Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should Citizens be required to provide valid ID to vote in federal elections?
(06-27-2024, 07:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: you're Tongue Wink   sorry...

Seriously. The worst language I've ever studied, and the only one. HAHA!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 08:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seriously. The worst language I've ever studied, and the only one. HAHA!

Ha, well, arguably German is even worse. We declinate, conjugate and our stuff has genders.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 07:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is true. I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate and it took me less than 10 minutes and cost me $10. Now, let's say you were born in Illinois and now live in WV. It's a lot tougher to retrieve since you really can't make the drive (out of convenience of course). Then you must rely on the red tape government process. 

A certified copy of your birth certificate in Ohio costs $21.50.  I was born in NY it is $30 there.  Michigan is $34

That is a lot of money if you don't have much.  Plus you have to provide things like parents names...for most of us that is easy but I know someone whose mother doesn't remember what name she put on the certificate for the father. I do a lot of genealogy, you would be surprised at how many people have trouble obtaining their birth certificates

This is why I asked what documentation is needed it isn't as straight forward as you think

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 07:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The Dems have been pushing for anyone inside the borders to have the right to vote. They've also pushed for no voter ID requirements and only a sworn statement stating they are eligible to vote. Some states do not require a voter ID. This has been the biggest debate against mail-in voting (not to mention the fraud that occurs when people die, people move and others get their ballot in the mail). That's a problem. I feel the argument they present of, "not everyone can get a photo ID" is BS. If you don't have a photo ID, in most cases you can't get a job and don't have the skills or resources to even contribute to this country. So, should you vote? I know that sounds harsh, But most parents get a SS card for their children at a young age. At the same time, each person born within our borders receives a Birth Certificate. 

nope not true

what is true that some LOCAL entities want to allow GREEN CARD HOLDERS to vote on LEVY questions only but it is not the policy of the Democratic Party

https://today.umd.edu/umd-analysis-millions-of-americans-dont-have-id-required-to-vote

[color=var(--grayDark)]Key findings include:[/color]
  • [color=var(--grayDark)]Nearly 29 million voting-age U.S. citizens lacked a valid driver’s license and over 7 million had no other form of non-expired government-issued photo identification.[/color]
  • [color=var(--grayDark)]In states with strict photo identification laws in 2020, over 3 million voting-age U.S. citizens did not have a current driver’s license, and over 1 million did not have a non-expired government-issued photo identification.[/color]
  • [color=var(--grayDark)]More than 11 million people ages 18-29 did not have a current driver’s license, and more than 3 million did not have any unexpired government issued photo ID.[/color]

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 09:52 PM)pally Wrote: A certified copy of your birth certificate in Ohio costs $21.50.  I was born in NY it is $30 there.  Michigan is $34

That is a lot of money if you don't have much.  Plus you have to provide things like parents names...for most of us that is easy but I know someone whose mother doesn't remember what name she put on the certificate for the father. I do a lot of genealogy, you would be surprised at how many people have trouble obtaining their birth certificates

This is why I asked what documentation is needed it isn't as straight forward as you think

In other words, about the same cost as a couple of teenagers getting a fast food meal? Yep, that's making it really expensive to verify who you are.Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Of course they make you provide ID for beer you need an ID to vote
Reply/Quote
Absolutely should have to have a valid ID in order to vote.
Reply/Quote
Valid ID should be required to vote.

It is required for any number of other things and people are okay with it.

Why are they upset now?

Kidding, we all know why....

Ninja
Reply/Quote
Yes it should be required, but also IDs should be free for all US Citizens.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2024, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes it should be required, but also IDs should be free for all US Citizens.

Should be, but... I bought a bike this Spring, they charged me $26 for my MC permit. Made me purchase a new ID card, rather than just handing me a slip of paper to go along with my regular DL. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 05:52 PM)pally Wrote: BINGO...you just hit the nail on the head.  I'm willing to bet more American citizens have voted illegally than non-American citizens

1) what is an acceptable form of ID?
2) how much would it cost?
3) where would it be obtained?
4) how long would it take to implement?

Believe it or not most Democrats are not anti-ID, however, the devil has always been in the details and as written many of these proposed laws make it difficult for the poor and disabled to obtain these ids.  So just don't talk about the idea...tell us how you see it being implemented

Pally, it is 2024. We live in a world of free-flowing information. If a person wants to vote, they are not as stupid as you make them. Every McDonald's has free Wi-Fi as do many other places so easy to do the research.

The details you list are called excuses as you think minorities who are legal citizens do not have the brain power to sign up to vote. 

I found this searching the internet in 20 seconds. I simply asked, how do I register to vote in a federal election?

How to register to vote | USAGov

How to register to vote

Learn how to register so you can vote in federal, state, and local elections.

Register through vote.gov
Visit vote.gov to begin the voter registration process. Select your state or territory. Depending on its rules, you will find instructions on how to register:

By mail
In person at your local election office
Start your registration on vote.gov

Other ways to register to vote
Download the National Mail Voter Registration Form. You can fill it out onscreen and print the completed form, or print the blank form and fill it out by hand. Remember to sign the form before mailing it to the location listed for your state.
Check with local government offices to see if you can register in person.
Find your department of motor vehicles office.
Locate a nearby armed forces recruitment center.
Contact state and county public assistance offices such as SNAP/food stamps.
Abroad and military voters
The Federal Voting Assistance Program lets you register to vote and request an absentee ballot if you are a:

U.S. citizen living outside the U.S.
Service member stationed abroad
Spouse or eligible family member of a service member stationed abroad
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2024, 06:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Pally, it is 2024. We live in a world of free-flowing information. If a person wants to vote, they are not as stupid as you make them. Every McDonald's has free Wi-Fi as do many other places so easy to do the research.

The details you list are called excuses as you think minorities who are legal citizens do not have the brain power to sign up to vote. 

I found this searching the internet in 20 seconds. I simply asked, how do I register to vote in a federal election?

How to register to vote | USAGov

How to register to vote

Learn how to register so you can vote in federal, state, and local elections.

Register through vote.gov
Visit vote.gov to begin the voter registration process. Select your state or territory. Depending on its rules, you will find instructions on how to register:

By mail
In person at your local election office
Start your registration on vote.gov

Other ways to register to vote
Download the National Mail Voter Registration Form. You can fill it out onscreen and print the completed form, or print the blank form and fill it out by hand. Remember to sign the form before mailing it to the location listed for your state.
Check with local government offices to see if you can register in person.
Find your department of motor vehicles office.
Locate a nearby armed forces recruitment center.
Contact state and county public assistance offices such as SNAP/food stamps.
Abroad and military voters
The Federal Voting Assistance Program lets you register to vote and request an absentee ballot if you are a:

U.S. citizen living outside the U.S.
Service member stationed abroad
Spouse or eligible family member of a service member stationed abroad

Luvnit, I never said a word about minorities nor did I ever reference the ability to register or to place a vote

Now you assume that all Americans already possess valid photo ids, unfortunately millions do not. The millions who do not are often elderly, poor, disabled.

The question I posed how do you implement an ID law that allows these people to easily obtain an ID and whatever documentation they need for it?

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 03:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is a no brainer to me, but it appears in some states non-US citizens have not only voted in past federal elections, but they were also not required to provide an ID in these states. This is a no brainer to me. We need a passport or a driver's license proving we are a US citizen to fly on a commercial airplane. We need ID to exit and enter the country.

"The 22-page report argues there is "irrefutable evidence" that noncitizens have voted illegally in U.S. elections, placing blame with the 1993 National Voter Registration Act (NVRA)."

Even if passed, however, it is highly unlikely to be taken up by the Democrat-controlled Senate.

This should be passed by everyone in Congress voting yes. But Democrats who want illegals to vote in our federal election ill attempt to stop it is my opinion. I hope I am wrong.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-leaders-aim-vote-trump-backed-elections-bill-next-month

House leaders aim for vote on Trump-backed elections bill next month
House Speaker Mike Johnson is making the case for the SAVE Act in a 22-page memo to House Republicans

FIRST ON FOX: House GOP leaders plan to take up a bill enhancing protections against noncitizens voting sometime in July, Fox News Digital has learned.

House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., is circulating a memo within his House GOP conference, obtained by Fox News Digital, arguing the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act is necessary. After this Friday, Congress is on a weeklong recess for Independence Day, returning July 8.

Johnson unveiled the bill, originally pushed by Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, alongside former President Trump in a high-profile press conference at Mar-a-Lago earlier this year.

"The NVRA does not require states to ask for proof of citizenship when registering an individual to vote in federal elections. Rather, the NVRA relies on individuals to merely attest they are a citizen and eligible to vote. In 44 states, if an individual completes and signs the universal NVRA form (Form), then the state is required by federal law to register that person to vote," the memo reads.

Johnson's document also argues that the Biden administration's border policies have exacerbated the issue by making it possible for more people to illegally enter the U.S.

"The Biden Administration’s efforts to dismantle border security, and related policies, have enabled millions of aliens to enter the country, violate our immigration laws, and exploit a system to obtain [a Social Security number]," it reads.

It also points to reports that states like Massachussetts, Virginia and Ohio recently purged noncitizens from their voter rolls.

According to the memo, Virginia removed nearly 1,500 people from its voter rolls since May 2023 due to "non-citizen status." Citing an Electoral Process Education Corp. report, the memo said 335 of those people have cast ballots in Virginia elections in the last four years.

"Earlier this year, in Massachusetts, Boston Election Department officials disclosed to the Public Interest Legal Foundation that the city had removed 70 non-citizens from the city’s election rolls," the document says.

