Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones works out for Cleveland
They said on the NFL network that Adam Jones worked out for - and was visiting Cleveland.  So a couple questions come to mind for me.  1) Was he possibly able to glean anything out of the playbooks (new books - same coach)?  And does he actually improve their roster (don't spend much time studying the Cleveland clowns)?  Thoughts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he would be an improvement over the guys they have but I also think at this point in Adams career he isn’t very good for any locker room.
Reply/Quote
I hope they sign him and line him up opposite John Ross. Young and fast beats old and slow every time.
Reply/Quote
I don't really understand this for Cleveland. If the Browns improved anything and actually have good depth at any one position, its cornerback now. I'm not sure why they would even bring him in unless he is competing for a safety position now. Which in full transparency, I was and have always been a big fan of the idea of moving Pacman to FS and let him learn how to play centerfield and make plays. That would be a pretty natural transition for someone with his skill set.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:10 AM)dr1441 Wrote: I don't really understand this for Cleveland. If the Browns improved anything and actually have good depth at any one position, its cornerback now. I'm not sure why they would even bring him in unless he is competing for a safety position now. Which in full transparency, I was and have always been a big fan of the idea of moving Pacman to FS and let him learn how to play centerfield and make plays. That would be a pretty natural transition for someone with his skill set.

You can NEVER have enough quality starting CBs...  And adam does well against AFCN opponents WRs  when healthy at least.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:10 AM)dr1441 Wrote: I don't really understand this for Cleveland. If the Browns improved anything and actually have good depth at any one position, its cornerback now. I'm not sure why they would even bring him in unless he is competing for a safety position now. Which in full transparency, I was and have always been a big fan of the idea of moving Pacman to FS and let him learn how to play centerfield and make plays. That would be a pretty natural transition for someone with his skill set.

Hellova punt returner and they struggled with field position. Might be the sole reason he is there, and also insurance in case of injury.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: You can NEVER have enough quality starting CBs...  And adam does well against AFCN opponents WRs  when healthy at least.

Oh I definitely agree with you. You can never have enough. But can you play him over guys you paid some pretty big money to? 

TJ Carrie- 4 year/ $31 Mil
EJ Gaines- 1 year/ 4 Mil
Denzel Ward- 4 year/ $29 Mil

So in one offseason, they've brought in some guys making some big money in that group. I am sure they have plenty left with how they budgeted and had so much to begin with, but to me...........it just doesn't make sense if you aren't using him exclusively for punt returns and back end depth. 

This also doesn't include them trading for Damarius Randall either that will play some FS and CB in packages. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:36 AM)dr1441 Wrote: Oh I definitely agree with you. You can never have enough. But can you play him over guys you paid some pretty big money to? 

TJ Carrie- 4 year/ $31 Mil
EJ Gaines- 1 year/ 4 Mil
Denzel Ward- 4 year/ $29 Mil

So in one offseason, they've brought in some guys making some big money in that group. I am sure they have plenty left with how they budgeted and had so much to begin with, but to me...........it just doesn't make sense if you aren't using him exclusively for punt returns and back end depth. 

This also doesn't include them trading for Damarius Randall either that will play some FS and CB in packages. 

I cannot begin to get in the mind of the Cleveland FO...  Who paid a QB big bucks to not play for them when they went 0-16
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 10:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hellova punt returner and they struggled with field position. Might be the sole reason he is there, and also insurance in case of injury.

This was my first thought, this is where Adam brings value, as a Punt Returner. Dude is still dangerous.

This was really the only way i was for us bringing him back. But who knows how the new rules effect him.
Reply/Quote
Here we Go Adam Jones potential new Home...

San Diego

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/27/report-jason-verrett-suffers-serious-injury-in-conditioning-test/
Reply/Quote
As long as he’s not in a Bengals uniform.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I cannot begin to get in the mind of the Cleveland FO...  Who paid a QB big bucks to not play for them when they went 0-16

They picked up a 2nd round draft pick and had the extra cap room to carry Osweiler's contract.

