Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we bring in Tom Coughlin as a consultant or assistant head coach?
The Bengals sometimes bring in fired coaches as consultants or as assistants with the idea of promoting them in a year or two. Hue Jackson and Coyle come to mind recently, but there have been others in years past.

Should the team reach out to Tom Coughlin about coming in as a consultant or game planner or assistant head coach or any thing really?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
What would Coughlin have to gain by doing something like this? He's got two rings. Why would he want to be an assistant/consultant to someone who doesn't have anywhere near his level of accomplishment in this league?

With all due respect, this is fantasy. The only way Coughlin would come here is as a HC with real power, if he even wants to go down that road again. He's an old man by HC standards in this league and honestly by just about any standard.

On top of that, the reality is that this is a "ride or die" franchise. They will ride or die with Marv this year just like they will ride or die with players like Bodine. Changes, with the exception of injury replacements will not be made til the season is over.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 01:09 AM)samhain Wrote: What would Coughlin have to gain by doing something like this?  He's got two rings.  Why would he want to be an assistant/consultant to someone who doesn't have anywhere near his level of accomplishment in this league?  

With all due respect, this is fantasy.  The only way Coughlin would come here is as a HC with real power, if he even wants to go down that road again.  He's an old man by HC standards in this league and honestly by just about any standard.  

On top of that, the reality is that this is a "ride or die" franchise.  They will ride or die with Marv this year just like they will ride or die with players like Bodine.  Changes, with the exception of injury replacements will not be made til the season is over.

Missing the point. Coughlin could come in a be useful. For a guy without a job that still means something. Well, it means something to people who enjoy success. Gotta think old school.

Plus, don't we play the Giants this year? Wink

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 01:19 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Missing the point. Coughlin could come in a be useful. For a guy without a job that still means something. Well, it means something to people who enjoy success. Gotta think old school.

Plus, don't we play the Giants this year? Wink

I certainly respect his resume, but just don't see him as a fit with Marvin still entrenched as HC.  Coughlin was always a relentless disciplinarian and Marvin is the textbook definition of a player's coach.  Just seems like oil and water to me.  I wouldn't mind see in what Coughlin could do if it was his show to run, though…...
Reply/Quote
No, if only because of his age. He's too old to groom or hand over the keys to in a year or two. So really all you'd be doing is creating a tense situation by the implication that Marvin needs to help. The players, coaches, and other staff aren't stupid. They'd know that bringing in a name like that is more a show of doubt in Marvin than a faith in Coughlin.

Not to mention the fact that I think we him passed over when we hired Marvin. I think he interviewed here, right? Why would he want to come here of all places? With his pedigree, working underneath Marvin would be like Chris Farley being Andy Dick's understudy. Why would you go to a place that passed you over, to work under or for a lesser than?
Reply/Quote
Tom Coughlin (on sideline): "Get your head out of your ass!!! Make the play or I'll find someone who can!!! (Face red, veins bulging)

Marvin: "I don't know how you did things in New York, Tom. But here we clap. C'mon guys! Let's go!!! See. Nice and easy. It's all in the hips, baby. ***giggles profusely***

Tom: ****stunned silence, quizzical look on face****

Marvin: "Hey, don't knock it until you try it. Give it a try. Clap a little, let out a little one for me, just a little giggle. I think I know a thing or two about this. I've been to 5 straight playoffs!"

Tom: ***points to two Super Bowl Rings on each hand*** You've got to be kidding me? I don't think this is going to work out. Tell Mike that he keep the Reach Magazine and Buddy Card he gave me as a bonus. Good luck, coach. I'm done."

Marvin: "Suit yourself. Jim Lippencott is bringing in his famous chili tomorrow. You're really missing out." ***looks up at clock, realize it's almost the 2nd quarter and he's still got a timeout***

Marvin: Timeout!!!! Timeout!!!

Scene.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:36 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Tom Coughlin (on sideline):  "Get your head out of your ass!!!  Make the play or I'll find someone who can!!! (Face red, veins bulging)

Marvin: "I don't know how you did things in New York, Tom.  But here we clap.  C'mon guys! Let's go!!!  See.  Nice and easy.  It's all in the hips, baby.  ***giggles profusely***

Marvin: "Hey, don't knock it until you try it.  Give it a try.  Clap a little, let out a little one for me, just a little giggle.  I think I know a thing or two about this.  I've been to 5 straight playoffs!"

Tom: ***points to two Super Bowl Rings on each hand*** You've got to be kidding me?  I don't think this is going to work out.  Tell Mike that he keep the Reach Magazine and Buddy Card he gave me as a bonus.  Good luck, coach.  I'm done."

Marvin: "Suit yourself.  Jim Lippencott is bringing in his famous chili tomorrow.  You're really missing out."  ***looks up at clock, realize it's almost the 2nd quarter and he's still got a timeout***

Marvin:  Timeout!!!!  Timeout!!!

Scene.

[Image: 200w.gif]

Reply/Quote
I prefer Jim Tressel.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:36 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Tom Coughlin (on sideline):  "Get your head out of your ass!!!  Make the play or I'll find someone who can!!! (Face red, veins bulging)

Marvin: "I don't know how you did things in New York, Tom.  But here we clap.  C'mon guys! Let's go!!!  See.  Nice and easy.  It's all in the hips, baby.  ***giggles profusely***

Marvin: "Hey, don't knock it until you try it.  Give it a try.  Clap a little, let out a little one for me, just a little giggle.  I think I know a thing or two about this.  I've been to 5 straight playoffs!"

Tom: ***points to two Super Bowl Rings on each hand*** You've got to be kidding me?  I don't think this is going to work out.  Tell Mike that he keep the Reach Magazine and Buddy Card he gave me as a bonus.  Good luck, coach.  I'm done."

Marvin: "Suit yourself.  Jim Lippencott is bringing in his famous chili tomorrow.  You're really missing out."  ***looks up at clock, realize it's almost the 2nd quarter and he's still got a timeout***

Marvin:  Timeout!!!!  Timeout!!!

Scene.

Someone needs to light a fire under Marv's ass.

(09-26-2016, 07:38 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I prefer Jim Tressel.

I forgot about him.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 02:26 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: working underneath Marvin would be like Chris Farley being Andy Dick's understudy.  Why would you go to a place that passed you over, to work under or for a lesser than?

Geez, I know Coghlin is old and corpse-like but comparing him to a guy who's been dead for 19 years is a bit harsh.
Reply/Quote