Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn Williams is worthless in pass coverage
Sorry but we should have kept Reggie.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Sorry but we should have kept Reggie.

The Raiders passing defense is currently the worst in the NFL. Not saying it's all due to him, but he isn't saving that defense. In comparison we are 10th.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Raiders passing defense is currently the worst in the NFL. Not saying it's all due to him, but he isn't saving that defense. In comparison we are 10th.

Their corners are garbage.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: The Raiders passing defense is currently the worst in the NFL. Not saying it's all due to him, but he isn't saving that defense. In comparison we are 10th.

Fewer blown coverages on TEs, when Reggie was in the lineup.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fewer blown coverages on TEs, when Reggie was in the lineup.

He blew a big one yesterday against Atlanta. Was supposed to have inside coverage and gave up a massive score. Let's not pretend like Reggie Nelson didn't give up big plays.
Reply/Quote
Here is a fun one from the Atlanta game yesterday.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/9/18/12965378/oakland-raiders-struggles-covering-the-tight-end-rears-its-ugly-head-again
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 07:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The rest of the Cincinnati secondary is making Dre Kirkpatrick look like an all-pro!

Eh.... I dunno, Dre made himself look like an all-pro yesterday.  He actually played a great game, I thought.  Although our horrid play at the safety position (both of them) does certainly make our CBs look even better by comparison.  But our back end is pretty weak looking.  Williams looked out of position about 50% of the time, which is ridiculous given that he knew he was going to be a starter all offseason and camp.  He better pull a Margus Hunt superman turnaround, or we will be regretting that sizeable long-term deal we just gave him.  That's way too much money to be a starter on only special teams, which is where he's gonna have to go if he can't get in the game any better than yesterday...
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is all.

Dennards new name is now TOAST.

after watching him get beat just about every snap I noticed him on the field... well heres hoping we can retain Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fewer blown coverages on TEs, when Reggie was in the lineup.

Yep, sure miss Reggie.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We are better off with Smith. I know our safety's are "interchangeable", but we can't start two strong safety's in this passing league. Shaw is a corner (and looking like one of our best ones). Smith is a centerfielder. Just what we need. We need to see what we have in him anyway, before finding one becomes a priority in the draft.

Williams is who we thought he was. No reason for being disappointed in him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 11:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep, sure miss Reggie.

For the last five years haven't people said we couldn't cover TE's, and that was when Reggie was here? Didn't the Oakland Raiders just let three TE's combine for 185 yards on something like 12 receptions in the same game with Reggie? I think a lot of people around here like to look at Reggie with a bit of revisionist history. He was good, but by no means was he this all pro safety. He had a statistical anomaly last year in terms of interceptions and now people act like he never missed a play. The guy was good, he wasn't Charles Woodson.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:38 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dennards new name is now TOAST.

after watching him get beat just about every snap I noticed him on the field... well heres hoping we can retain Kirkpatrick.

I think Shaw looks light years ahead of Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:46 AM)J24 Wrote: This is what his 4th or 5th start give the guy some time.

This is what i am saying.

Geez, that is one of the best passing Offenses in the league and the week before we went against maybe an even better one.

I think we have held up very well in the passing game considering.

It is our OL in the running game that has been the problem.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:34 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think Shaw looks light years ahead of Dennard.

I think that is probably a result of Dennard missing so much time since he has been here. Hopefully Dennard catches on as he gets back in to it and we have two legit guys from that group.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think that is probably a result of Dennard missing so much time since he has been here. Hopefully Dennard catches on as he gets back in to it and we have two legit guys from that group.

Truth. If people were expecting Dennard to just step in and play great coming off injury they have wild expectations.

Shaw did look great though, have to give him props.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: For the last five years haven't people said we couldn't cover TE's, and that was when Reggie was here? Didn't the Oakland Raiders just let three TE's combine for 185 yards on something like 12 receptions in the same game with Reggie? I think a lot of people around here like to look at Reggie with a bit of revisionist history. He was good, but by no means was he this all pro safety. He had a statistical anomaly last year in terms of interceptions and now people act like he never missed a play. The guy was good, he wasn't Charles Woodson.

Would take him back in a split second. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I am not blaming Shawn yesterday but if we want better pass coverage you put in Derron Smith.

If you want hard hitting you put in Shawn.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would take him back in a split second. 

His performance yesterday was worse than either game Williams has played in this year. You are buying the idea of 2015 Reggie Nelson when you are getting constantly beaten 2016 Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what i am saying.

Geez, that is one of the best passing Offenses in the league and the week before we went against maybe an even better one.

I think we have held up very well in the passing game considering.

It is our OL in the running game that has been the problem.

getting beat now and then will happen... But blowing your assignment cant happen.

OL has been garbage in pass protection as well...  and its not just bodine....
Reply/Quote
I like Derron Smith far better than Shawn Williams. 

I think the only reason they go with Williams is that Iloka plays centerfield position (Free Safety) and Smith would ideally play same position as Iloka.  

That being said, just move Iloka to Strong Safety and throw Derron Smith in centerfield (free).  Shawn Williams can then move to Nickel LB but he should not be in pass coverage as a starting Safety for this team. 

When Burfict comes back I would go with this Nickel lineup:
LB Burfict
LB S. Williams

CB Jones
CB Kirkpatrick
CB Dennard/Shaw

SS Iloka
FS Smith

Dime
LB Burfict

CB Jones
CB Kirkpatrick
CB Dennard
CB Shaw

SS Iloka
FS Smith

I don't like Karlos Dansby so far in pass coverage at all.  Same goes for Vinney Rey and Rey M. 
Reply/Quote