Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the NFL change the way it shares revenue?
Instead of sharing television and merchandise revenue equally among the 32 teams, should the league change the way it shares this revenue?

I would like to see an incentive based plan be put in place that would reward teams based on performance and not the current system that merely rewards owning an NFL franchise. If this league is a true parity league, then everyone would get their fair share of the pie sooner or later. Correct?

I would like to see all teams start with a low base revenue and earn their way to bigger profits, for example: Go to a wild card game, get bonus revenue. Win your division get a bigger bonus. Win your conference, now we're talking big money. Win the Super Bowl equals "Jackpot!"

BTW, this is the 1st thread I have started here in four years and thought it would be a good topic to start.

Would this plan make an owner such as our own Mike Brown finally change the way he does business? If he is truly motivated by money, would it not be in his financial best interest to do so? I think the Rooney's, the Kraft's, and Jerry Jones would love to see a plan like this put in place, they like making money and they like to WIN. Do you think the Bengals front office would go for such a plan?

We have a salary cap and a salary floor, why not this? Is this just crazy thinking on my part? What says you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It should be: The revenue the owner receives can not exceed in excess of 30% of his/her claimed yearly income. Basically, this forces owners to not use the franchise as a sole income source. This would eliminate situations like we have, where profits are valued over winning. Most owners have other revenue sources or are independently wealthy, unfortunately for us.......Mike Brown does not.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, IF the NFL started to change the way they shared revenue to performance-based, I doubt the Bengals would miraculously change their operations. I think they'd just budget less and spend way less on the product like small market baseball teams.

They'd likely do this before they adjusted their management. I'm sure they feel that they run things correctly.
Reply/Quote
No, just no.
Reply/Quote
Never happen. You're looking at it from the view of a fan, not an owner.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Unfortunately, IF the NFL started to change the way they shared revenue to performance-based, I doubt the Bengals would miraculously change their operations. I think they'd just budget less and spend way less on the product like small market baseball teams.

They'd likely do this before they adjusted their management. I'm sure they feel that they run things correctly.

How could they spend less? Doesn't all teams have to spend to the salary floor? In MLB there is no cap or floor, teams can spend as much or as little as they choose. There is a luxury tax that punishes MLB teams for spending OVER a set amount but this is often ignored by the big market teams.

I too believe they think they are running things correctly because the way the NFL does business, the Brown family are making a profit year end and year out no matter what product they put on the field.

(10-21-2019, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Never happen. You're looking at it from the view of a fan, not an owner.

You are 100% correct. It's too bad Mike Brown isn't more of a fan. Look at our owner as he watches games and watch Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones watch games. They have a passion for the game that I just don't see from Mike Brown and that's a shame.
Reply/Quote