Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should he Bengals make Samaje Perine the RB2?
He showed some positive ability toward the end of a dismal season. PFF gave him an overall rating of 76.7, with an impressive 81.5 run grade. I honestly didn't pay much attention to his blitz pickups or standard pickups in pass sets, so any input would be appreciated. What did jump out at me was his rushing and receiving performance versus the Texans. Obviously, Perine didn't work out in Washington, due to injuries and other backs were able to take advantage of the opportunity to step up, and it didn't work out for him with the Dolphins.

There has been plenty of suggestion of moving on from Gio Bernard, for cap savings reasons. With that in mind, what about Perine?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He showed some positive ability toward the end of a dismal season.  PFF gave him an overall rating of 76.7, with an impressive 81.5 run grade.  I honestly didn't pay much attention to his blitz pickups or standard pickups in pass sets, so any input would be appreciated.  What did jump out at me was his rushing and receiving performance versus the Texans.  Obviously, Perine didn't work out in Washington, due to injuries and other backs were able to take advantage of the opportunity to step up, and it didn't work out for him with the Dolphins.

There has been plenty of suggestion of moving on from Gio Bernard, for cap savings reasons.  With that in mind, what about Perine?

Definitely a great question cause it could happen. Samaji played very well, he is a very good tough runner and when I did 
see him have to pick up the blitz he did well. I will have to go back and watch the last part of the season to know for sure
but I really like Perine as a back up to Mixon if we move on from Gio to save some cap.

Seems to be a good guy too. Team player. Also like the beard. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely a great question cause it could happen. Samaji played very well, he is a very good tough runner and when I did 
see him have to pick up the blitz he did well. I will have to go back and watch the last part of the season to know for sure
but I really like Perine as a back up to Mixon if we move on from Gio to save some cap.

I like him as the change of pace, because he's a bit of a big banger type, and seems to have decent hands as well.  He can soften up a defense a little, perhaps paving the way for Mixon to get some big plays later in games.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely a great question cause it could happen. Samaji played very well, he is a very good tough runner and when I did 

I believe he is a free agent, if so he will also be taking offers from other teams...
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like him as the change of pace, because he's a bit of a big banger type, and seems to have decent hands as well.  He can soften up a defense a little, perhaps paving the way for Mixon to get some big plays later in games.

I agree, that is the way I think we should use him. He likes to pound the rock, tough brother.

I like that he can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Great insurance in case we do move on from Gio.

(02-28-2021, 05:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe he is a free agent, if so he will also be taking offers from other teams...

Pay the man. Sucks to cut Gio but it might have to be. Gio will be picked up by another team for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, that is the way I think we should use him. He likes to pound the rock, tough brother.

I like that he can also catch the ball out of the backfield. Great insurance in case we do move on from Gio.

Pay the man. Sucks to cut Gio but it might have to be. Gio will be picked up by another team for sure.

Why pay Perine? Why did we draft Trayveon Williams? If he's still under contract, you may as well get some use outta him. I don't hate Perine, and he brings a diminsion that our other backs don't, so I'm not opposed to keeping him on the cheap, but nothing more than that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 06:32 PM)jason Wrote: Why pay Perine? Why did we draft Trayveon Williams? If he's still under contract, you may as well get some use outta him. I don't hate Perine, and he brings a diminsion that our other backs don't, so I'm not opposed to keeping him on the cheap, but nothing more than that.

I think that they took a late round chance on Trayveon Williams.  In two seasons with the team, he's done very little to make a splash and become a more impactful part of the offensive plans.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As far as carries, yeah I think it makes sense. At give him a shot at the job.

I'm not sure how great he is at picking up the blitz, or how well he would do on third down, but he looked perfectly capable to me of carrying it 75-125 times a year, playing behind Mixon on the depth chart.

I love Gio. I feel like I start a thread every other year about how he's either underrated or misused. But I don't think a roster that needs this much work can afford to pay him 5 billion bucks.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, that is the way I think we should use him. He likes to pound the rock, tough brother.

Cut Gio resign Perine and draft a RB at some point to compete with Travyeon Williams.  I'd love to have Micheal Carter or Kenneth Gainwell in our RB group.

Gainwell Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip28hZyMbaA
Reply/Quote
Just grab a late round RB or sign some good looking UDFAs. That's all you need for a RB2.

Don't pay RBs, and definitely don't pay RB2s.

Keep in mind his 3 highest yard games came against...
1. The 32nd run defense in the NFL (Houston)
2. A team that won by 35 points (Baltimore)
3. A team that won by 25 points (Pittsburgh).

Other than that he never passed 32 rushing yards or 3.8 ypc in any other game. He never produced anything in any meaningful contest, or even semi-meaningful contest. Don't pay a RB2 off that. Doubly so for a 5'11 240 guy who ran a 4.65... that's just all of the red flags right there for a RB 2nd contract. All of them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 08:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just grab a late round RB or sign some good looking UDFAs. That's all you need for a RB2.

