Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should newspapers endorse candidates?
(01-22-2020, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It doesn't bother me.  But I don't know how much they actually think it through.  I think they have their person and then develop arguments for them rather than the other way around.

In my experience with the companies I was with, middle management and editorial boards who make the endorsements always leaned toward what they thought the publisher/board of directors wanted. That was a big part of the reason Mitch McConnell always did well in western Kentucky, he was friends with the publishers, and the editors felt they had to promote the Turtle.

(01-22-2020, 01:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: I wasn't referring to the journalists at all, I am referring to the people reading it. My point is whatever a journalist writes in today's world has already been agreed with or disagreed with by the headline before people read the article. An article could be perfectly balanced and people would call it biased because the eventual take is counter to their own opinion. It was a comment about the current climate of the population in general, not the journalists writing these things.

To the topic specifically, my point is it doesn't matter if a paper endorses a candidate or not. It is either immediately dismissed as "biased" or it is cheered because it agrees with their views. I see very few people interested in reading an endorsement and being open to changing their minds.

Ah, I'm following you now.

And that's an excellent point.  Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]