountable for it is atrocious.
Reply/Quote

He was the "main attraction" on the dline that included Billings. After his Junior year he was known as the "LeBron James of football", He should have came out then, because after that he was known more for his abs than his play.

As to the OP: Pass. Now give me an olineman that has fallen on hard times and we can talk.

Side note: Who was the LB the bengals had a couple years back that did jail time?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He was the "main attraction" on the dline that included Billings. After his Junior year he was known as the "LeBron James of football", He should have came out then, because after that he was known more for his abs than his play.

As to the OP: Pass. Now give me an olineman that has fallen on hard times and we can talk.

Side note: Who was the LB the bengals had a couple years back that did jail time?

Just guessing... Cory Mays?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are only saying as a rotational End at the back of the roster. Not like we are expecting him to come in here and start. He might be better than Michael Johnson who he precisely reminded me of at Baylor. He has that build for a 4-3, calm down Bob i would like for this guy to get another shot somewhere after the BS he had to go through.

The total lack of accountability where you can just accuse people of things and never be accountable for it is atrocious.

Calm down, I thought I was calm?  Ninja

I just don't think a guy who was falling down every draft board out there during his draft because of technique and many other things, that has now not played football in 4 years, is the best we can do, even as a backend guy. Pretty sure we can find guys after round 4 and cheap in FA to provide more than him at this point. 

I do agree though, it sucks what happened to him but Id rather not be the team giving him a contract because of that, I want guys that will improve our team and I just dont think he will.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:15 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Calm down, I thought I was calm?  Ninja

I just don't think a guy who was falling down every draft board out there during his draft because of technique and many other things, that has now not played football in 4 years, is the best we can do, even as a backend guy. Pretty sure we can find guys after round 4 and cheap in FA to provide more than him at this point. 

I do agree though, it sucks what happened to him but Id rather not be the team giving him a contract because of that, I want guys that will improve our team and I just dont think he will.

He's been playing arena football, the past two years.  Granted, it's not 11 on 11 football, but arena football is fast paced and will have him in great physical condition to try out for an NFL team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's been playing arena football, the past two years.  Granted, it's not 11 on 11 football, but arena football is fast paced and will have him in great physical condition to try out for an NFL team.

I could only find 1 year that he played and he was not exactly looking good against weak competition. 

2 sacks and 43 tackles against guys in arena football, not exactly giving me confidence he could do any better against NFL caliber guys.

He was 25th in sacks and 27th in tackles, guys that belong in the NFL dont have 25+ guys outperforming them in the arena football league.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:15 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Calm down, I thought I was calm?  Ninja

(03-08-2019, 08:08 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I could only find 1 year that he played and he was not exactly looking good against weak competition. 

2 sacks and 43 tackles against guys in arena football, not exactly giving me confidence he could do any better against NFL caliber guys.

He was 25th in sacks and 27th in tackles, guys that belong in the NFL dont have 25+ guys outperforming them in the arena football league.

Thanks for all of this Bob, yeah, you talked me out of Oakman....

Wish him the best though and hope he gets some compensation for this crap.
Reply/Quote
1.  Just because he was found "not guilty" that does not mean he was innocent.  It just means the state could not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.  But it certainly clears him to pursue his NFL career.

2.  If we sign him it would be just like any other undrafted free agent.  He gets a chance to come to camp and make the team on a rookie minimum contract.  I don't see any other team giving him a better deal.

3.  Cedric Benson was out of the NFL when he was acquitted of his criminal charges and swooped in quickly to sign him.  Of course he was a much higher profile player than Oakman.
Reply/Quote