Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should Wilkins be #1 FA target if not tagged?
If we can get 2 to 3 more years of elite production I want Chris Jones of the Chiefs he single handedly has won Chiefs a couple game this year. The D was terrible when he sat out opening 2 games. Tre and Chris Jones on Dline would cause many sleepless nights for offensive coordinators
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 07:54 PM)jason Wrote: There are exceptions, but how'd that 3rd contract work out for Geno Atkins?...

I agreed with giving Geno the contract.  He deserved it.  Unfortunately he injured his shoulder.  I think he could have played longer if he hadnt played on a bad shoulder trying to help the team.  He signed a waiver to play knowing his shoulder was injured.  Im not sure that had to do with age as much as it did making an injury worse.  Its similar to how I felt about Burrow the beginning of the season.  If you are not healthy dont be out there playing to possibly make your injury worse and having ramifications down the road.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Turner was also a rookie who has tremendous upside.
I never saw Turner give up 100 plus yards to 
A WR this year unlike Awuzie. Rewind to the 2nd Steelers game. What was Awuzie"s PFF grade this year?

Chido coming back from ACL, nice try tho.
Turner, we'll see, but I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Turner was also a rookie who has tremendous upside.
I never saw Turner give up 100 plus yards to 
A WR this year unlike Awuzie. Rewind to the 2nd Steelers game. What was Awuzie"s PFF grade this year?

(01-16-2024, 09:50 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Chido coming back from ACL, nice try tho.
Turner, we'll see, but I doubt it.

PFR...
Turner: 829 defensive snaps, 639 yards and 4 TDs allowed (111.6 QB Rating), 7.4% Missed Tackle
Awuzie 722 defensive snaps, 484 yards and 4 TDs allowed (113.5 QB Rating), 8.1% Missed Tackle

PFF...
Turner: 51.5 grade, 112th CB
Awuzie: 62.6 grade, 74th CB

- - - - - - -

I am fine with bringing back Awuzie as I think he should be pretty affordable on a 1-year prove-it deal and it is likely that he improves more now that he will be over a year removed from his ACL. It also prevents us from needing to draft a CB in this draft when we have so many other needs for our picks and I don't think adding even more young inexperienced DBs is the answer. There's never going to be a lack of defensive snaps for 3 outside CBs on a team in today's NFL, even if they all manage to stay healthy.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 06:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Or some use "29-Year" because it's literally the standard and you can instantly find it for every single player who is playing or has played in the NFL and you don't have to look at exactly what day and month their birthday is, figure out how many games into the season that would be, when week 1 is going to start that year, etc. Even if we were going to say Wilkins being 28 years and 9 months at the start of the regular season was his age 28 season, that's still not young and my entire point of needing to work in some youth (and inexpensive youth at that) and develop it to go with the older expensive guys still stands.

The problem with your way is Brandon Weeden's 1st year was his age 29 season, Margus Hunt's 1st year was his age 26 season, and Ja'Marr Chase's 1st year was his age 21 season. Chase's 5th year he's in his prime for his age 25 season, but Weeden's 5th year he's in his age 33 season and already pretty much done. Then you have other cases like Cameron Wake whose 1st year (in the NFL) was his age 27 season and Andrew Hawkins whose 1st year (in the NFL) was his age 25 season, but they both spent multiple years playing professional football in the CFL before that.

At what age does the NFL consider a player a vested veteran? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At what age does the NFL consider a player a vested veteran? 

Players are considered fully vested after they accrue 4 years of time on an active list.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 03:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Players are considered fully vested after they accrue 4 years of time on an active list.

So, Age is not "literally the standard". 

Who knew? 

Reply/Quote
Wilkins will be 29 next season; So I'm not sure the Bengals will sign him at his price tag! Plus what it would take to get him in a trade (if tagged].

Also; I assume the Bengals will trade for a DT with a significant resource this off season. My bet is; Derrick Brown NT from the Panthers for Tee Higgins!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Wilkins will be 29 next season; So I'm not sure the Bengals will sign him at his price tag!  Plus what it would take to get him in a trade (if tagged].

Also; I assume the Bengals will trade for a DT with a significant resource this off season.  My bet is; Derrick Brown NT from the Panthers for Tee Higgins!

More so than his age, he's not a NT, which the Bengals are currently in desperate need of a starter at that position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 06:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Wilkins will be 29 next season; So I'm not sure the Bengals will sign him at his price tag!  Plus what it would take to get him in a trade (if tagged].

Also; I assume the Bengals will trade for a DT with a significant resource this off season.  My bet is; Derrick Brown NT from the Panthers for Tee Higgins!

(01-17-2024, 07:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: More so than his age, he's not a NT, which the Bengals are currently in desperate need of a starter at that position.

I mentioned in another thread I'd just as soon have his teammate Raekwon Davis. Bigger, Younger, Cheaper

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 07:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I mentioned in another thread I'd just as soon have his teammate Raekwon Davis. Bigger, Younger, Cheaper

He's plenty big, but at 6'7" that has to somewhat be a disadvantage at NT, just from a sheer leverage perspective. I wonder if he's willing to play RT?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How about a duo FA targeting of TEs?

Give me a combination of Henry, Schultz, or Gesicki.

I'd also be okay singing Fant or Hooper.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 07:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: How about a duo FA targeting of TEs?

Give me a combination of Henry, Schultz, or Gesicki.

I'd also be okay singing Fant or Hooper.

Fant is my number one choice, he can take the seam pass to the house.   He is by far my favorite free agent TE and I would overpay for him.

Im not sure that many are aware of this guy's athleticism.  Let me put this in context:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 5.44.48 PM

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 5.44.14 PM

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At what age does the NFL consider a player a vested veteran? 

(01-17-2024, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So, Age is not "literally the standard". 

Who knew? 

I can't tell if you're trying to being serious and just misread my post wrong or if you're intentionally misreading my post and just trying to troll. 

Literally the standard, as in every single player has the exact same standard applied to them on what age season they are. So you don't have to deal with "basically xx age seasons". One standard for all >2000 players on what age season it is for them with no bias involved. So it's not using "age 29 season" as a way to make someone seem like they have more wear and tear, as you alleged. It's just using the exact same standard that has been placed on all players to report the number.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 08:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't tell if you're trying to being serious and just misread my post wrong or if you're intentionally misreading my post and just trying to troll. 

Literally the standard, as in every single player has the exact same standard applied to them on what age season they are. So you don't have to deal with "basically xx age seasons". One standard for all >2000 players on what age season it is for them with no bias involved. So it's not using "age 29 season" as a way to make someone seem like they have more wear and tear, as you alleged. It's just using the exact same standard that has been placed on all players to report the number.

And this is important because it makes all duration evaluations equal.  Some look at a player who turned pro at age 23 and and another who turned pro at 21 and think that one has "more tread" left on his tires because he's played two fewer years.  However, college play is just as accumulative on the body as pro seasons.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2024, 08:13 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Imo a young talented Dtackle that’s proven is what the bengals should do in FA and then draft the Right Tackle for the future at 18.  Let tee walk and take his replacement in round 2.  They almost automatic at WR in 2

Let Tee walk?

Tag him and trade him, and use the draft pick you get to draft his replacement.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 08:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't tell if you're trying to being serious and just misread my post wrong or if you're intentionally misreading my post and just trying to troll. 

If age is "The Standard" Then why isn't it used to:

Deterime Vested players

Decide FA status

The duration contracts are signed for

I've literally never heard anyone in media, message boards. ect... saying "He's entering his age 29 Year".

I have heard he's entering his 5th-6th season AND will be X-old during that year.

IMO it's not that big of a deal, but nothing "official" is based on age.

Hell you have to be x-years out of HS to get drafted, not a certain age. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And this is important because it makes all duration evaluations equal.  Some look at a player who turned pro at age 23 and and another who turned pro at 21 and think that one has "more tread" left on his tires because he's played two fewer years.  However, college play is just as accumulative on the body as pro seasons.

So you're stating Years playing has a bigger effect than how old you are?

We agree on that

If you're saying the toll on the body playing in college is equal to years playing in the pros

We disagree on that

Reply/Quote
You can’t go wrong with an Iowa TE.

They won’t double dip in FA. They still may not even be willing to devote much money to the position.

While Irv failed, challenging the plug and play and get paid thoughts on the position in this offense, Hudson breathed fresh life into the notion.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 09:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If age is "The Standard" Then why isn't it used to:

Deterime Vested players

Decide FA status

The duration contracts are signed for

Okay, so I am leaning more towards you are being serious and misreading/misinterpreting my post now.....

You are arguing that I am saying that age and age alone is the standard by which to judge players. I am not saying that.

I am saying that WHEN you are determining what age a player is at for a given season, the formula to do so is standardized at if the player will have a birthday in the same calandar year, that is his age for this season. That is the standard for determining a player's age for that NFL season. If a player has a birthday to turn 28 in May or November 2024, then 2024 is their age 28 season. If they turn 28 in February 2025 of the 2024 season, then the 2024 season is their age 27 season. That is literally the only standard I am talking about, how old someone will be for any given NFL season.

I'm not sure where you could have possibly gotten me saying that has anything to do with players becoming veterans or FA status. 

Reply/Quote