Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals put in a claim for Nick Harris?
Harris was the backup C for the Browns, he's been released. A knee injury wiped out his 2022 season, and the Browns responded by selecting Luke Wypler in the draft. Harris appears to have made a full recovery from his knee injury, and has graded out at 77.7 by PFF, good enough for 8th best among all Centers this preseason. Wypler has really impressed this preseason as well, and the Browns are ready to make him their backup option at C.

After Karras, the Bengals don't really have much of anything to write home about at the Center position. Hill is pretty unimpressive, and Scharping has taken the very first reps at C in his life this preseason. I'm thinking that Harris might be a good add, seeing how he's entering just his 4th year in the league and appears to be fully recovered from his knee injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Harris was the backup C for the Browns, he's been released. A knee injury wiped out his 2022 season, and the Browns responded by selecting Luke Wypler in the draft. Harris appears to have made a full recovery from his knee injury, and has graded out at 77.7 by PFF, good enough for 8th best among all Centers this preseason. Wypler has really impressed this preseason as well, and the Browns are ready to make him their backup option at C.

After Karras, the Bengals don't really have much of anything to write home about at the Center position. Hill is pretty unimpressive, and Scharping has taken the very first reps at C in his life this preseason. I'm thinking that Harris might be a good add, seeing how he's entering just his 4th year in the league and appears to be fully recovered from his knee injury.

I seriously think that’s pretty astute of you.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Not opposed to this idea

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I seriously think that’s pretty astute of you.

After watching the OL be reason for the past two Bengal seasons ending without a Lombardi Trophy, I would think it rather obtuse of the Bengals to not want to jump on an opportunity to attain some quality depth in the position group, at a very low cost.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:17 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not opposed to this idea

Anytime the team can get better in the trenches, especially at a very low cost, they should jump on that opportunity.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After watching the OL be reason for the past two Bengal seasons ending without a Lombardi Trophy, I would think it rather obtuse of the Bengals to not want to jump on an opportunity to attain some quality depth in the position group, at a very low cost.

Definitely need some depth and he would be the best option out there. 

If he wasn't injured last season, he'd still be starting for the Browns. 

He'd be solid depth and he might want to come here because of how good we look and as a big "F YOU!" to the Browns.
Reply/Quote
I'd like it if he can also play G as well. I think having a roster spot for purely a backup C is a tough choice. Not sure if he can play G in the AFCN at 293lbs, though.

I'll admit I really thought Hill would have recovered from the double-knee surgery that made him plummet in the draft and have really shown something by now. I really liked the pick at the time and thought it was a steal. His inability to have broken through the lineup despite injuries and some really bad guys starting at times at G makes me think it might just not ever happen though.

Looking at improving the OL is always a good move.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd like it if he can also play G as well. I think having a roster spot for purely a backup C is a tough choice.

This.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
It will all come down to how well Max Scharping plays at center tonite. He's starting the game with Browning at QB. The coaches were pleased with how well he did last week.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I would say no to claiming Harris. He just doesnt have enough of a past record for us to judge him. In 2021 he only played 68 snaps with a 70 PFF. In 2020 he played 143 snaps with a 51.3 PFF. The 77.7 preseason PFF grade is not nearly enough for us to sign him to the 53 man roster. If he passes waivers then maybe you look at signing him to the practice squad so you can get a better look.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Harris was the backup C for the Browns, he's been released. A knee injury wiped out his 2022 season, and the Browns responded by selecting Luke Wypler in the draft. Harris appears to have made a full recovery from his knee injury, and has graded out at 77.7 by PFF, good enough for 8th best among all Centers this preseason. Wypler has really impressed this preseason as well, and the Browns are ready to make him their backup option at C.

Think Hill is a roster lock bro. MS played well enough to be comfortable if Karras and shill go down. I’m fairly certain Hill would get claimed on the Ps too so i think he’s here at least one more year. What this year is to Jeff Gunther i think will be next year for Trey Hill. Gonna be a show out in camp or get cut type of year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 06:55 PM)Housh Wrote: Think Hill is a roster lock bro. MS played well enough to be comfortable if Karras and shill go down. I’m fairly certain Hill would get claimed on the Ps too so i think he’s here at least one more year. What this year is to Jeff Gunther i think will be next year for Trey Hill. Gonna be a show out in camp or get cut type of year

I, for one, am not sure that Hill should be looked at as a roster lock.  Harris would be an instant upgrade Hill, but that is just my opinion.  If you get a chance, watch a little of Harris in action this preseason.  The guy is agile, quick, and has some pop to him.

Here's a breakdown of Harris by a former NFL OL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After watching extensive action of both Hill and Scharping in the 1st half of tonight's game, I stand by this post calling for making a claim on Nick Harris.

Scharping had at least two high snaps in shotgun, and a costly holding penalty that negated a fabulous run by Saylor. Hill on the other hand showed really well in run blocking, but also showed that he can't handle pass pro from the G position. His facemask penalty on an otherwise spectacular 3rd down grab by Tanner Hudson not only negated the play, but it killed all momentum going to that point. Hill followed that play up by not only whiffing on his initial block on the ensuing play, but lunging and landing face on the ground, resulting in 4th and 23. Washington seized the momentum and walked right down to get their first TD.

If I saw all of that, I'm sure that the Bengals staff and management saw it, too. Hopefully they put in the claim and Harris makes it to the Bengals roster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm actually pretty impressed with how Scharping is doing at center, being he's never played the position. He could develop into a nice backup center, and he's cheap.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 04:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I seriously think that’s pretty astute of you.

You said astute.  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 09:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You said astute.  Hilarious

He's not wrong, I did graduate Summa Cum Laude in Surveying.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 09:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm actually pretty impressed with how Scharping is doing at center, being he's never played the position. He could develop into a nice backup center, and he's cheap.

And I like their strategy here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just reading about Jensen who’s had a career ending knee injury.

Supposedly if rumours were to be believed our number 1 OL target last season until Brady made it all about him again and came out of retirement.

Funny how things play out because I couldn’t imagine anyone else at centre than Teddy K now.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 06:55 PM)Housh Wrote: Think Hill is a roster lock bro. MS played well enough to be comfortable if Karras and shill go down. I’m fairly certain Hill would get claimed on the Ps too so i think he’s here at least one more year. What this year is to Jeff Gunther i think will be next year for Trey Hill. Gonna be a show out in camp or get cut type of year

No idea how Hill is a lock?  Scharping has seemingly taken the backup C role.  Hill has not looked good this preseason. If he lost his job as a backup who claims him to be on their 53?  

Reply/Quote
Why would we pickup our old punter, from 2 decades ago?

Ninja
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote