Poll: Should the Bengals tank at 0-4
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should we tank with Dolphins
(09-27-2019, 05:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you mean we passed on the other 5 versus AJ Green, I guess you are correct. But we would not have Green either.

None of them were available in round 2 when we picked, so we had no choice really.

i like the Dalton pick and AD, but not sure we can give the team the credit when they really has no other real options other Kaep or Dalton in round 2 to start immediately (need).

QB is the most important position. They could have deemed that need  greater than a WR and taken one of the other guys if, in their estimation, he was worth it. 

In this case, they felt they could get Green in 1 and Dalton in 2. From reports i've read and things i've hear here, he was the one QB they were targeting after Newton. 

They could have easily screwed it up, bypassed Green, and taken one of the others. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 06:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Cam's rushing number cannot be ignored

True. And him winning, being the 8th randed passer, i don't think they were. 

Probably would have been an uphill climb for Dalton but it would have been a good story if he had finished that year and finished it strong. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 06:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton was the right choice, but it's hard to give our FO credit for being gutsy because the term "gutsy" indicates a sense of risk or daring.  Mike Brown isn't going to get fired for taking the wrong QB, so nothing about what he does is gutsy.  So I'll admit he was right to take Dalton whether it was his idea of Gruden's, but I won't call it gutsy, per se.

I disagree. If you have no legit, good starting QB and you bypass the other higher rated guys, betting your near future on a guy rated anywhere from 5-8, that's pretty gutsy. 

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 06:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton was the right choice, but it's hard to give our FO credit for being gutsy because the term "gutsy" indicates a sense of risk or daring.  Mike Brown isn't going to get fired for taking the wrong QB, so nothing about what he does is gutsy.  So I'll admit he was right to take Dalton whether it was his idea of Gruden's, but I won't call it gutsy, per se.

I disagree. If you have no legit, good starting QB and you bypass the other higher rated guys, betting your near future on a guy rated anywhere from 5-8, that's pretty gutsy. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well, it is obvious the Miami plan is to put a product on the field the chances of winning are not good. Here is an article detailing the Dolphins plan. Others have tanked as well in other sports and it worked.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27699720/barnwell-dolphins-really-doing-how-tank-win

The question becomes is it a great long term strategy to build a playoff team? I hate losing, I hate worse throwing games. But, that is my emotional side. My strategic side says others have done it to rebuild more rapidly.

If we lose this week and go to 0-4 where our odds to make the playoffs go south, should we start making trades for draft picks in 2020 to needy playoff caliber teams to accumulate picks and to assure ZT starters ain 2019 are not talented enough to iwn games securing a top 3 pick? It goes against my morals, but maybe it is very smart move.

Thoughts?

I would like to point out that Mike Brown tried tanking for an entire decade and it accomplished exactly nothing except to piss off the fans and cause many players to escape with bad feelings.

Reply/Quote
What is tanking, you mean to get the the first couple picks, HBO guarentee they are better than 6th to 8th pick etc, we are talking about top 10 pick in draft either way
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 07:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I disagree. If you have no legit, good starting QB and you bypass the other higher rated guys, betting your near future on a guy rated anywhere from 5-8, that's pretty gutsy. 

It's not gutsy if you can't get fired.  Mike Brown is playing GM with an invincibility cheat enabled. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 11:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not gutsy if you can't get fired.  Mike Brown is playing GM with an invincibility cheat enabled.

I won't dispute that, but have you seen the stadium on game day recently? You can't do stupid things with impugnity. It will catch up to you some day, some way. I don't believe for a minute that Mike Browns doesn't want to win. I just think he believes he knows how to do it, and he believes what the team has done since drafting Dalton/Green is acceptable. He's cited their record in comparison to others several times. 

The easy way out would have been to just take one of the higher rated QBs and go from there. They chose to take Green (an elite type talent) then grab the QB in the 2nd round with the hope that he would pair well with Green and what they wanted to do. 

As an aside, I don't think anyone believes for a second that he gives one shit what the general fanbase thinks of him. He's going to stand fast, do things his way and when the success comes, he's going to talk about staying the course and believing they were doing things the right way. That's how stubborn he is and he knows when he's gone, he will give even less shits about what fans think about him. 

Reply/Quote
We probably won't have to try.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
The stadium is already empty. Nobody will pay $60 to see a loss. Bad idea to tank.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 08:33 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The stadium is already empty. Nobody will pay $60 to see a loss. Bad idea to tank.

[Image: lhagUI.gif]

Reply/Quote
People have already lost interest. If the team decided to tank, I would hope for them to never regain that interest.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 11:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not gutsy if you can't get fired.  Mike Brown is playing GM with an invincibility cheat enabled. 

Okay then, not "gutsy" just "brilliant".

Like that better?
Reply/Quote
I would say no to tanking.

The Bengals are not that far back, have been close in 2 of their 3 games, and the division isn't necessarily setting the world on fire.

The Dolphins have absolutely NO chance. Big difference.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2019, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay then, not "gutsy" just "brilliant".

Like that better?

You people act like Dalton was a 12th round pick or something. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2019, 08:33 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The stadium is already empty. Nobody will pay $60 to see a loss. Bad idea to tank.

Really?

They still pay to watch the Reds who tanked for years.

Bengals? They are losing now?

Fan base feels Bengals are not capable of winning anything as long as MB owns this team, right or wrong.

I don't think we should tank, but if we keep losing, if a team comes to us with an absurd offer in our favor prior to the deadline for one of our high paid players, maybe they should listen.

Fans want championships, not to win 6 to 8 games a year in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Way too early to tank. I will admit though, I am a fan of going with the "youth movement" once you are eliminated from playoff contention. Don't purposely lose, but go out there with the younger players and see what they got to build upon for the next year.
Reply/Quote
i dont think we need to try and tank from a draft pick stand point our season is gonna be right behind miami.
Reply/Quote
Yes, tank, and get rid of Andy. Put in you know who for rest of season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I’ll go ahead and go against the majority here, but I’m now completely on board with tanking the rest of this season. We need the #1OA pick to get our future QB, and picking first in each subsequent round will help get the best players we can at OL and LB. Cleveland didn’t get better by being mediocre and picking 10-20 every year. We have to bottom out. Let Taylor choose his own QB and give him a year or two to prove he’s HC material.

I would bench Andy for the rest of the season and see what we have in Finley. Bench Eifert. He’s done. Get Drew Sample in there and prove he was worth a 2nd rd pick. Pratt should start every game going forward, as should Price. If they suck they suck, but at least we’ll know, and it will help secure our top pick.

Also, Taylor needs to start thinking about who he’s going to replace, Lou, Callahan, Turner, etc with, because if he plans on keeping those guys all is lost anyway.

At least Marvin was good at hiring coaches. Zimmer, Gruden, Guenther, I’d kill to have any of those guys back at this point...

Reply/Quote