Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should this journalist be fired?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/08/surprising-no-one-white-man-beats-black-woman-to-become-final-american-idol-winner/?wpisrc=nl_az_most

Should this white apologist journalist be fired for stereotyping American Idol winners as low talent guitar carrying white males? Dismissed for stating there was racism in a contest voted on by anyone who wanted to vote? Is this really any different than the female reporter who was fired in Pittsburgh who was fired for her racial comments, when this is an obvious attempt to incite racism where there is none? I believe someone stated reporters should know to stick to facts ( which was news to me ) and should be aware of the backlash that could occur from them making generalizations and stereotypes? Or does being a journalist for the Washington Post make it all good?
American Idol is still a thing?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-08-2016, 11:14 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/08/surprising-no-one-white-man-beats-black-woman-to-become-final-american-idol-winner/?wpisrc=nl_az_most

Should this white apologist journalist be fired for stereotyping American Idol winners as low talent guitar carrying white males? Dismissed for stating there was racism in a contest voted on by anyone who wanted to vote? Is this really any different than the female reporter who was fired in Pittsburgh who was fired for her racial comments, when this is an obvious attempt to incite racism where there is none? I believe someone stated reporters should know to stick to facts ( which was news to me ) and should be aware of the backlash that could occur from them making generalizations and stereotypes? Or does being a journalist for the Washington Post make it all good?

Fair is fair after all.
(04-08-2016, 11:14 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/08/surprising-no-one-white-man-beats-black-woman-to-become-final-american-idol-winner/?wpisrc=nl_az_most

Wait....This is an article that had to pass the editor to get published.  How is this even remotely the same thing as posting comments, unsolicited or reviewed by the paper, to social media?

If the paper has an issue with this article they would need to review not only the journalist but also anyone in the process of approval.  That being said...the paper is well within there rights to fire anyone associated with the article if they have issues with it.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(04-08-2016, 11:31 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Wait....This is an article that had to pass the editor to get published.  How is this even remotely the same thing as posting comments, unsolicited or reviewed by the paper, to social media?

If the paper has an issue with this article they would need to review not only the journalist but also anyone in the process of approval.  That being said...the paper is well within there rights to fire anyone associated with the article if they have issues with it.

Personally, I think the article is far too critical of rhythm guitarists.  We have feelings, you know.
(04-08-2016, 11:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Personally, I think the article is far too critical of rhythm guitarists.  We have feelings, you know.

Stop lying, no you don't.
(04-08-2016, 11:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Stop lying, no you don't.

This is true.  Rhythm guitarists should have to play off stage and out of view.

(04-08-2016, 12:22 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This is true.  Rhythm guitarists should have to play off stage and out of view.

They are rather useful, as lead singers need someone to feign copulation on. It can't be the lead guitarist, as he has important things to do.
Ninja
(04-08-2016, 11:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Stop lying, no you don't.

I'm 87% sure you play bass.
You most likely will not get too many straight answers, but as for me: No, I don't feel the journalist should be fired. It is simply a rag piece that will have as much merit as folks will give it.

Of course I didn't think the journalist from Pittsburgh should have been fired either. I try to be less judgemental and more accepting than many.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-08-2016, 01:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm 87% sure you play bass.

No one plays bass.  They Slappa-Da-Baeass Mon.

(04-08-2016, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You most likely will not get too many straight answers, but as for me: No, I don't feel the journalist should be fired. It is simply a rag piece that will have as much merit as folks will give it.

Of course I didn't think the journalist from Pittsburgh should have been fired either. I try to be less judgemental and more accepting than many.

Hmmm, live and let live even if you're not some sort of real or perceived minority? Interesting concept bfine32.
Wow....the butt-hurt is strong in that article.

How about just recognizing it's first and foremost a tv show (i.e. entertainment)...and the "contest" is less meritocracy and just reflects the audience preferences. I haven't watched the show for years, but it was always pretty clear the judges tried to walk a fine line between ratings and talent.
--------------------------------------------------------

Well, as has been mentioned, this is an opinion piece published after being vetted by the publisher in reaction to social media about a reality show.

The other was published on a page attached to her employer without their knowledge in which she assumed the entire life story of  a suspect (that had not been named yet) in a murder.

So....exactly the same?

What if we went over social media post of everyone who posts on this board?  Should they be banned for having a racist/supremacist opinion? The mods control who is allowed to post here.  They are the "bosses" and can say if something goes beyond their rules of conduct.  It is much closer to the Pittsburgh story:  We post, they react.

Back when the Bengals actually ran this board it was more like the story you shared.  if one of their employees did something they disapproved of without their knowledge they could/would fire them.

