Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Reds be active for trades?
We are about a month away from the All Star break and the Reds are in last place. However, we are not really out of it yet. I suspect another fire sale this year as the Reds will try to build for next year. One player I see moving once Scooter returns is Iggy. He will want a large contract next year since he is having a good year at SS. Personally, I rather see them deal Peraza instead. Another player they may deal is Puig. He could play outfield for a contender based on his arm. He has an awesome throw home. He really hasn't settled in as a Reds player IMO. Sort of like living with a relative instead of a permanent home. There may be some pitchers moved as well. The Reds are not quite ready for contention yet. Maybe in a few years.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 09:12 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: We are about a month away from the All Star break and the Reds are in last place. However, we are not really out of it yet. I suspect another fire sale this year as the Reds will try to build for next year. One player I see moving once Scooter returns is Iggy. He will want a large contract next year since he is having a good year at SS. Personally, I rather see them deal Peraza instead. Another player they may deal is Puig. He could play outfield for a contender based on his arm. He has an awesome throw home. He really hasn't settled in as a Reds player IMO. Sort of like living with a relative instead of a permanent home. There may be some pitchers moved as well. The Reds are not quite ready for contention yet. Maybe in a few years.

Puig has settled in better than Marlon Byrd did back in 2015. I don't mean in the stat department, but he seems to be more happy to be in Cincinnati than Byrd was.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd say they will be if any decent offers come along.

There are probably only a handful of guys off limits to a large degree.... Votto, because nobody is gonna take on his contract. Suarez, Senzel, Castillo, Garrett. Then you can pretty well add Dietrich and J. Iglesias to that list because the Reds control them for next season and will be able to keep them without breaking the bank.

Puig is a definite trade option but can they get anything for him ? Scooter as well, do you pay him millions or trade him for another arm ? A large part of the rest of the team I'd say they'd entertain offers on.

Make no mistake this is still a roster work in progress.
Reply/Quote
There are 15 teams in the NL and the Reds have a better record than 2 of them. They have a bunch of teams to leapfrog to get the last wildcard spot. The team scores 2 runs or less in 1/3 of their games and play in Homerun Heaven. If the Reds are more than 2 games under .500 by the AllStar break then they should go into full sell mode. Castillo, Suarez and Senzel are the only 3 that I wouldn’t have listed as available. This year is extra disappointing because of how good the pitching has been. If they don’t run off at least an 8 of 10 streak in the next week or 2 then it’s pointless.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 12:06 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: There are 15 teams in the NL and the Reds have a better record than 2 of them. They have a bunch of teams to leapfrog to get the last wildcard spot. The team scores 2 runs or less in 1/3 of their games and play in Homerun Heaven. If the Reds are more than 2 games under .500 by the AllStar break then they should go into full sell mode. Castillo, Suarez and Senzel are the only 3 that I wouldn’t have listed as available. This year is extra disappointing because of how good the pitching has been. If they don’t run off at least an 8 of 10 streak in the next week or 2 then it’s pointless.

Yep

There's 21 games left until the All Star break. The Reds badly need to get hot and fast ! 14, 15 wins in this end of the 1st half. They only get 8 or 10 wins in this stretch and end up 10 or more games out before break and it's gonna be a giant struggle to have any kind of run.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 05:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

There's 21 games left until the All Star break. The Reds badly need to get hot and fast ! 14, 15 wins in this end of the 1st half. They only get 8 or 10 wins in this stretch and end up 10 or more games out before break and it's gonna be a giant struggle to have any kind of run.

Agreed.... What sucks is that they have been so close, yet so far away. Win just 3 more of those close games and they’re sitting at .500. On another note, it’s nice to have these conversations. I’m not sure why more people don’t participate here. I like the guys that do contribute but a few more people would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 09:01 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Agreed.... What sucks is that they have been so close, yet so far away. Win just 3 more of those close games and they’re sitting at .500. On another note, it’s nice to have these conversations. I’m not sure why more people don’t participate here. I like the guys that do contribute but a few more people would be nice.