Additionally, Ohio's Republican Secretary of State recently ordered over 130 people to be removed from the state's voter list, the memo says, adding, "Ohio law imposes a very high bar before a county board of elections can remove someone from the rolls due to noncitizenship."

Democratic critics of the SAVE Act have argued that it is unnecessary because it is already illegal for noncitizens to vote in federal elections.

The timing of the vote happening next month would be significant, coming less than six months before Trump's White House rematch with President Biden.

Uh yeah. lol. Unless you support less secure elections. Kind of basic elementary common sense unless the point is to make fraud easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2024, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes it should be required, but also IDs should be free for all US Citizens.

It is free, it is given to the parents at time of birth. Immigrants who go through the rigors to become a legal citizen pay a lot of money to get that proof of citizenship.

It is absurd to be opposed to a very small fee to recover a lost birth certificate in order to get the greatest privilege in our Democracy, a right to vote in federal elections.

It is 2024, not 1800, simple to get the documentation to be able to ensure your voice is heard in an election. I don't see very many adults without a cell phone, they are not cheap unless you are an illegal immigrant, then you get a free phone and also a free cell phone plan to use it.

I don't see Democrats whining about illegal immigrants get more free stuff than our homeless and voters.

US citizens have a right to vote, they don't have a right to lose an ID and not pay to replace it. Like others have said, you need an ID to buy alcohol, I would argue the investment for a proper ID to be able to vote in a federal election is far greater importance than needing and ID to purchase alcohol.

In 2020, more people voted than in any time in history. Is it because there was fraud mixed in with legit citizens? Or was it because the vast majority obtained a valid ID to vote?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2024, 11:19 PM)pally Wrote: Luvnit, I never said a word about minorities nor did I ever reference the ability to register or to place a vote

Now you assume that all Americans already possess valid photo ids, unfortunately millions do not.  The millions who do not are often elderly, poor, disabled.

The question I posed how do you implement an ID law that allows these people to easily obtain an ID and whatever documentation they need for it?

I provided the link. Again, we are in 2024 and if a US citizen is motivated to have their voice heard, they can readily register to vote easily.

Please show me any article that says millions of people are not registered to vote because it is too hard to get the proper documentation. You make up crap.

Why is it unreasonable to have to provide proof of who you are to vote? The bigger question is would this reduce fraud and in store integrity into our elections. Fraud happens in anything when there are loopholes. Not showing valid ID to vote by mail or to vote in person increases the chance of fraud.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2024, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is free, it is given to the parents at time of birth.

Clown take with a ton of wasted text after it. Good luck using a birth certificate trying to vote in every state in the country. It doesn't have a photo of you and 13 states require photo ID, including Ohio. Multiple other states that don't "require" photo ID it but "request" it give you a PROVISIONAL ballot instead. Even without the massive hurdle of the lack of photo, a birth certificate doesn't have an address or any proof of residence in the state you are trying to vote in.

Glad you were able to get a random rant about alcohol and phones out of your system, though. Very productive.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2024, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see very many adults without a cell phone, they are not cheap unless you are an illegal immigrant, then you get a free phone and also a free cell phone plan to use it.

Say what now?  I have so many questions. How do they even find all these illegals to give them their free phone? Why would they give them a free phone? Do legal immigrants also get a free phone, or is it just for the illegal ones? Can they change their free phone plan to another free phone plan? This is all so exciting to learn.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2024, 09:10 PM)hollodero Wrote: Say what now?  I have so many questions. How do they even find all these illegals to give them their free phone? Why would they give them a free phone? Do legal immigrants also get a free phone, or is it just for the illegal ones? Can they change their free phone plan to another free phone plan? This is all so exciting to learn.

Sign the up for Mint mobile, it is terrible...
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2024, 01:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I provided the link. Again, we are in 2024 and if a US citizen is motivated to have their voice heard, they can readily register to vote easily.

Please show me any article that says millions of people are not registered to vote because it is too hard to get the proper documentation. You make up crap.

Why is it unreasonable to have to provide proof of who you are to vote? The bigger question is would this reduce fraud and in store integrity into our elections. Fraud happens in anything when there are loopholes. Not showing valid ID to vote by mail or to vote in person increases the chance of fraud.

You keep changing the subject. You want ID to vote

I asked you how you would implement this ID program. Why won’t you answer? What ID would qualify? How would it be obtained? How much would it cost? What proof of identity would be required to obtain this ID? How much time would be given to obtain this ID?

I neither agreed nor disagreed with the idea I sought more information which you won’t provide

I provided a link up thread talking about how many Americans don’t have a current ID. You obviously chose not to read it…as usual

Reply/Quote
Oh, and there are dozens of legitimate reasons why a person may not possess a certified copy of their birth certificates

Reply/Quote