Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shawn, be quiet
(09-11-2018, 01:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: It was a penalty, although I'm not sure it warranted an ejection.

That's exactly it.

I'm perfectly happy with it being a penalty, as his helmet did hit Luck's; clear-cut.

But an ejection is ridiculous, especially since you can't prove intent there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's exactly it.

I'm perfectly happy with it being a penalty, as his helmet did hit Luck's; clear-cut.

Yes and that's the other part that won't be fair. Mr superstar safety on the Patriots or insert NFL darling team, won't be ejected anywhere near as fast as joe schmoe on the others !
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: It was a penalty, although I'm not sure it warranted an ejection.

That's what I thought.
Reply/Quote
It was a stupid penalty and probably a stupid ejection. I think that unless it is something very egregious like a stomping/spitting/twisting a player deserves a warning.

Kind of like the yellow/red card in soccer. He deserved a yellow, he didn't deserve a red.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: This weird Shawn Williams which hunt thing is interesting. He has had 5 unnecessary roughness penalties in his career before the ejection. 

CBS had a graphic that said Shawn Williams led the league in personal fouls with 16 last season. That probably has something to do with it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: CBS had a graphic that said Shawn Williams led the league in personal fouls with 16 last season. That probably has something to do with it.

That is false. The team may have had 16, but Shawn Williams did not. Williams had 1 face mask and 1 unnecessary roughness penalty.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 12:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It was intentional. He lead with his head the whole way. He didn't even lift his arms to tackle, just speared him.

Yeah he led with his shoulder and helmet to the side a bit, lunging forward with arms down and a bit tucked in.

But doesnt matter if he intentionally meant to go after Lucks head or not, because it still was a reckless hit when it didn't have to be. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:12 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: When I look at these situations I always reverse it - what if the exact same play happened to Dalton? We would all be screaming for an ejection.

He should know better, it was poor discipline to make that type of play knowing the refs would call it and it is even dumber to now come out and say there is nothing different he could have done. I question his intelligence.

Agree, but unfortunately like I've said in previous posts - when the Bengals are being carted off (and having their jaws wired shut, necks set in traction, etc, etc....) it's just called good aggressive football.  I've gotten so used to it that I expect it and am ok with the fact that most of the nation hates Ohio and the tri-state for whatever reason.  And the reason it's ok is because now I effin' hate them too!  To this day if the steeler team bus goes off the bridge into the ohio river on the way to the airport, I'll throw a firework celebration and invite Hines Ward.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 02:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: CBS had a graphic that said Shawn Williams led the league in personal fouls with 16 last season. That probably has something to do with it.

Yeah that is way way off. Dont know where they got that stat from, even said it on air too if I remember right.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/cincinnati-bengals?year=2017&view=players
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I’m in the minority’ but it was a stupid hit unnecessary n I agreed with the ejection. If the hit was on Dalton we all would have wanted the guy ejected as well. If that was Burfict he would be banned for life
Reply/Quote
I was watching the MN game and watched Jared Cook catch a pass and lower his head right into the DB's facemask and it wasn't called. I thought the new rule was, it didn't matter if it is offense or defense or what position you play, it's going to be called. Obviously I could care less about that play, but it seems hypocritical that in week 1 only the defense was called?
Reply/Quote
Hello
Reply/Quote
QB slide feet first when you go head first you are no longer a QB you are a RB.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's exactly it.

Yep.....these new rules are all so subjective it seems....and we know what the means for the not so big merch sellers. Rolleyes

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 03:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: QB slide feet first when you go head first you are no longer a QB you are a RB.

Actually diving head first now is considered giving yourself up this year and to be treated the same was as sliding. 
Reply/Quote
I disagree with most on here, he was rightfully ejected.

I don't care what Williams intentions were, he should know better by now.

They don't let you do that in this league anymore... dumb play.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 11:59 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I watched this a few times now, and I don't see how it was just incidental. He even stuttered step right before he lunged shoulder first into Luck who was going down.

You do realize at the point Luck leaves the pocket he was no longer a QB, rather just another runner.  Granted he could've pulled up, but go around and watch every game in the NFL last week and tell me you don't see similar hits in every game.

As a matter a fact, I saw a Jets D-Lineman plant Matthew Stafford into the turf and nothing, zilch.  Ref standing right over the top.  I'm okay with the rules as long as they're applied consistently....which they are not.
Reply/Quote
I’ve never liked the move that he did and lots of players across pros and college do it. If you have to dive towards the ground to hit a runner, then they are already down or going down, players need to stop thinking they are going to jar the ball loose or inflict pain in those situations.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 04:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’ve never liked the move that he did and lots of players across pros and college do it. If you have to dive towards the ground to hit a runner, then they are already down or going down, players need to stop thinking they are going to jar the ball loose or inflict pain in those situations.

That's part of the problem with the NFL's crazy QB rules.

You can't hit high, you can't hit low, you can't wrap up in the middle, you can't use your helmet; if you somehow hit the guy in the 8-inch target zone (which I guess is supposed to be what would look like a chest bump), you have to immediately repel yourself or it's now a flag. On the other hand, a quarterback can go low and (at worse) get a few extra steps or (at best) draw a flag. 

In this instance, I thought Luck was already down when Williams was dropping, but I don't blame guys for dropping on hits where a guy is just going down, or appears to be going down.
Reply/Quote
A Marvin Lewis team lacking discipline? Shocking...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote