Poll: Should the NFL still have a preseason?
This poll is closed.
yes
42.11%
8 42.11%
no
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the NFL disband preseason?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2547806-why-does-the-nfl-still-have-a-preseason

I completely disagree with this article but would like to here the boards view on this.  For me its simple you have to have preseason because it helps gets players into football shape and ready for the season. Its not like the NFL is the only one that does this to MLB has spring training, Basketball has a preseason, soccer clubs in Europe have a preseason, and the NHL has a preseason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They need to cut it down to 2 games instead of four.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They need to cut it down to 2 games instead of four.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Reply/Quote
Unless you're going to advocate for more joint training camp scrimmages, this is a valuable tool for the team. They probably need a developmental league.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No way that the preseason should be knocked out completely. It's valuable time to evaluate some of the developing players and younger players who probably won't see significant game time (or any game time at all) during the actual season. However, I do feel that preseason is too long, as offseason conditioning has improved so much, with the OTAs and players doing their own workouts and camps. Preseason is no longer a four week period to get players in football shape like it used to be.

But again, even if you shorten the preseason to two weeks, there are going to be a lot more starters playing a lot more time, probably an entire half each game. That both lessens the time for 3rd, 4th and beyond stringers, and opens up even more possibilities for injuries. Giving teams more contact time in practices would probably have to happen as well.

A developmental league would be nice, but unfortunately the college game is the closest we're ever going to get to it, and we see how some of the college players really do need a year or two to...well...develop. It's a great idea, I just don't get how it would work. Expanding each franchise to have a "minor-league" team, maybe they play on Fridays? A summer league (but if they get called up does one really expect a player to play year round)? Is there enough football talent out there to make up an entire minor league?  Reform the XFL (LOL)? Whatever it is, the NFL would have to put its stamp of approval on it, there's no way a competing organization would make it.
Reply/Quote
Preseason games have their purpose, and are actually entertaining if you want to see new players/depth for a team and/or QB battles play out. The only people who have a legit gripe with pre-season are season ticket holders and the players, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 08:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Preseason games have their purpose, and are actually entertaining if you want to see new players/depth for a team and/or QB battles play out. The only people who have a legit gripe with pre-season are season ticket holders and the players, I guess.

Yeah, that might be the one thing I'd change: have the games, but don't include it as part of the season ticket package. Or if you do, charge a reduced price. I believe they'll ever do either, of course, but it's nice to dream.

I wonder if they didn't include it as part of the season ticket package if there'd be over 5,000 people there.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They need to cut it down to 2 games instead of four.

If they're going to do that, they should increase the 53 man roster to at least 55 if not 60.  I guess a better idea would be to give teams until week 2 of the regular season to cut down to 53.  I know that they are marginal players, but several guys a year make a team based off their performance in the 4th preseason game. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Yup

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 08:58 PM)jason Wrote: If they're going to do that, they should increase the 53 man roster to at least 55 if not 60.  I guess a better idea would be to give teams until week 2 of the regular season to cut down to 53.  I know that they are marginal players, but several guys a year make a team based off their performance in the 4th preseason game. 
I like this idea.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Unless you're going to advocate for more joint training camp scrimmages, this is a valuable tool for the team. They probably need a developmental league.

Bingo.

Rather than the unpaid interns they currently have that poses as college football.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Unless you're going to advocate for more joint training camp scrimmages, this is a valuable tool for the team. They probably need a developmental league.

Doubt there's any time for a developmental league that would draw enough interest to make it worth the money.

Plus, when would you have it?  During the NFL season?  Then it would get no views or audience.

Maybe most important is how many players are just completely crippled by season's end?  If you make a developmental league, you're just subjecting players to large amounts of beating and unnecessary wear and tear.  NFL careers are short-lived with an an average of 3.3 years, so a developmental league most likely wouldn't work like with the NBA or MLB just because of the beating football players take.

If you're not good enough coming out of college, then stay in school.  When you graduate, hope to get drafted or go a team's tryout, but a developmental NFL league would be a waste of time and money.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Bingo.

Rather than the unpaid interns they currently have that poses as college football.

