Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn Williams Debut.
What did everyone think of Williams debut as the starter?

I thought he played well overall, considering we held a potent passing offense in check most of the game.

I know one thing though, Reggie woulda made that pick Smirk
Reply/Quote
He will get there. Just gotta keep those eyes up when tackling, missed a few.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Missed at least half a dozen tackles, dropped the easy INT, allowed a TD (though it was an uncalled pick).

Not too hot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The announcers pointed out that a ball that is tipped and traveling end over end is very difficult to catch above the head with your hands only.

Never played organized football and have no clue how true that is.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't too good. Hoping he gets better and doesn't turn out to be one of those guys who just plays better off the bench.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What did everyone think of Williams debut as the starter?

I thought he played well overall, considering we held a potent passing offense in check most of the game.

I know one thing though, Reggie woulda made that pick Smirk

Yeah he was mostly looking for the big hit. Should have went for the pick. Over all our defense did well (I did not feel this way during the game.) considering the Jets were amped up, first home game and 9-11. Saw geno getting held quite a bit as well.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: The announcers pointed out that a ball that is tipped and traveling end over end is very difficult to catch above the head with your hands only.

Never played organized football and have no clue how true that is.

I will disagree just a little. That's why you do tip drills. Basically no one can force a ball to perfectly land right. But the tip drill gets you in a mind set to prepare for a ball that may just come to you.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
cleaning up the middle and run support is supposed to be his strong suit. The first one draws you a penalty if your jersey is orange and black, and he missed a few tackles including getting run over by Powell. I know some of us may be calling for Smith to start if Williams has another game like this but they need BOTH to go far this season.
Reply/Quote
I think he will be fine. He just needs to get some time under his belt.
Reply/Quote
Needs to keep his head up, and start wrapping his arms when going for a tackle. Other than that, he seems to be able to get into position to make a play, most of the time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I miss Reggie Nelson
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:02 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I miss Reggie Nelson

Given his play last year, I think we were going to miss him a little regardless of Willams' play.
Reply/Quote
On one tackle attempt the crown of his helmet was aimed toward the turf. Shit form and a good way to get yourself injured.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 12:02 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I miss Reggie Nelson

I'm hoping we see more of Deron Smith in passing situations.  The guy is a ballhawk.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Missed at least half a dozen tackles, dropped the easy INT, allowed a TD (though it was an uncalled pick).

Not too hot.

Stop now.

He missed MAYBE 2 tackles, not half a dozen.

He did some good things, some bad things; anaverage game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He may not be an all pro, but there's no doubt we have two safeties that can deliver a hit back there.
Reply/Quote
I miss Reggie, he was one of my favorite players. He probably would have caught the interception, and he was as sure a tackler as there was in this team. I think our young guys will be fine, but Reggie will always have a special place in my football heart. I remember an interview where they asked one of hte Bengals who the hardest hitter was on the team..... "Reggie Nelson...He hits like a Louisville Slugger" Hope he does well out in Kali, and gets one more huge contract.
Reply/Quote
Missed tackles are a concern...... on the defense.

Reply/Quote
Other than a couple missed tackles and the dropped INT I thought he played decently. His instincts seemed pretty good and he was never really out of position. I think he'll get better as he settles into the starting job.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:32 AM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: Other than a couple missed tackles and the dropped INT I thought he played decently.  His instincts seemed pretty good and he was never really out of position.  I think he'll get better as he settles into the starting job.

He'll either get better, or start drawing flags for leading with his head..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote