Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn Williams as Nickel LB
Thumbs Up 
With it being very likely Deangelo Williams misses this weekends game.  I would play Shawn Williams as a Nickel LB this Saturday vs Pittsburgh.  I like Burfict as the other Nickel LB. 

In Base package I would go with Rey M.; Vinny Rey and Burfict. 

I do not like Vinny Rey or Rey M. in coverage at all vs Heath Miller.  Shawn Williams; George Illoka and Reggie Nelson combo give us much better chance at getting off the field on 3rd downs. 

Never like to see a player get injured, but the injury to Lamur is actually helpful to the team if they get Shawn Williams in as the Nickel LB.
Reply/Quote
We did it with Taylor Mays with some success and I think ARZ (Deone Buchannon) play it as their base package.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Williams will play. Not sure id want a RB with a bad ankle playing in a playoff game, but something tells me that ankle will be taped and numbed, and DeAngelo will be out there.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 10:34 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Williams will play. Not sure id want a RB with a bad ankle playing in a playoff game, but something tells me that ankle will be taped and numbed, and DeAngelo will be out there.

Even if he plays Williams is good against the run.  It would be nice to have him covering Heath Miller over V Rey or Rey M, they simply cannot keep up with Miller.

Time to get creative and go all out.  At this point it's one and done so take away Ben's security blanket.
Reply/Quote
We do a pretty good job of keeping Brown from running wild especially on deep routes, Heath Miller feasting underneath however has always hurt us in 3rd down situations.
Reply/Quote
I think he will excel given the opportunity, remember he picked off Big Jen the last game up there against them.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Either do this (Williams) or put Leon Hall in and make his assignment the whole game to be Heath Miller's shadow. Leon has a career history where when they put him on a TE the result has been a pick six more than once.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:32 PM)CoreyK Wrote: Never like to see a player get injured, but the injury to Lamur is actually helpful to the team if they get Shawn Williams in as the Nickel LB.

If Williams would have been better than Lamur in this role then he would have already been playing.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Williams would have been better than Lamur in this role then he would have already been playing.

Not true at all.  Lemur is a turd and was a complete liability at LB as he couldn't cover or tackle worth a damn.  I'm never one to celebrate an injury but his was most definitely addition by subtraction.  This team has a very bad habit of holding on to players who aren't very good and when they are on the field other teams will actually target them.  Btw, Vinney Rey is one of those players as well.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2016, 07:32 PM)CoreyK Wrote: With it being very likely Deangelo Williams misses this weekends game.  I would play Shawn Williams as a Nickel LB this Saturday vs Pittsburgh.  I like Burfict as the other Nickel LB. 

In Base package I would go with Rey M.; Vinny Rey and Burfict. 

I do not like Vinny Rey or Rey M. in coverage at all vs Heath Miller.  Shawn Williams; George Illoka and Reggie Nelson combo give us much better chance at getting off the field on 3rd downs. 

Never like to see a player get injured, but the injury to Lamur is actually helpful to the team if they get Shawn Williams in as the Nickel LB.

I'd have Williams playing safety and make Iloka the nickel and make sure he sticks to Miller.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Williams would have been better than Lamur in this role then he would have already been playing.

This, plus I'm not sure the first playoff game is really the time to be experimenting with such a change.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 03:02 PM)NKYRob Wrote: This, plus I'm not sure the first playoff game is really the time to be experimenting with such a change.  

He's been doing it all year in place of Lamur, until the injuries added up at DB then he had to stay at S
Reply/Quote

Not necessarily. Gotta use the roster the most efficient way. You can hide some guys. Plus williams have been developing pretty well this year.
Reply/Quote

Or maybe we just would rather keep Williams reps to safety seeing how Iloka has been dinged up this season. Williams has played well this season and could offer some value being on the field more provided that Iloka is healthy and we don't have injury concerns at safety.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Lets change the position of one of our contributors the week of the playoff game... I think some of you guys overthink things like Marvin Lewis Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 05:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes. Lets change the position of one of our contributors the week of the playoff game... I think some of you guys overthink things like Marvin Lewis Cool

He's already played a little bit of the spot. I'm just expecting him to get increased snaps as the Nickle LB for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 03:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's been doing it all year in place of Lamur, until the injuries added up at DB then he had to stay at S

Apparently you're the only one that actually pays attention to where players are on the field, not just the letters next to their name on a roster. 

Williams has played quite a bit of Nickel LB this year, until Iloka got hurt and he had to fill in at safety. Not a new suggestion by the OP.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 07:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Williams has played quite a bit of Nickel LB this year, until Iloka got hurt and he had to fill in at safety. Not a new suggestion by the OP.

I have seen Williams lined up at LB in the nickle package, but it was not that common at all.

Before Iloka got hurt there were games where williams had zero snaps other than special teams
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 05:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes. Lets change the position of one of our contributors the week of the playoff game... I think some of you guys overthink things like Marvin Lewis Cool

Jake Fisher's #44 jersey would like a word.
Reply/Quote