Agreed

If they'd get hot there would probably be a few more posters. Right now a lot of folks are probably like ho hum, same old Reds as last 5 years.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer more fans who know a bit about baseball and not just fans who want trades for the sake of making trades. Trades seldom occur just because some fan thinks the best players in the league can be had  for a song and dance. 'Trade all our underperforming players for the all star lineup because...well, just because..'
Currently batting averages are down around the league so it's not unique to just the Reds.
I've seen a fair amount of bashing Peraza, but even though he got off to a slow start he's been picking it up quite a bit of late. I don't want to see Iglesias traded away from our SS position at this point at all and in fact would hope they can reach a deal for another season or two.
I'm unsure about Scooter. Nobody knows how he'll perform once he's back and his defensive skills are sometimes suspect. People often act like he can do no wrong ever.. I'm open to keeping him around, but if he comes in and hits .203 the rest of the season he won't remain a fan favorite for long.
While Dietrich provided quite a bit of pop early on he's also had periods of little to no production. His defence also isn't the greatest. Winker is another one. He can hit, but this season he looks pretty damned weak and I don't even remember his last HR. He's effectively useless against left handers..same for Dietrich for that matter.
Pitching is pretty solid, but a few guys can be moved. I like the starting rotation and most of the bullpen. I think Iglesias as the stopped needs to be looked at. If he doesn't pick things up he needs to be taken out of the stopper role in favor of Garrett IMO.. He can't be counted on in extra innings or in tie games. His splits tell a pretty sad tale under pressure especially..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 07:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'd prefer more fans who know a bit about baseball and not just fans who want trades for the sake of making trades. Trades seldom occur just because some fan thinks the best players in the league can be had  for a song and dance. 'Trade all our underperforming players for the all star lineup because...well, just because..'
Currently batting averages are down around the league so it's not unique to just the Reds.
I've seen a fair amount of bashing Peraza, but even though he got off to a slow start he's been picking it up quite a bit of late. I don't want to see Iglesias traded away from our SS position at this point at all and in fact would hope they can reach a deal for another season or two.
I'm unsure about Scooter. Nobody knows how he'll perform once he's back and his defensive skills are sometimes suspect. People often act like he can do no wrong ever.. I'm open to keeping him around, but if he comes in and hits .203 the rest of the season he won't remain a fan favorite for long.
While Dietrich provided quite a bit of pop early on he's also had periods of little to no production. His defence also isn't the greatest. Winker is another one. He can hit, but this season he looks pretty damned weak and I don't even remember his last HR. He's effectively useless against left handers..same for Dietrich for that matter.
Pitching is pretty solid, but a few guys can be moved. I like the starting rotation and most of the bullpen. I think Iglesias as the stopped needs to be looked at. If he doesn't pick things up he needs to be taken out of the stopper role in favor of Garrett IMO.. He can't be counted on in extra innings or in tie games. His splits tell a pretty sad tale under pressure especially..

I don’t think that too many people want trades for the sake of making a trade. The trades have to make sense. I love what Iglesias has done and would like to see a 2-3 year deal. Peraza is decent fielding at 2B and not a good defensive SS. He also has to hit .290 to have a passable OBP because he doesn’t like to take a walk. The team has Peraza, Scooter and Dietrich, all of which should have 2B as their primary position. You don’t think that a trade is needed? The OF has one decent future Of’er in Senzel. Winker sucks as a fielder, doesn’t run well and isn’t getting on base this year. Puig is a good defender that hasn’t been able to make contact. People don’t want trades for no reason. There are a few solid pieces going forward but there are some serious voids too. Just my opinion!
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2019, 05:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I don’t think that too many people want trades for the sake of making a trade. The trades have to make sense. I love what Iglesias has done and would like to see a 2-3 year deal. Peraza is decent fielding at 2B and not a good defensive SS. He also has to hit .290 to have a passable OBP because he doesn’t like to take a walk. The team has Peraza, Scooter and Dietrich, all of which should have 2B as their primary position. You don’t think that a trade is needed? The OF has one decent future Of’er in Senzel. Winker sucks as a fielder, doesn’t run well and isn’t getting on base this year. Puig is a good defender that hasn’t been able to make contact. People don’t want trades for no reason. There are a few solid pieces going forward but there are some serious voids too. Just my opinion!

Well WE don't want trades for the sake of trades. That much we agree on, but there are more than plenty of fans who do.. That was my only point there.
Contrary to opinions expressed somewhere I don't recall Iglesias signed a ONE year deal with the Reds, not 2 or 3.. I wish it had been 2, but it wasn't.
Peraza really can hit and for average. His slow start this season shouldn't be held against him. Winker, I think is suffering from last season's shoulder injury, but probably could get back to where he was last season before the injury. He's still not a great fielder, but the Reds, despite some players who aren't great fielders still rank among the best in the league in fielding percentages. They're 5th in the entire league in fielding percentages, have the 4th fewest errors with only 33 on the season. Seattle has had 81 errors. Houston leads with only 26.. (Reds are: 12th in caught stealing, have just 4 passed balls as opposed to Atlanta with 11, etc, etc, and so on.. So fielding? They're pretty darned solid. It's lack of hitting where they really hurt.. Both Puig (.293 BA his last 15 games and .393 this past week) and Votto have been picking it up of late and Jesse today went 4-5, 2 singles, a double and a HR. Will he continue with that line? I doubt it, but stranger things happen. Regardless I still like Jesse.. If he can get back to hitting in the .270-300 range he could make the ASG someday. Dietrich is a HR or bust type hitter.  Over his last 7 games? his BA is a measly .087 and .224 this past month. He's a utility player AT BEST...nothing more, nothing less.
Suarez has me concerned. This past week he's hit just .111, .164 the past 15 and .261 for the month.. His power has dropped off significantly. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I’d be okay with trading anybody who’s contract expires at the end of this season.