It was a very NBA-like move. A team that is clearly tanking and has cap room takes on a salary dump and gets a pick in exchange. 

It was a very smart move by Cleveland, assuming their NBA style rebuild pans out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They picked up a 2nd round draft pick and had the extra cap room to carry Osweiler's contract.

It was a very NBA-like move. A team that is clearly tanking and has cap room takes on a salary dump and gets a pick in exchange. 

It was a very smart move by Cleveland, assuming their NBA style rebuild pans out.

Well based on draft history they should be trading away every draft pick an acquiring players from other squads lol...

but every team needs rookie contracts for budgeting..    

It seems like Cleveland has been smart.. but if Hue fails to get it going this year I think there will be a new HC next year who will want to do things his way/// and get his type of players   and it all starts over again.

No NFL Player should every want to be part of a purposely Tanking team....
Reply/Quote
Nonsense, Adam has never been criticized as bad for a locker room, in fact, the exact opposite is true. He has a fire to win, and holds himself and his team mates to that standard. The problems he has had occurred off the field.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well based on draft history they should be trading away every draft pick an acquiring players from other squads lol...

but every team needs rookie contracts for budgeting..    

It seems like Cleveland has been smart.. but if Hue fails to get it going this year I think there will be a new HC next year who will want to do things his way/// and get his type of players   and it all starts over again.

No NFL Player should every want to be part of a purposely Tanking team....

Maybe so.  Smirk

And I agree...this is probably the proving year for Hue. He hasn't been fired previously because they were tanking, but the moves they've made this year (trading for Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry, etc) are win-now moves. Or at least be-competitive-now moves. If they go 2-14, I'd pretty much guarantee he's out, and like you said...the process starts over yet again.

To be clear on the tanking, I don't think the Browns are telling players to throw games. I don't think they're even saying the "T" word. They were just making off-season moves that decreased the likelihood of winning. I.E. starting a ton of rookies, including a rookie 2nd round QB.

Just a side note, but I think it's funny how different tanking is viewed between leagues. In the NBA, players like Joel Embiid have embraced "The Process", but tanking is almost a four letter word in the NFL. I think it goes on more than we realize though. Remember "suck for Luck"?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 11:47 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This was my first thought, this is where Adam brings value, as a Punt Returner. Dude is still dangerous.

This was really the only way i was for us bringing him back. But who knows how the new rules effect him.

Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but what new punt return rules are there?  I know about the kickoff return rules, but nothing is sparking in what's left of my brain about punt returns.

Punt returns were why I wanted him back, also, and it bugged me that we wouldn't let him return punts after he had been in on a series on defense.  It's ONE play and NFL players have stamina!  He could have found enough energy to run one more play as a return man, and especially if he gets an opening at all because adrenalin would kick in!

I do wish he could still be here for that and also possible insurance if we ever have an injury to a DB or two.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 06:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but what new punt return rules are there?  I know about the kickoff return rules, but nothing is sparking in what's left of my brain about punt returns.

Punt returns were why I wanted him back, also, and it bugged me that we wouldn't let him return punts after he had been in on a series on defense.  It's ONE play and NFL players have stamina!  He could have found enough energy to run one more play as a return man, and especially if he gets an opening at all because adrenalin would kick in!

I do wish he could still be here for that and also possible insurance if we ever have an injury to a DB or two.

I think i was just thinking about if he was the Kick Returner too.

But damn man, they have been making so much changes to take the Return game out i guess i lose it.

Never liked it, players can get injured on any given play and any given step walking around their living room.

I just think they are ruining the game, always thought the Kick Return was one of the most exciting plays in football.

Then they take it out, just seems like more No Fun League pandering that Goodell has been doing.

But i agree i would be for bringing back Adam as a Punt Returner if he is available and none of our new guys step up.
Reply/Quote
Let's please keep threads about players not on the Bengals in Around the NFL. Jungle Noise is for Bengals news and discussion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote