Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Bengals keep 2 or 3 QB's
I am interested to see how Driskel does today, but I think he is showing he is a capable backup. I like AJ more than many, but if we could find a trade partner in the next week, I would do it. I know trades don't happen often, but the Jets really need a QB. Their future Hackenberg was horrible last night again and Petty got hurt leaving a 35 year old QB as their starter in 2017.

I like our defense, I would like it a lot more if we added Sheldon Richardson to team up with Geno and our DL. I think it would make our DL one of the best in the NFL. I would be open to an OL also, just not sure who would make me happy in a trade. The Jets have no shot at Jimmy G. from the Pats as in the same division so maybe Jets would think about something other than a high draft pick as their future is later so they would not want to give up draft picks in the future.

Thoughts or your suggestions?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The jets want to be bad to be able to draft a qb high next year. No one is going to trade for mccarron barring injury, and even then... I think the steam has cooled on him. We missed it last year with bridge water/bradford
Reply/Quote
I think that IF we could get a 1st Round pick for McCarron or a pick and a player that would upgrade a spot on the offensive line...I'd be open to trading McCarron.

That said...I doubt the Jets are interested in upgrading at QB. Their #1 WR would be a #4 or #5 on a lot of teams. That is a team destined to go 3-13 or 4-12 no matter who their QB is.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that IF we could get a 1st Round pick for McCarron or a pick and a player that would upgrade a spot on the offensive line...I'd be open to trading McCarron.

That said...I doubt the Jets are interested in upgrading at QB. Their #1 WR would be a #4 or #5 on a lot of teams. That is a team destined to go 3-13 or 4-12 no matter who their QB is.

I agree, it would not help the Jets in 2017, but it may give them a shot at seeing if a $800K starter is worth more in the future especially since AJ will be less than 1 million again next year unless he wins an appeal. AJ would help some fans ease the pain of the Jets doing nothing to win. Honestly, the Bengals would be dumb to do a straight trade for Richardson for AJ.

I may be the minority, but I would love the Bengals to trade for Richardson, his value is not that high and young guys like Hardison or Williams could be shelved, they are not close to the talent of Richardson nor is Billings (could be a great backup in 2017).

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't know about trading but it looks like they are going to keep 7 Wide Receivers which is going to force them to go light at another position. If they kept 7 WRs and 3 QBs that would likely mean one of the RBs, Offensive or Defensive Line groups are going to be lighter...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am interested to see how Driskel does today, but I think he is showing he is a capable backup. I like AJ more than many, but if we could find a trade partner in the next week, I would do it. I know trades don't happen often, but the Jets really need a QB. Their future Hackenberg was horrible last night again and Petty got hurt leaving a 35 year old QB as their starter in 2017.

Thoughts or your suggestions?

Driskel looked good against TB. Not so good against KC. He will be interesting to see today. Not sure he's ready to be #2 and I bet Marvin feels the same.

Reply/Quote
I really doubt we keep 3 QB's, like others have said it forces cutting another good player a WR, DE or whatever.

Keeping only 2 is a calculated risk for sure but one worth taking IMHO. I'd much rather see Erickson, Core, Smith or somebody like that make the team and contribute rather than have a 3rd QB that 97.645% of the time rides the pine all season.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:05 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Driskel looked good against TB. Not so good against KC. He will be interesting to see today. Not sure he's ready to be #2 and I bet Marvin feels the same.

Fair enough, he did not look great against the Bucs so you may be right. My concern is roster spots being used by a 3rd QB when we have guys we could bring in or keep to make us better for 2017. I would love to see Driskel tonight with our 1st team offense of OL and skill players, then I could get a better feel for him.

Reply/Quote
I think that ship has already sailed for the season, at least for me. I wanted a pre/draft day trade and I think it might have happened if the Browns would have had that 1st pick in the 2nd round.