But then what about the players that aren't good enough to get to the NFL?

Very few players make it and the rest need to go to school.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doubt there's any time for a developmental league that would draw enough interest to make it worth the money.

Plus, when would you have it?  During the NFL season?  Then it would get no views or audience.

Maybe most important is how many players are just completely crippled by season's end?  If you make a developmental league, you're just subjecting players to large amounts of beating and unnecessary wear and tear.  NFL careers are short-lived with an an average of 3.3 years, so a developmental league most likely wouldn't work like with the NBA or MLB just because of the beating football players take.

If you're not good enough coming out of college, then stay in school.  When you graduate, hope to get drafted or go a team's tryout, but a developmental NFL league would be a waste of time and money.

The NFL would only do it if they could profit, but it could be a place for those who can make it past the college level but struggle to find a place in the NFL. Those practice squad journeymen or arena ball players. 

Reply/Quote
People act like effort matters and then complain about watching games where people are literally living their life-long dream of playing to make an NFL team. I get it, they aren't the stars, but is it so awful? Well, maybe it is kinda boring. I'd enjoy the pre-season more if McCarron played just to give us SOMETHING new to see.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 12:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: People act like effort matters and then complain about watching games where people are literally living their life-long dream of playing to make an NFL team.  I get it, they aren't the stars, but is it so awful?  Well, maybe it is kinda boring.  I'd enjoy the pre-season more if McCarron played just to give us SOMETHING new to see.

Seriously. Even though it didn't matter, it was awesome seeing our 3rd string QB execute a game winning drive. Dude just spent a year in the arena league, and now he gets to play in the NFL. 

He was so humble when they came out to interview him and had the most genuine reaction when Suggs dumped water on his head. It was great.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doubt there's any time for a developmental league that would draw enough interest to make it worth the money.

1.) Were in a football starved country so I think they could get an audience for football. People watch the draft and that's just Rodger Goodell reading names off a paper. Hell people watch the combine and that's just people working out in their underwear doing nonsense drills.  Point being if you have a league in the spring time you'll get some type of audience. He'll it beats the NFL network running every Americas game for the 1000 time.

2.) The league would be for players who are on the practice squad or haven't made any teams yet. It would not be for proven players.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I also want to point out your poll and thread title say the opposite thing, as in a NO means YES depending on which you are looking at.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But then what about the players that aren't good enough to get to the NFL?

Very few players make it and the rest need to go to school.

Some have gone to CFL. Some have done Arena league. And some went to Europe as well.

I think it would give chances to young players that played in small schools a chance to prove they can play well. Not many teams are going to look at small school tape unless there's media hype about a guy. It helps competition.
Reply/Quote
Speaking on the development league and the fact that currently that league is the college program:

The biggest issue I have with the College program is how completely watered down the talent is. By that I mean there are so many programs that the talent gets spread so thin across the country that Johnny Manziel can happen. When your leagues defensive talent is spread out like it is in college you end up with a bunch QB's that are runners instead of pocket passers. We have been inundated for the last couple decades with the "Running QB" entering into the NFL. At first it worked. RGIII had a good season, Mike Vick had some good seasons (not throwing). This is not to say all QB's (Mr. Cro Magnon in Indi) But it didn't take NFL coaches long to figure out how to shut that down. So why does it still prevail in college. Talent. The talent on any one NFL team defense is soooo much greater than on any one college team. They are faster bigger and more discipline. This is primarily do to dilution within the college system. This leads to running qb's in college being very successful due to all of the attributes being lacking in the college programs.

Imagine if the NFL came out and said over the next 5 years they were going to evaluate all of the college programs and announce that effective 2020 only 64 college programs will be eligible for the NFL draft. All other student athletes can try for the NFL as an un-drafted free agent.

How long would it take those programs to:

1 Form a new conference to play each other similar to how the NFL does
2 Condense the majority of the talent in the US to those 64 teams
3 provide a better product at certain positions than they do now.

I'm certainly not saying my opinion is right or we need to do this or anything like that. Just putting a thought out there to be discussed.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote