Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Core Get The Start?
I think Cody Core feels he is a lock for the number 2 receiver behind Boyd for the start of the season with Green and Ross out. Personally, I like Erikson much better and feel he should get the start. Core has not shown me anything worthy of a promotion. Erikson at least has some experience handling kickoffs. We'll see who emerges in the preseason games. I just hope Zack Taylor has an open mind.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Not that he's earned it so far, but I hope Ross wins the spot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I just can’t get past that wide open drop by Core last year which would have got us a first down. He looked unfocused and couldn’t handle the pressure. He’s going to have to do a lot to erase that memory. I have zero faith in Core in any role with the Bengals.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really don’t care what any individual player thinks his role should be. Their play and the coaches decide when they appear in games. Right now from everything that has been reported he is at most #6 on the depth chart coming in behind both Erickson and Malone. If his play has actually improved enough yo be #4 then more power to him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 07:53 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I just can’t get past that wide open drop by Core last year which would have got us a first down. He looked unfocused and couldn’t handle the pressure. He’s going to have to do a lot to erase that memory. I have zero faith in Core in any role with the Bengals.

I forgot about that one. Core needs to do much better to earn the spot. Lets see who steps it up and actually wants the spot.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
May the best man win, but I have to admit it would be interesting seeing how people react to Core being on the field after concluding that playing Core was evidence Marvin was a dolt and had to be fired.
Reply/Quote
I really don't care who get's the "start", to be perfectly honest. However, in light of AJ and Ross both being out, I think it vital that every receiver with even half a chance of making the roster get some reps with Andy on the field. We have to find out who Andy will develop some chemistry with, and start getting some confidence built in those guys.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 01:15 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Cody Core feels he is a lock for the number 2 receiver behind Boyd
Are you just making this up or have you seen a quote fromhim about this?
It would be a sign of good confidence if he felt he was going to win the spot.  It would be silly if he thinks he already has it.
Reply/Quote
Ehh..Not a huge fan of Core as a receiver.. I'm gonna pay more attention to Willis for now or until he falls apart if he does.
Of course it could be all hype and nothing more, but we'll see. I have a good feeling about him and my feelings are world renowned for....Oh nevermind what they're world renowned for..You don't wanna know.  Whatever  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 01:15 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Cody Core feels he is a lock for the number 2 receiver behind Boyd for the start of the season with Green and Ross out. Personally, I like Erikson much better and feel he should get the start. Core has not shown me anything worthy of a promotion. Erikson at least has some experience handling kickoffs. We'll see who emerges in the preseason games. I just hope Zack Taylor has an open mind.

I believe Core is AJ's direct backup...

Ross should be ready to Go to start the season...  3 WR sets will probly be  (at this point and time)   Ross/Core  With Boyd in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 01:15 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Cody Core feels he is a lock for the number 2 receiver behind Boyd for the start of the season with Green and Ross out. Personally, I like Erikson much better and feel he should get the start. Core has not shown me anything worthy of a promotion. Erikson at least has some experience handling kickoffs. We'll see who emerges in the preseason games. I just hope Zack Taylor has an open mind.

I don't see the offense moving very well with both Erickson and Boyd in, as Boyd does better from the slot and Erickson is pretty much only a slot guy. I think you do need a guy like Core or Malone in AJ Green's spot and then could bring in Erickson as the third WR. I still wouldn't be shocked if one of Tate, Morgan, or Willis knocked Core or Malone down (or off) the depth chart either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 09:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really don't care who get's the "start", to be perfectly honest.  

Same here except I want the best players that give us the best chance to win starting.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't see the offense moving very well with both Erickson and Boyd in, as Boyd does better from the slot and Erickson is pretty much only a slot guy. I think you do need a guy like Core or Malone in AJ Green's spot and then could bring in Erickson as the third WR. I still wouldn't be shocked if one of Tate, Morgan, or Willis knocked Core or Malone down (or off) the depth chart either.

C'mon..Tate's not knocking anyone out.. If he does I'll eat a bologna sammich for lunch..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I have faith in Core after his big game against Baltimore to close the season his first year. But he's had his shot and didn't take advantage of it last season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Id rather go out and sign Crabtree then let Core start.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2019, 11:16 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Id rather go out and sign Crabtree then let Core start.

Core won't get the job.  Malone will.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Cody Core is a decent blocking receiver and a special teams dynamo.

In other words, he's practice squad fodder. There are better WRs at home playing the new iteration of Madden on their PS4s today.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
So can we just cut Core?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Im not so sure Core would make a good CFL WR much less a NFL WR.
he hasnt made a meaningful play since that 50 yd catch down the left sideline vs the Eagles his rookie year I think.
If Core earns that starting role while AJ is out that tells me that Malone or Tate
are worse then we thought.
he makes Ron Dugans look like Randy Moss.
hes just a bad draft pick.
I still cant think of a play hes made special teams or as a WR.
yeah hes missed tackles on coverage and dropped passes in his hands.
Reply/Quote

For preseason game 1, there is a very good chance of this.  Erickson isn't an outside WR, he is the slot guy (and I think he is very good there).  Core has supposedly been getting a lot of reps and has been the one running sweeps in Ross's absence.  I would think he will start at X, and Malone will start at AJ's spot for the first preseason game. 

The guys I am really excited to see play are Damien Willis and Stanley Morgan, Jr.  Apparently Willis has been lighting it up at camp and they really like Morgan, too...although I think Morgan is fighting an uphill battle as another slot WR and he would be behind Boyd and Erickson.  
Reply/Quote