Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Bengals have drafted Steven Jackson?
(03-05-2019, 05:19 PM)McC Wrote: He did have one 1000 yard season for us though, didn't he?

If I remember correctly, in his contract year.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:17 PM)McC Wrote: Is the Quantam Leap week or what?  What was that other one--Jerome Simpson/Desean Jackson?

I'm looking for the cutting edge "Maybe the Bengals should have kept that Bill Walsh guy around" hot take/thread myself... 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:19 PM)McC Wrote: He did have one 1000 yard season for us though, didn't he?

Indeed, was a good year.

Fred's right and wrong; he wasn't BAD for us on the whole, but that bad season was a historically bad year for any running back, in any era.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals get Chris Perry and Stacy "Franchise Tag" Andrews.  Perry was key part of our '05 offense, but his career was ruined by injury. He had no real history of injury in college and won the Doak Walker award.

Everyone wants to trade down for more picks in the draft, but the Bengals were burned twice in the Marvin era by doing so.  They got Perry and Andrews instead of Jackson and got Zeitler and Thompson instead of DeCastro.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:17 PM)McC Wrote: Is the Quantam Leap week or what?  What was that other one--Jerome Simpson/Desean Jackson?

Thank you. Seriously, what are we Steelers fans now? Let the past be.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 12:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Everyone wants to trade down for more picks in the draft, but the Bengals were burned twice in the Marvin era by doing so.  They got Perry and Andrews instead of Jackson and got Zeitler and Thompson instead of DeCastro.

The Bengals wanted Zeitler over DeCastro, they thought they made a successful move. As for Perry/Jackson, they were burned. Jackson was their target and the Rams duped them.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 11:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed, was a good year.

Fred's right and wrong; he wasn't BAD for us on the whole, but that bad season was a historically bad year for any running back, in any era.

.....and Harold played on some really bad teams.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They used Kelly like a 6th lineman basically.

I'd take Reggie Kelly on our current roster in a second though. Really solid Pro. Could block very well.

And it wasn't even that he couldn't catch.  They just rarely ever asked him to do it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 11:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and Harold played on some really bad teams.

Our offensive lines on those 90's teams was terrible.

I wonder how it would compare to last years line?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 03:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive lines on those 90's teams was terrible.

I wonder how it would compare to last years line?

Be interesting to see.....some problem back then was an absolutely terrible passing game after the departure of Blake, and prior to him.  All you had to do was load the box, but they were piss poor in their own right.  I'd wager they'd be pretty similar.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious I was thinking the same. Honestly I would think this was an automatic duh comment. Thanks for the quantum leap comment because it literally made me lol
Reply/Quote
Worse choice?

Trading back and taking Chris Perry instead of SJax?

-or-

Trading back and taking Kevin Zeitler instead of David DeCastro?

I guess it's gotta be passing up on SJax because at least Zeitler was pretty good. That said, it's funny how similar these trades were for us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 11:32 AM)McC Wrote: And it wasn't even that he couldn't catch.  They just rarely ever asked him to do it.

I believe that he had some pretty decent receiving years with the Falcons.

It was pretty typical for us to use our TE as a 6th lineman until we got Gresham and Eifert.

Man as a rookie Gresham looked good. Then he regressed. His hands got worse.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They used Kelly like a 6th lineman basically.

I'd take Reggie Kelly on our current roster in a second though. Really solid Pro. Could block very well.

He's most likely too old to have anything left in the tank. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 08:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He's most likely too old to have anything left in the tank. 

Didn't his career end with an injury on Hard Knocks?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 08:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Didn't his career end with an injury on Hard Knocks?

I think so, and it led to the emergence of Dennis Roland, blocking TE..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 08:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Didn't his career end with an injury on Hard Knocks?

He played one more year with us and finished up where he started (Atlanta) in 2011.

He's 42 years old now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 03:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Be interesting to see.....some problem back then was an absolutely terrible passing game after the departure of Blake, and prior to him.  All you had to do was load the box, but they were piss poor in their own right.  I'd wager they'd be pretty similar.

I was a kid back then so I don't remember a ton...but did Klingler get a fair shot? Would he have been a good QB had he landed in a different situation? Or did he just lack skill and talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was a kid back then so I don't remember a ton...but did Klingler get a fair shot? Would he have been a good QB had he landed in a different situation? Or did he just lack skill and talent.

It was just so hard to tell because he got so beat up.  When you're sacked 10 times in your first game, you have no chance.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 12:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was a kid back then so I don't remember a ton...but did Klingler get a fair shot? Would he have been a good QB had he landed in a different situation? Or did he just lack skill and talent.

Klingler could be thrown into the pool of unknown talents. His OL got him killed so many times that his mentality changed. David Carr is another example of someone like this. 

However, something I always come back to is that Mike Brown talked to Paul about Klingler shortly before Paul passed away. Paul told Mike to stay away from Klingler. There was something about him that Paul didn't like.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote