Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn Williams suspended
(12-09-2020, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s quite a homer take. You’re saying their reactions weren’t caused by Mike Thomas?

Mike Thomas did nothing wrong on the first one, clean hit, plus he was out there due to an injury, according to Simmons. There's an element of lack of reps there to consider. Simmons is on the rules committee for STs. The 2nd hit was early and Mike was just trying to make a play. Williams was actually injured during the melee from a blindside crack back block that wasn't flagged, and that was a trainer you see get buried during the bench clearing that was tending to Shawn. When he got up, the entire team was in his face. It's not a homer take....as you know, the officiating was BS. I'd say the Bengals were mad when Tyler Boyd got hit out of bounds and nothing was called....then got a PF and ejected for it.

EDIT: Grant is one of the best return men in the league, and Simmons had drilled home and made it a point to neutralize him all week. He also rarely fair catches....so that is to be considered too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 11:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s quite a homer take. You’re saying their reactions weren’t caused by Mike Thomas?

Peep this article about it all...

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-notebook-coaches-defend-mike-thomas-special-teams-answer-again-searching

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 01:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Mike Thomas did nothing wrong on the first one, clean hit, plus he was out there due to an injury, according to Simmons. There's an element of lack of reps there to consider. Simmons is on the rules committee for STs. The 2nd hit was early and Mike was just trying to make a play. Williams was actually injured during the melee from a blindside crack back block that wasn't flagged, and that was a trainer you see get buried during the bench clearing that was tending to Shawn. When he got up, the entire team was in his face. It's not a homer take....as you know, the officiating was BS. I'd say the Bengals were mad when Tyler Boyd got hit out of bounds and nothing was called....then got a PF and ejected for it.

EDIT: Grant is one of the best return men in the league, and Simmons had drilled home and made it a point to neutralize him all week. He also rarely fair catches....so that is to be considered too.

Exactly. They flagged Thomas on the first one for lowering his head, but the slo mo showed he clearly nailed Grant with his shoulder, not the helmet. The 2nd tackle was clean as well from a technique standpoint, he was just a tad early. Neither hit should have resulted in the Dolphins being upset. Grant never calls a fair catch, and is extremely dangerous. I don't fault Thomas for making the effort on either play.

As for being a homer, I am guilty I suppose, but I also don't just jump all over our team for any little thing and act like everything is always the Bengals' fault either.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2020, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly. They flagged Thomas on the first one for lowering his head, but the slo mo showed he clearly nailed Grant with his shoulder, not the helmet. The 2nd tackle was clean as well from a technique standpoint, he was just a tad early. Neither hit should have resulted in the Dolphins being upset. Grant never calls a fair catch, and is extremely dangerous. I don't fault Thomas for making the effort on either play.

As for being a homer, I am guilty I suppose, but I also don't just jump all over our team for any little thing and act like everything is always the Bengals' fault either.

Yep, I thought it could have gone either way initially on the first hit. After replay though, it was a perfect form tackle. Head to the side of the ribs, shoulder pads to the gut, hit lift and drive baby.

On the second one, he actually turns his whole body to the side to avoid any contact with the helmet. Had he timed it perfectly, it would have been a HUGE play.

Reply/Quote