1 5.00%
No
95.00%
19 95.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we go QB with our 2nd Round pick?
Should we take a QB with our 2nd round pick? I know some may say that's stupid, but I believe we should. I know we need a DE and O Lineman, but i don't think any of the DE's coming out arent worth drafting unless its Garrett or Jonathan Allen and they will both go top 5. In the first round i think we still take Reuben Foster even with the signing of Minter. He is the best player available. In the 2nd i would take OT Cam Robinson if he falls that far. We are in desperate need of lineman and he is our best option. If Robinson is not there i would look to the next best player available. I would take QB Pat Mahomes out of Texas Tech. If Mccarron gets traded we will need a backup qb. I think it would be a smart move to let Mccaron go ant draft Mahomes. If Andy isn't the guy then we have a guy who i believe is better to come in and start. If Andy IS the guy, then we have a guy who we can trade for great value. This is exactly what New England did with Mallett, and are now doing with Garrapolo. I would be all for drafting Mahomes in the 2nd if Cam Robinson is not there. Mahomes reminds me of Aaron Rodger. He's a gunslinger.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 07:49 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Should we take a QB with our 2nd round pick? I know some may say that's stupid, but I believe we should. I know we need a DE and O Lineman, but i don't think any of the DE's coming out arent worth drafting unless its Garrett or Jonathan Allen and they will both go top 5. In the first round i think we still take Reuben Foster even with the signing of Minter. He is the best player available. In the 2nd i would take OT Cam Robinson if he falls that far. We are in desperate need of lineman and he is our best option. If Robinson is not there i would look to the next best player available. I would take QB Pat Mahomes out of Texas Tech. If Mccarron gets traded we will need a backup qb. I think it would be a smart move to let Mccaron go ant draft Mahomes. If Andy isn't the guy then we have a guy who i believe is better to come in and start. If Andy IS the guy, then we have a guy who we can trade for great value. This is exactly what New England did with Mallett, and are now doing with Garrapolo. I would be all for drafting Mahomes in the 2nd if Cam Robinson is not there. Mahomes reminds me of Aaron Rodger. He's a gunslinger.

Pat Mahomes will be gone before the 2nd round.

Even then, a lot of people say Mahomes reminds them of Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben. If his game was like that, he'd be going #1 overall.

He's not as smart and doesn't always read defenses. He forces throws and doesn't have the best technique when it comes to throwing motions and footwork. He also leaves pockets early rather than sit and wait. Doesn't go through progression. Doesn't "live for another down".

He's a very good play extender, don't get me wrong. But he makes some REALLY bad decisions and throws as well. He can make throws that QBs in this class can't make. But he also makes throws that other QBs in this class wouldn't take due to it being a bad decision.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 08:09 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Pat Mahomes will be gone before the 2nd round.

Even then, a lot of people say Mahomes reminds them of Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben. If his game was like that, he'd be going #1 overall.

He's not as smart and doesn't always read defenses. He forces throws and doesn't have the best technique when it comes to throwing motions and footwork. He also leaves pockets early rather than sit and wait. Doesn't go through progression. Doesn't "live for another down".

He's a very good play extender, don't get me wrong. But he makes some REALLY bad decisions and throws as well. He can make throws that QBs in this class can't make. But he also makes throws that other QBs in this class wouldn't take due to it being a bad decision.

Wait, stop the bus.  I hope those folks that say that Mahomes reminds them of Rodgers or Roethlisberger do understand that they are two completely styled individuals. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd say yes, only if one of the top guys falls us in the 2nd round. Otherwise, no.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 08:09 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Pat Mahomes will be gone before the 2nd round.

You realize neither of those guys went number 1 either? teams don't always get it right. 

That said, no way I take a QB in the first 3 rounds this year. Not a great qb class and if we have any hope of competing this year we can't waste a valuable pick on a qb
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wait, stop the bus.  I hope those folks that say that Mahomes reminds them of Rodgers or Roethlisberger do understand that they are two completely styled individuals. 

Yes, I've seen it quite a bit.

(03-31-2017, 09:11 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: You realize neither of those guys went number 1 either? teams don't always get it right. 

That said, no way I take a QB in the first 3 rounds this year. Not a great qb class and if we have any hope of competing this year we can't waste a valuable pick on a qb

Correct, but they also weren't the players we expected them to be coming out of college. Rodgers was said to remind scouts of Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 10:12 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, I've seen it quite a bit.

Correct, but they also weren't the players we expected them to be coming out of college. Rodgers was said to remind scouts of Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington.

I understand that you likely have seen that.  My question is why are they comparing a rookie prospect to a couple of NFL greats that have distinctly different playing and body styles?  Are they trying to say that he's a huge body that can shrug off would be sackers, yet nimble enough to sprint out and fire laser shots with just a flick of the wrist?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I understand that you likely have seen that.  My question is why are they comparing a rookie prospect to a couple of NFL greats that have distinctly different playing and body styles?  Are they trying to say that he's a huge body that can shrug off would be sackers, yet nimble enough to sprint out and fire laser shots with just a flick of the wrist?

I've seen a lot of crazy comparisons lol. But I've seen those two linked to Mahomes quite a bit.

I believe they compare him to Rodgers because of the kinds of throws he can make and the cannon he has. Also that he doesn't shy from moving and throwing.

Big Ben mainly because of the body and improvision. Mahomes is good at that. But also like Big Ben, Mahomes will make terrible decisions as well.

Those have mainly been the main comparisons. But there's also been weaknesses and people are looking deep into quite a few things too.

I haven't fully scouted him yet, so I can't give a completed thought. I like what I've seen, but there's also been some really bad things with his tape too. Tremendous upside from what I can tell though.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 07:49 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Should we take a QB with our 2nd round pick? I know some may say that's stupid, but I believe we should. I know we need a DE and O Lineman, but i don't think any of the DE's coming out arent worth drafting unless its Garrett or Jonathan Allen and they will both go top 5. In the first round i think we still take Reuben Foster even with the signing of Minter. He is the best player available. In the 2nd i would take OT Cam Robinson if he falls that far. We are in desperate need of lineman and he is our best option. If Robinson is not there i would look to the next best player available. I would take QB Pat Mahomes out of Texas Tech. If Mccarron gets traded we will need a backup qb. I think it would be a smart move to let Mccaron go ant draft Mahomes. If Andy isn't the guy then we have a guy who i believe is better to come in and start. If Andy IS the guy, then we have a guy who we can trade for great value. This is exactly what New England did with Mallett, and are now doing with Garrapolo. I would be all for drafting Mahomes in the 2nd if Cam Robinson is not there. Mahomes reminds me of Aaron Rodger. He's a gunslinger.

there are multiple des that will be avaliable in the second round that are better that i would take before a qb no.
Reply/Quote
We are going to keep AJM so no need at this point. He has a lot of promise and we really should have acted on those teams who needed a QB desperately. However, we didn't, we won't and he will walk at the end of the season while we end up getting nothing for him. Getting a QB will be a priority next year.
Reply/Quote
all the qbs in this class are 2nd round quality and you want to draft that guy over a round 1 talent at a skill position? 2nd round picks are a premium this year with one of the most talented drafts ive seen in years.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
NE can win SB's without a first or second rounder on offense. Our coaching staff is nowhere near their level. We can't even get first and second round picks on the field. We just don't have the luxury to do things the way they do. This is a very good defensive draft this year and I hope thats the direction they go with 2 of the first 3 picks.
Reply/Quote