Don't pay RBs, and definitely don't pay RB2s.

Keep in mind his 3 highest yard games came against...
1. The 32nd run defense in the NFL (Houston)
2. A team that won by 35 points (Baltimore)
3. A team that won by 25 points (Pittsburgh).

Other than that he never passed 32 rushing yards or 3.8 ypc in any other game. He never produced anything in any meaningful contest, or even semi-meaningful contest. Don't pay a RB2 off that. Doubly so for a 5'11 240 guy who ran a 4.65... that's just all of the red flags right there for a RB 2nd contract. All of them.

Bingo. I wouldn't go over the veteran minimum to keep Perine here.

We have a ton of holes to fill. A 4th guy behind Mixon, Gio, and Trayveon is probably literally the last position I would concern myself with looking at the roster as a whole. Even if we cut Gio I wouldn't want to invest much in the position. Time for Mixon to earn those big paychecks and for Trayveon to get his chance to see the field.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that they took a late round chance on Trayveon Williams.  In two seasons with the team, he's done very little to make a splash and become a more impactful part of the offensive plans.

A good coach would find a way to use him and see what we have instead of not playing him. If memory serves me correct he had a couple long runs late this past year when they actually PLAYED him. Everybody on here makes it sound like Gio is some pro bowler and clearly overvalue him. The dude has had 3 career 100 yard games. He's average at best. Great loyalty and work ethic and I thank him for that tho.

https://www.bengals.com/video/trayveon-williams-rushes-for-a-55-yard-gain-vs-baltimore-ravens
Reply/Quote
I am an SEC fan so I like Trayveon's potential more than Perine's.  However it seems that Samaje passed Williams on the depth chart because he got more carries last year.

Since neither one looked super impressive last year I'd keep Williams just because he is still under contract.  
Reply/Quote
I didn't realize Perine wasn't signed for 2021. That changes my answer a bit.

I'm not opposed to keeping him, but I wouldn't spend a whole lot to do so (750k-1.5 mil).
Reply/Quote
I’m the biggest don’t pay running backs guys out there lol I’m all for saving money at this position. We have needs at both guard spots, RT, DT, DE , CB X 2 and need a speed WR. Most of the Bengals big money is tied up paying two running backs , a run stuffing NT , a number 2 CB and a run stuffing safety in Bell.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like him as the change of pace, because he's a bit of a big banger type, and seems to have decent hands as well.  He can soften up a defense a little, perhaps paving the way for Mixon to get some big plays later in games.

yes, compared to Browns (which have imo the best RB duo in NFL) I see him as the Nick Chubb back and Mixon is like the Kareem Hunt back
Love his no nononsense hit the hole style...
we would still need a change of pace scat back type like Gio...

Reply/Quote
No, I wouldn't mind having him back, but not for more than 1 million, too many other backs that could be had to fill the same role a lot cheaper or in the draft. We have to use what resources are available to fix other areas of need besides a 3rd string back.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 03:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: yes, compared to Browns (which have imo the best RB duo in NFL) I see him as the Nick Chubb back and Mixon is like the Kareem Hunt back
Love his no nononsense hit the hole style...
we would still need a change of pace scat back type like Gio...

The Browns won't even be like that after this year, I feel.
They got Kareem Hunt on the cheap after he was released by the Chiefs. He signed for $6 mill APY.
Nick Chubb, who is the team's leading RB, is in the final year of his rookie contract. The Browns will have to pay him big money if they are going to keep him. He was 2nd in the league in rushing in 2019 and was 7th in 2020. The caveat with 2020 was he missed 4 games. He very likely would have been 3rd in 2020 if he had played the whole season.
Given Chubb's success, I would expect him to get more than $12 mill APY from some team in 2022.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 06:32 PM)jason Wrote: Why pay Perine? Why did we draft Trayveon Williams? If he's still under contract, you may as well get some use outta him. I don't hate Perine, and he brings a diminsion that our other backs don't, so I'm not opposed to keeping him on the cheap, but nothing more than that.

Never said to pay him a lot, just keep him here. Trayveon has yet to show anything in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 07:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: As far as carries, yeah I think it makes sense.  At give him a shot at the job.

I'm not sure how great he is at picking up the blitz, or how well he would do on third down, but he looked perfectly capable to me of carrying it 75-125 times a year, playing behind Mixon on the depth chart.

I love Gio.  I feel like I start a thread every other year about how he's either underrated or misused.  But I don't think a roster that needs this much work can afford to pay him 5 billion bucks.

I don't think there's a back in the league that's worth 5 billion bucks.

That said, for a board that constantly complains that the Bengals got Burrow killed last year, a lot of you sure are set at getting rid of one of the best backs in the league at picking up and blocking the blitz.... If we trade Gio, and his replacement misses a block and Burrow loses another knee, let me guess who's fault that is going to be????
Reply/Quote