Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutdown!
(02-09-2018, 11:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The hypocrisy of Senator Paul, who voted for the tax plan that is expected to increase the deficit in significant ways, also "hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

As I read yesterday:  Paul doesn't hate deficits...he hates spending.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-09-2018, 11:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The hypocrisy of Senator Paul, who voted for the tax plan that is expected to increase the deficit in significant ways, also "hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

Unless he votes for spending that requires borrowing, it's not. He's being consistent on "spend less, tax less". Will it add to the deficit? Sure, given current spending levels which he would then argue he does not support. 

I'm not suggesting it's sound policy, but it is at least consistent. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-09-2018, 11:17 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump took to twitter to blame Democrats for the spending, saying that because there's not enough Republicans, Republicans had to spend money on things they don't want in order to spend more money on the military.

Things they don't want, like disaster relief or infrastructure measures or fighting the opioid crisis?

Weren't these things on Trump's agenda.
(02-09-2018, 11:57 AM)hollodero Wrote: Things they don't want, like disaster relief or infrastructure measures or fighting the opioid crisis?

Weren't these things on Trump's agenda.

it was on trumps, but not on the agenda of#presidentKelly and #vpMiller
People suck

Tax cuts are not deficit spending.
Kudos to both the House and Senate; as they worked in a bi-partisan way to pass a budget. Is it a sound budget? Who knows, but I'm just glad to see it get a healthy number of votes from both sides of the aisle; especially in the House where the minority leader was pushing for all Dems to vote No, simply because of the demographic she serves.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-09-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kudos to both the House and Senate; as they worked in a bi-partisan way to pass a budget. Is it a sound budget? Who knows, but I'm just glad to see it get a healthy number of votes from both sides of the aisle; especially in the House where the minority leader was pushing for all Dems to vote No, simply because of the demographic she serves.

Seems like the Senate is living up to its reputation of being more cordial as they're working together on solutions. Schumer and McConnell can compromise. The House is still a free for all with rogue caucuses on either side. 

I know there's still some bipartisan action in the Senate on a separate immigrant bill. Hopefully they find a way to appease enough people. 

(02-09-2018, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kudos to both the Empire and Sith; as they worked in a bi-partisan way to spend Republic money. Is it a sound budget? Who knows, but I'm just glad to see it get a healthy number of votes from both sides of the aisle; especially in the Empire where the minority leader was pushing for all Empire people to vote No, simply because of the demographic she serves.

Star Wars analogies to break it down in simple terms: two groups governing with little regard for current citizens or long-term benefit of the population is still bad, no matter how much they smile and shake each other's hands while they're doing it.
Rand Paul needs to make it official and just change to Libertarian:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/politics/rand-paul-live-tweets-omnibus/index.html

"Rand Paul is live-tweeting the omnibus spending bill"

(03-22-2018, 08:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Rand Paul needs to make it official and just change to Libertarian:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/politics/rand-paul-live-tweets-omnibus/index.html

"Rand Paul is live-tweeting the omnibus spending bill"

To be a libertarian would require him to be socially liberal, which he is not. His concern for civil liberties ends with government spying and drone use at home. 

He's a fiscal conservative, which is so incredibly rare right now that they're being called "libertarians".  

(03-22-2018, 08:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: To be a libertarian would require him to be socially liberal, which he is not. His concern for civil liberties ends with government spying and drone use at home. 

He's a fiscal conservative, which is so incredibly rare right now that they're being called "libertarians".  

Well libertarians are rather fiscally conservative. Except for libertarians. And then there’s the other libertarians. Not to mention the other libertarians. A true libertarian is someone who tells everyone else why they aren’t really libertarians. (Present company excluded)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-22-2018, 08:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well libertarians are rather fiscally conservative. Except for libertarians. And then there’s the other libertarians. Not to mention the other libertarians. A true libertarian is someone who tells everyone else why they aren’t really libertarians. (Present company excluded)

There's certainly a spectrum. In addition to what you alluded to, you have your pragmatic libertarians who are not "pure" because they know it's not plausible to be "pure" and your theoretical libertarians who will cite you hundreds of years worth of political theory that we have yet to see replicated in the real world.

Rand Paul, however, is just a conservative. He wants less government in the economy and he wants less government in our lives except for areas concerning upholding morality where he is good with the government maintaining certain "values". That's textbook conservatism. Libertarians (big L and little l) saw this when he and pops supported The Cooch in the VA gubernatorial race. Libertarians don't endorse people trying to enforce government bans on blowjobs and butt sex. 

(03-22-2018, 08:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There's certainly a spectrum. In addition to what you alluded to, you have your pragmatic libertarians who are not "pure" because they know it's not plausible to be "pure" and your theoretical libertarians who will cite you hundreds of years worth of political theory that we have yet to see replicated in the real world.

Rand Paul, however, is just a conservative. He wants less government in the economy and he wants less government in our lives except for areas concerning upholding morality where he is good with the government maintaining certain "values". That's textbook conservatism. Libertarians (big L and little l) saw this when he and pops supported The Cooch in the VA gubernatorial race. Libertarians don't endorse people trying to enforce government bans on blowjobs and butt sex. 

I pretty much agree I just like taking shots at libertarians of which I now believe I am pretty much one. Very small “l” and not the least bit committed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-22-2018, 08:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I pretty much agree I just like taking shots at libertarians of which I now believe I am pretty much one. Very small “l” and not the least bit committed.

you'll like this
https://www.facebook.com/Reason.Magazine/videos/10155574680419117/

Reason's libertarian dad jokes 

(03-22-2018, 08:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There's certainly a spectrum. In addition to what you alluded to, you have your pragmatic libertarians who are not "pure" because they know it's not plausible to be "pure" and your theoretical libertarians who will cite you hundreds of years worth of political theory that we have yet to see replicated in the real world.

This is accurate.

A lot of this country believes as Rand Paul. He is just horrible at explaining his positions. Plus his dad didn’t do him any favors. A lot of my liberal friends like Rand even though they hate him on the spending.
My intention was not to start a back and forth as to what I libertarian is. My intent was to show that Paul's stance on the current budget was very libertarian in nature. I should have known better.

(03-22-2018, 11:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My intention was not to start a back and forth as to what I libertarian is. My intent was to show that Paul's stance on the current budget was very libertarian in nature. I should have known better.

We was just funnin’ a bit.

I wish they didn’t do these omnibus bills. It’s just crap
(03-22-2018, 09:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: you'll like this
https://www.facebook.com/Reason.Magazine/videos/10155574680419117/

Reason's libertarian dad jokes 

Pretty funny.
(03-22-2018, 10:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is accurate.

A lot of this country believes as Rand Paul. He is just horrible at explaining his positions. Plus his dad didn’t do him any favors. A lot of my liberal friends like Rand even though they hate him on the spending.

Even I don't disagree with a lot of things that Paul says. I disagree with his policy positions a ton, but when he is grandstanding and, to use your favorite term, virtue signalling, he is usually pretty on point.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR