Poll: Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Should Marvin Lewis be in the Ring of Honor some day?
(01-18-2022, 11:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe it's too soon for him and we'll look back more fondly of him in a decade or so.

As the playoff wins rack up? Unlikely.

If anything, I think more people are going to question why Marv was so mediocre with so many good players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Who y'all got for two votes next year?

My first thoughts are Willie Anderson (HOF level player) and Dave Lapham (Super Bowl lineman and essential broadcast legend). I voted Willie the first time so he's kind of a lock.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 01:52 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Who y'all got for two votes next year?

My first thoughts are Willie Anderson (HOF level player) and Dave Lapham (Super Bowl lineman and essential broadcast legend). I voted Willie the first time so he's kind of a lock.

Willie & Chad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think he'll eventually get in.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yes in the future...He was a coach here for 16 years thats a long damn time as an NFL coach in one spot. He is/was a huge part of bringing us out of the 90's.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I am honestly not sure how to answer. I agree that the ROH should go to someone that accomplished something. Gregg and Wyche were SB coaches. 10 years from now, Merv is only going to be an answer to a trivia question.

I'm torn on this one. 

I love Sam and Forrest was a helluva coach. They both took teams to the SB, but neither won and they only had 5 winning seasons between them. Marvin led 5 straight trips to the playoffs, which was a pretty damn impressive feat, but also failed miserably in the postseason 7 times. 

I think there's legitimate arguments both ways on this.
Reply/Quote
No unless it's the "Ring Of Everyone Gets A Trophy"
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:43 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: No. He has plenty to be proud of for his tenure, but no. There has to be a standard higher than that or else what’s the point of the ring in the first place? Are we honoring Bengals greats for exceptional achievement? Or are we commending long-timers for their service?

Agree just because he was a long time coach doesn't mean he belongs on the same level as Paul Brown, Boomer, Ken Anderson, Munoz, etc
Reply/Quote
Yes

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
The only thing great Marvin did was go to 5 straight playoff games. I just can't get past 0-7 in the post season. I'd have to say No.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
No for the same reasons that have already been statEd.
I am shocked that so many are voting yes. This would actually be an embarrassing addition to the ROH.
I am not big on putting coaches in before players and he would at least be the third choice for coaches.

Lewis did some wonderful things here but there’s no way he should ever even be a candidate for the Ring of Honor. If you voted yes then IMO you need to follow the lead of the current Bengals and raise your standards.
Reply/Quote
Nope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I would think a coach would have to make the Super Bowl to even be mentioned.
Reply/Quote
I'd like him to, but honestly a Ring of Honor is supposed to be pretty exclusive. I don't want something with 60 lil names around the stadium. It should be reserved for the best of the best. I think the initial ballot that someone posted was too long in my opinion. With those ground rules, I'd say none of our previous coaches get in.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I voted no. I don't think any Bengals coach has the merit to be in a ring of honor, excluding Brown because of his historical impact on the game. Marvin's winning % was .518. He basically won half of his games and lost half. You could argue he wasn't great, or even good, he was just average for a long time.

Edit: If Lewis, or any Bengals coach has a Super Bowl victory leading the organization to the title, then put them in the ring of honor.
Reply/Quote
It's a combination of things to me. Not only the playoff games but the primetime games as well. I think he won 9 out of 41 in those games together. I gave him a no for this reason. He won some big games, but there are so many on the other side of it. Not an easy choice, but that's where I land overall.
Reply/Quote
Winningest coach in Bengals history with the 3rd best win percentage as HC at .518. Yes, he should be in the Ring of Honor.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
My vote is no. He did much to be proud of, but his teams always seemed ill prepared for games when the lights shined the brightest. If you want to be reviled as one of the greats, you have to come through in the pressure situations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 09:54 AM)jason Wrote: I'd like him to, but honestly a Ring of Honor is supposed to be pretty exclusive. I don't want something with 60 lil names around the stadium. It should be reserved for the best of the best. I think the intimal ballot that someone posted was too long in my opinion. With those ground rules, I'd say none of our previous coaches get in.

I agree, I don’t think we’ve had a coach yet who should be in there (Paul Brown excluded). We shouldn’t add one just to add one, shouldn’t add one just because he was here a long time. It should be reserved for a coach who does truly great things here and likely wins at least one SB.
Reply/Quote
Yes, and not only should he be in the Ring of Honor, they should build a damn statue of the man out front for bringing the franchise out of the 1970's and into the 21st century.

Marvin's time ran it's course here as he was unable to take the franchise to the next level, but what he did to make the franchise relevant should never be forgotten.
Reply/Quote