So, no.  Unless they had no idea what was being published.

Oh, and I didn't think Bell should have been fired either...but it is not the same as this story.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-08-2016, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You most likely will not get too many straight answers, but as for me: No, I don't feel the journalist should be fired. It is simply a rag piece that will have as much merit as folks will give it.

Mellow

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It's completely voted on by the viewers. I'm not sure what they wanted done.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-08-2016, 02:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well, as has been mentioned, this is an opinion piece published after being vetted by the publisher in reaction to social media about a reality show.

The other was published on a page attached to her employer without their knowledge in which she assumed the entire life story of  a suspect (that had not been named yet) in a murder.

So....exactly the same?

What if we went over social media post of everyone who posts on this board?  Should they be banned for having a racist/supremacist opinion? The mods control who is allowed to post here.  They are the "bosses" and can say if something goes beyond their rules of conduct.  It is much closer to the Pittsburgh story:  We post, they react.

Back when the Bengals actually ran this board it was more like the story you shared.  if one of their employees did something they disapproved of without their knowledge they could/would fire them.

So, no.  Unless they had no idea what was being published.

Oh, and I didn't think Bell should have been fired either...but it is not the same as this story.

No, not the same, but in some ways the American Idol thing was worse. The Pittsburgh journalist was giving her opinion of a situation, and (with the restaurant employee) was feeling sorry for them in her own little (perhaps misguided) way, but I'm pretty sure no harm was intended. The American Idol journalist was deliberately ignoring facts to fan the fires of racism when in fact there weren't any to fan, the viewing public votes on who advances and the eventual winner. It was just as good a story to report the facts, a final between two kids (neither with formal vocal training) who advanced to the finals of the show; both of whom had really grown into their abilities as the show progressed. We have shock jocks like Howard Stern and inflammatory people like the Reverand Al to blow things out of proportion, or as in this case; blatantly lie about them, and it serves no useful purpose. Now, had they wanted to just criticize, they could have mentioned that the kid that won was a farmboy who had somewhat of a blockhead on his shoulders, or that the runner-up looked a lot more like Ruben than she did Fantasia, which probably didn't help her voting chances; all true statements but he didn't have to say anything but report the results, geez most people didn't even know the show was happening. It would be like me complaining when Alfonso Ribeiro won DWTS that too many black people are winning the show, and it's all rigged; Sadie Robertson should have won. But that would be stupid, because Alfonso can flat dance, yet if you google results on that show, some jerk said Alfonso won because of his connection to Will Smith. Now, you probably think, I'm a junkie of these reality shows,not so. I watched Alfonso dance twice, no need to watch anymore, not unlike watching modern day Bengal playoff games. I caught some of the AI series because it was their final season, and I like those shows, one of my favorite bands came from Star Search; Sawyer Brown. Idol gave us a few personal faves too, not the least of who would be Carrie Underwood or Kellie Pickler.

Two different things.

The WaPo story is pointing out what's already out there — lawsuits, social media comments, allegations by judges — which is not necessarily news, but it is concerning facts. You may not agree with the subject matter but it's stuff that's happened. The show has been sued. At least one judge publicly questioned why people of color didn't advance. 

The Facebook post made by the newscaster was a bunch of offhand opinion and guesses. That is not news, it's opinion and guesses. And she was correctly fired because a a news person, some people can't tell the difference, especially if it's coming from someone paid to know the difference.

And questioning if something is racist is not the same as saying a crime had to be committed by a person of race.
(04-08-2016, 05:03 PM)Benton Wrote: And questioning if something is racist is not the same as saying a crime had to be committed by a person of race.

Sure.  The entire construct of the show, to the audience it targets and how it caters to that audience, is another example of institutional racism.

Yeah, I get it.  I think it's ridiculous, but I get it.
--------------------------------------------------------

(04-08-2016, 05:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Two different things.

The WaPo story is pointing out what's already out there — lawsuits, social media comments, allegations by judges — which is not necessarily news, but it is concerning facts. You may not agree with the subject matter but it's stuff that's happened. The show has been sued. At least one judge publicly questioned why people of color didn't advance. 

The Facebook post made by the newscaster was a bunch of offhand opinion and guesses. That is not news, it's opinion and guesses. And she was correctly fired because a a news person, some people can't tell the difference, especially if it's coming from someone paid to know the difference.

And questioning if something is racist is not the same as saying a crime had to be committed by a person of race.

But wasn't the Newscaster also pointing to facts that were already out there  (ie crimes in that neighborhood conducted by the types she suggested one who draw a mental image to?) Just like the piece in the OP she was just comparing past facts to a current happening. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]