They’d need to bring in offense to fix what is broken, but we have plenty of that if the damn bats would just wake up.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 11:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well WE don't want trades for the sake of trades. That much we agree on, but there are more than plenty of fans who do.. That was my only point there.
Contrary to opinions expressed somewhere I don't recall Iglesias signed a ONE year deal with the Reds, not 2 or 3.. I wish it had been 2, but it wasn't.
Peraza really can hit and for average. His slow start this season shouldn't be held against him. Winker, I think is suffering from last season's shoulder injury, but probably could get back to where he was last season before the injury. He's still not a great fielder, but the Reds, despite some players who aren't great fielders still rank among the best in the league in fielding percentages. They're 5th in the entire league in fielding percentages, have the 4th fewest errors with only 33 on the season. Seattle has had 81 errors. Houston leads with only 26.. (Reds are: 12th in caught stealing, have just 4 passed balls as opposed to Atlanta with 11, etc, etc, and so on.. So fielding? They're pretty darned solid. It's lack of hitting where they really hurt.. Both Puig (.293 BA his last 15 games and .393 this past week) and Votto have been picking it up of late and Jesse today went 4-5, 2 singles, a double and a HR. Will he continue with that line? I doubt it, but stranger things happen. Regardless I still like Jesse.. If he can get back to hitting in the .270-300 range he could make the ASG someday. Dietrich is a HR or bust type hitter.  Over his last 7 games? his BA is a measly .087 and .224 this past month. He's a utility player AT BEST...nothing more, nothing less.
Suarez has me concerned. This past week he's hit just .111, .164 the past 15 and .261 for the month.. His power has dropped off significantly. 

I apologize for just getting back with you on this. It sounds like you are in favor of not trading and taking the long shot on the wildcard, is that what you’re saying? I’m not opposed to that if it’s justified by their record before the deadline. If they’re not close then they need to focus on the future and identify a path for next year. It also seems that you really like Peraza. I like that he’s cheap, under team control, has speed, can play multiple positions adequately and I agree that he can be a good hitter. The things that I dislike are that he isn’t good at shortstop as an everyday starter, he has long periods of struggling at the plate and will rarely take a walk. When he’s not hitting, he is useless because of the mediocre glove and not taking the walks. I personally don’t mind him on the team as an IF/OF sub. I do not like him as a starter and especially a starting shortstop. It’s nice to see a 3 game streak, hopefully it continues.
Reply/Quote
Took a look at the standings this morning and the Reds are only 6 games out even with our abysmal hitting. And the Reds have lost a lot of one run games. Maybe we could be a buyer if we continue to gain on the Brewers and Cubs. Puig is coming around lately too. Lets keep winning and see what happens.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Yea.

They should trade away Roark, Puig and listen to offers for Iglesias, at a minimum.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:23 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Took a look at the standings this morning and the Reds are only 6 games out even with our abysmal hitting. And the Reds have lost a lot of one run games. Maybe we could be a buyer if we continue to gain on the Brewers and Cubs. Puig is coming around lately too. Lets keep winning and see what happens.

Puig is coming around, a bit but now Suarez is slumping. The announcers said during Winkers what was is 4 or 5 RBI game the other day that he only had 4 RBI's in the previous 30 games ! You can't have one of your corner outfielders having 70 RBI's for the season. Right now he has 24 RBI's Casalli has 18 for example with over 100 fewer at bats !
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:23 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Took a look at the standings this morning and the Reds are only 6 games out even with our abysmal hitting. And the Reds have lost a lot of one run games. Maybe we could be a buyer if we continue to gain on the Brewers and Cubs. Puig is coming around lately too. Lets keep winning and see what happens.

I think that the deadline is July 31st. They should probably wait until mid July to decide on what to do, unless they drop way back before then. Scooter will be added to the mix in about a week from now too.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 02:12 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I apologize for just getting back with you on this. It sounds like you are in favor of not trading and taking the long shot on the wildcard, is that what you’re saying? I’m not opposed to that if it’s justified by their record before the deadline. If they’re not close then they need to focus on the future and identify a path for next year. It also seems that you really like Peraza. I like that he’s cheap, under team control, has speed, can play multiple positions adequately and I agree that he can be a good hitter. The things that I dislike are that he isn’t good at shortstop as an everyday starter, he has long periods of struggling at the plate and will rarely take a walk. When he’s not hitting, he is useless because of the mediocre glove and not taking the walks. I personally don’t mind him on the team as an IF/OF sub. I do not like him as a starter and especially a starting shortstop. It’s nice to see a 3 game streak, hopefully it continues.

I'm not opposed to trades. I just want them to strengthen the team overall instead of weaken them.. I'm definitely not in love with Peraza, but he gets a lot of bad raps he probably doesn't deserve. When he zeros in he's about a tough an out as they come though..Guys who can hit the ball where they ain't don't just grow on trees outside the stadium. 

Reply/Quote
Now that we are back in the mix, the one thing concerning, despite the outstanding pitching, is the quality starts. We have only 24 quality starts which is near the bottom. This spells trouble for the bullpen eventually.
Reply/Quote