Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we sell out to stop the pass?
(12-10-2015, 12:30 PM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: As been mentioned though, before we had Jones and Hall, as well as Dennard as a backup.

Now we have Dre (who flashes and has good to great games sometimes, but is inconsistent), possibly a banged up Hall, and Dennard is out for the year.  We have a lot of inexperienced guys out there.

I am talking more about pulling your safeties back some more, and not letting anyone get behind them.

I would maybe pull a LBer and go extra Safety or CB.  The Pass Rush will be key here, we will have to get to Ben, and MAKE him throw quick, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to throw a 40 yrd pass, no matter how good the pass rush is.  So I think we should keep at least one safety back to make sure that Ben doesn't have that long ball as an option.  If he does get a guy open, then that safety will have to make the play to prevent it from going for a TD.

I know what you meant. My point was that we do that already. We force check downs like crazy. Yeah we gave up some big ones on and off this year but that's gonna happen and it's been rare since burfict came back. And Steeler killer Reggie leads the league in interceptions.

We will be In a lot of nickel. Pacman is out of the cast. Hall is back. Marvin said Shaw will be ok. We all know PAC isn't missing the game unless he can't walk.

We are just better than they are..... No idea why anyone cares because it's the steelers. They have a nice offense but that's it. We all know Ben will throw us 1 or 2 by the 4th quarter. He will press and make mistakes like he always does.
Reply/Quote
I think we need to play a good all around defense, and not try to sell out to stop the pass. I know we've got to put pressure on Ben, but Williams has always been a good back, and he still is.

We've got to have a really good game out of our front four, and keep Ben in the pocket. Ben running around for five or six seconds is deadly for the secondary. He finds open receivers while on the run as well as anybody, and he can cut loose a big throw that kills you. I think the linebackers have to play it straight most of the time, because of the effective running of Williams.

The Steeler defense is not as good as the offense, so we also have to really try to put a lot of points on the board. I know, that's always a good idea, but I think we'll be tempted to try to control the ball with running to keep it away from Ben. That's ok if it's working, but we can't get fanatic about it.

Tough game all the way around, but we're good enough to do it. If you want to be a top team, you've got to play games like this all the time.
Reply/Quote