Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fact of Fiction: Do the Bengals Invest in Guards
Free Agency can't come soon enough.
I really want to see if the Bengals actually put their money where their mouth is and upgrade the OL in FA like has been speculated.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Free Agency can't come soon enough.
I really want to see if the Bengals actually put their money where their mouth is and upgrade the OL in FA like has been speculated.

I’m preparing to be disappointed tbh. What are the odds that we have 2 big free agencies in a row? I see more XSF type “help” on the way. Hope I’m wrong.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Free Agency can't come soon enough.

Paul Dehner said there is an 80% chance they sign two starting quality offensive linemen. I hope he is right because between the Offensive Line and Defensive Line the Bengals need alot of players starters and depth.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Paul Dehner said theirs an 80% chance they sign two starting quality offensive linemen. I hope he is right because between the Offensive Line and Defensive Line the Bengals need alot of players starters and depth.

"Starting Quality" is a subjective term.
To me, the guys they need to target are the ones who have been consistent starters regularly getting PFF scores of 70+.
Can't get guys like Bobby Hart and XSF and just "hope" a change of scenery is all they need.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but the guards we have suck so I don't see it as an advantage that the team re-signs them. Re-signing or even retaining failed prospects makes no sense to me at all.

The fact that the team keeps re-signing scrub Alex Redmond is an indicator of what level of play they're happy with. Sadly, as a fan, the front office's acceptable play level is substantially below what I'd expect from NFL players.

Reply/Quote
Under valuing the guard position is outdated. The quickest way to the QB is up the middle and there are a lot of great inside rushers in the league. The guards we currently have on the roster aren't going to cut it. XSF was a backup in Dallas, barely played this season, is older with no upside and is below average on a good day. Michael Jordan was awful this season usually players get better in year two I doubt he will take a big leap in year 3. Spain is average at best and Price can't play guard. Thuney and Scheff are some of the best at there position and young I don't see anything wrong with paying them big money. Burrow is on a rookie contract we have cap space and need to take advantage.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is still approaching the Bengals organization like his father did 70 years ago. Which means he will go with in undrafted/low round guys at guard who he won’t pay for after their rookie contract expires. Nothing changes.

That’s why I believe grabbing a high end tackle (Trent Williams) plus a Day 1 or Day 2 plug-in-play tackle starter in the draft is the way to go. Putting Jonah at LG, and finding some level of competence amongst the returners of the remaining two spots.

FYI to correct something above, Rich Braham was a 3rd round pick from the Cards (they released him right away saying he was scheme deficient). My second team I follow is as bad as the first.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 05:47 AM)kevin Wrote: Jon Feliciano at 7 million a year when Mike Brown says, " WHY SHOULD I PAY A GUARD ".  Mike Brown didn't pay Montoya or Steinbach or Zeitler and he sure isn't paying Feliciano. " WHY SHOULD I PAY A GUARD ". 

I'm not that happy about players you have at Center here, they both stink.  Price has had his chances, and he stinks every time he comes in game. 

I'm hoping we draft Sewell and at least have Williams and Sewell at Tackles.  Since Mike Brown doesn't pay inside the Tackles.  If we are lucky enough to still have Sewell on the board at 5, it needs to be the choice, this isn't rocket science.  Williams and Sewell is a good young start on fixing this awful, awful O Line.

What about Jose Feliciano? What is he worth?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown will pay Guards. He made Boling the 8th highest paid OG in the league when he signed his last contract. He also paid Bobbie Williams well to keep him here as a starter.

The thing people forget about Zeitler and Steinbach is that they did not just get paid well. I believe they were both paid close to the highest in the league at their position. So while Mike Brown may pay OGs, he may not make them the highest paid at their position in the league.

In the case of Steinbach all 5 of out starting O-linemen were due to become free agents at the same time. We re-signed 4 of the 5 to extensions and let Steinbach walk because the Browns paid too much for him nd we had Whitworth ready to take his place.

I can also understand why they did not want to pay Zeitler more than any other guard in the league, but that is no excuse for not spending more money for a guy to replace him.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Brown will pay Guards.  He made Boling the 8th highest paid OG in the league when he signed his last contract.  He also paid Bobbie Williams well to keep him here as a starter.

The thing people forget about Zeitler and Steinbach is that they did not just get paid well.  I believe they were both paid close to the highest in the league at their position.  So while Mike Brown may pay OGs, he may not make them the highest paid at their position in the league.

In the case of Steinbach all 5 of out starting O-linemen were due to become free agents at the same time.  We re-signed 4 of the 5 to extensions and let Steinbach walk because the Browns paid too much for him nd we had Whitworth ready to take his place.

I can also understand why they did not want to pay Zeitler more than any other guard in the league, but that is no excuse for not spending more money for a guy to replace him.

The main issue with Zeitler was that they should've extended him the year prior and saved money before DeCastro inked his big deal. They gambled and lost. Agree about Steiny.

Also, to the OP, please no more OSU linemen. Please.  Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: The main issue with Zeitler was that they should've extended him the year prior and saved money before DeCastro inked his big deal. They gambled and lost. Agree about Steiny.

They could not have signed him much cheaper the prior year.
Reply/Quote