At this point I would just hang onto him till the season is over. He's one of the few backups that can come in and still give this team hope if something was to happen to Andy. He's good insurance for this season and if he has to come in for a lengthy period this season and plays at a high level he will give us some nice options at the end of the season. Of course he can suck it up and cause his trade value to drop also, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough, he did not look great against the Bucs so you may be right. My concern is roster spots being used by a 3rd QB when we have guys we could bring in or keep to make us better for 2017. I would love to see Driskel tonight with our 1st team offense of OL and skill players, then I could get a better feel for him.

Catch 22. We have McCarron who will likely be gone after the season but need him in case our OL breaks down and Andy gets killed. How do we keep Driskel and free up a roster spot? If we put him on PS, then what? Oh well, better wait and see how he does today before I get all excited over a #3.

Reply/Quote
If we want to keep Driskell, we have to keep 3. We can't stash him on the PS. McCarron is going nowhere. With the Bengals seeking a 1st round pick in return, he's going nowhere. Brown's love of compensatory picks hurts as at times.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:31 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Catch 22. We have McCarron who will likely be gone after the season but need him in case our OL breaks down and Andy gets killed. How do we keep Driskel and free up a roster spot? If we put him on PS, then what? Oh well, better wait and see how he does today before I get all excited over a #3.

I don't see the logic of the team sitting on McCarron.  If the OL is so crappy that Andy gets injured, then a backup ain't taking us to a championship behind that same OL.  They really need to deal for a starting LT, promote Driskel to backup, there will be plenty of 3rd string quality QBs sitting around in a few weeks, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
A lot depends on if McCarron is granted the extra year of eligibility or not. If he doesn't become eligible for FA next year, you absolutely keep him or trade him for a second round pick or higher. They believe in him enough as an insurance policy to decline a 2nd rounder this year (allegedly), then I don't think they let him go for less now.

If he is eligible for FA next year, I still think you keep him as a solid backup that could win you some games if Dalton had to miss a few. We don't know if Driskel can do that, but we liked what we have seen enough to pluck him for SF PS a year ago and occupy a spot on the roster all year. They exposed former 3rd rounder PJ Dawson rather than expose Driskel....I think that tells us he won't be going anywhere and will be the back up of the future.

The bottom line: I don't see how we don't keep three.
Reply/Quote
Keep all three. Have you seen the offensive line?
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 12:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Keep all three.  Have you seen the offensive line?

Only 3? I was thinking they better grab another 4 or 5 and have that many more on speed dial. Probably going to need a new QB every week.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 12:57 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Only 3? I was thinking they better grab another 4 or 5 and have that many more on speed dial. Probably going to need a new QB every week.

If that is the case, best move is to dump all salaried players and play for draft picks. If AD goes down, we are toast. But, I don't believe our OL is as bad as some of our fans like to suggest.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that IF we could get a 1st Round pick for McCarron or a pick and a player that would upgrade a spot on the offensive line...I'd be open to trading McCarron.

Not too many teams would even consider giving up their 1st round draft choice for McCarron. He has some value, but not THAT much.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really doubt we keep 3 QB's, like others have said it forces cutting another good player a WR, DE or whatever.

Keeping only 2 is a calculated risk for sure but one worth taking IMHO. I'd much rather see Erickson, Core, Smith or somebody like that make the team and contribute rather than have a 3rd QB that 97.645% of the time rides the pine all season.

Driskell will ride the pine, barring disaster or a special wildcat package, but a #7 WR or #9-10 DL is unlikely to dress or play much, as well.

I would keep Driskell for the long game.  In all likelihood, the Bengals will have to trade McCarron next year for any reasonable offer they get.  If they lose Driskell, they will just have to spend a high draft pick on a QB and won't really benefit that much.  Worse case, McCarron wins his case and walks.  At least with Driskell, you're somewhat covered.

The added benefit of having a guy like Driskell is that you can use him to simulate mobile QB's on the scout team.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
I changed my mind. 3
Reply/Quote