Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Si -All Bengals argument for Waddle at #5
A guy I havent heard much talk about taking with pick #5, but he is undeniably a big time playmaker. Got on AllBengals this morning and noticed this article. Obviously, Sewell, Chase and Pitts are who most of us want at #5, but I'm seeing more and more mocks saying both Sewell and Chase will be gone. I love the idea of taking Pitts because he is just a beast, but this Waddle kid could add a different element as well.

If the Bengals were to think Waddle would compliment our offense better than Pitts, what would fans think of taking Waddle at #5?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/could-jaylen-waddle-be-a-game-changer-for-the-bengals
Reply/Quote
Well, he certainly has the injury history we like in our 1st round picks...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, he certainly has the injury history we like in our 1st round picks...

He definitely broke his ankle, but did come back to play at a high level after that. Any other injuries? Honestly, I dont know much about him other than he is super fast and can catch well. Seems like he could actually be what we all wished Ross would be. But for me, I'm still more in favor of Pitts if Sewell and Chase are gone. But after losing Erickson, Ross and Green it seems like Waddle would find a role here pretty fast as a WR and PR. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:44 PM)bengaloo Wrote: He definitely broke his ankle, but did come back to play at a high level after that. Any other injuries? Honestly, I dont know much about him other than he is super fast and can catch well. Seems like he could actually be what we all wished Ross would be. But for me, I'm still more in favor of Pitts if Sewell and Chase are gone. But after losing Erickson, Ross and Green it seems like Waddle would find a role here pretty fast as a WR and PR. 

I was just joking. I think that was his only injury.

Reply/Quote
Spoiler Alert***

He has dreads
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Love his speed, quickness and ability to separate. Was considered the better Alabama's receivers before he got injured. Greg Cosell loves him. He would give us the vertical threat we really haven't had - and he would be able to be used in a bunch of different ways at a high level.

I'd be fine with Waddle at 5. I believe it will be between him, Pitts and Slater at 5 for us.
Reply/Quote
downside is late breakout age and limited success along with size/injury. In his only year of being a focus he got hurt. And well, he is on the shorter/smaller side. Can't see the Bengals breaking their norms to take him at 5 after the Ross debacle. I love the upside but it would have to be a trade back and even then we'll likely have higher rated players on the board. Probably go for someone like this later in the draft. The Tyreek Hill ability is always appealing though.
Reply/Quote
Coming off injury, the Dolphins trade...

I don't see Waddle being our pick, it will be Chase pretty damn sure or I hope Pitts.

Thinking we will pass on Sewell now. Deep Draft for OT's that played last season.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Coming off injury, the Dolphins trade...

I don't see Waddle being our pick, it will be Chase pretty damn sure or I hope Pitts.

Thinking we will pass on Sewell now. Deep Draft for OT's that played last season.

I would love to have Chase or Pitts, big time. I wont be sad to have a guy like Waddle, but I agree with the Dolphins trade its more likely we will have the chance to take Chase or Pitts. Sounds like Burrow wants Chase so it may end up being him. Either way, we are primed to get a weapon in the 1st. And I'm starting to think the way you are about Sewell and the draft being deep at OT. Reiff can hold down the RT spot while we develop a young guy. I could see the Bengals getting a big timee weapon for Joe at #5. Unless we trade back. Then I could see Darrisaw or Slater, but it would be really hard to pass either Chase or Pitts.
Reply/Quote
It's too soon. I still have trust issues after the John Ross pick.
Reply/Quote
He’s a guy I think I would be ok with at 5 also.

Watch a full game of him and count the # of times he gets open, or wide open, and he doesn’t get thrown to. It’s a lot, and he has good hands and will block. His speed is the element we don’t have in the receiver room. It would be very hard to cover all 3 of our receivers.

Waddle should get heavy consideration. He would really be impact the receiver Corp.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Coming off injury, the Dolphins trade...

Agree that Chase and Pitts should be available now.  I sure hope so.  Just two bonafide studs.

I think we'll end up taking Sewell though.  Not that he isn't extremely interesting, but there are just more questions about him than the other two.  I just don't see them passing on a guy with that much upside at our position group of greatest need.

BUT if we DO take Sewell I have a really high hope that we take at least one dynamite interior O lineman.  I'm hoping for Dickerson or Meinerz.

Gonna be a really interesting draft.  Hope the Bengals make some really good decisions!
Reply/Quote
No way we should take Waddle over Chase at 5. Maybe if we trade back and Chase is gone, but even in that scenario I would rather take Slater than Waddle. The only way I would take him is if we trade back out of the top 10. What cannot be understated with Chase is his familiarity and chemistry with Burrow is already established. He will be a fantastic WR1. And with Higgins as a WR2, and Boyd tearing up the slot, our WR room will be one of the best in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 02:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: No way we should take Waddle over Chase at 5. Maybe if we trade back and Chase is gone, but even in that scenario I would rather take Slater than Waddle. The only way I would take him is if we trade back out of the top 10. What cannot be understated with Chase is his familiarity and chemistry with Burrow is already established. He will be a fantastic WR1. And with Higgins as a WR2, and Boyd tearing up the slot, our WR room will be one of the best in the NFL.

Yes it can
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Personally if we are taking a receiver at 5 I’d take waddle. He’s Tyreek. Can u imagine that here with mixon burrow Higgins Boyd
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 04:54 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Personally if we are taking a receiver at 5 I’d take waddle.  He’s Tyreek.  Can u imagine that here with mixon burrow Higgins Boyd

You would be doing Jalen Waddle a disservice because like Tyreek Hill he will need to be moved in and out of the slot like 50/50. Tyler Boyd eats up 75 to 80% of the Bengals slot snaps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 04:22 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I would love to have Chase or Pitts, big time. I wont be sad to have a guy like Waddle, but I agree with the Dolphins trade its more likely we will have the chance to take Chase or Pitts. Sounds like Burrow wants Chase so it may end up being him. Either way, we are primed to get a weapon in the 1st. And I'm starting to think the way you are about Sewell and the draft being deep at OT. Reiff can hold down the RT spot while we develop a young guy. I could see the Bengals getting a big timee weapon for Joe at #5. Unless we trade back. Then I could see Darrisaw or Slater, but it would be really hard to pass either Chase or Pitts.

Yeah, I think we stay put and grab the weapon now. Who knows if Eichenberg or Cosmi become better pros than Sewell and 
we most likely can get one of them in the 2nd. Chase/Pitts then Eichenber, Cosmi or an interior O-lineman like Meinerz, Carman
or Creed Humphrey would be an awesome start to the Draft IMO.

Spencer Brown OT should be around in the 3rd or 4th and would be perfect to learn from Reiff for the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 11:11 AM)3wt Wrote: Agree that Chase and Pitts should be available now.  I sure hope so.  Just two bonafide studs.

I think we'll end up taking Sewell though.  Not that he isn't extremely interesting, but there are just more questions about him than the other two.  I just don't see them passing on a guy with that much upside at our position group of greatest need.

BUT if we DO take Sewell I have a really high hope that we take at least one dynamite interior O lineman.  I'm hoping for Dickerson or Meinerz.

Gonna be a really interesting draft.  Hope the Bengals make some really good decisions!

Nice post 3wt. I agree and would be more than fine if the first 2 picks were O-lineman, just seeing the depth at OT and how 
great both Pitts and Chase could be with Burrow might be too much for us to pass up. I keep forgetting about Dickerson, thanks
for bringing him up another stud interior O-lineman I would love to get.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 04:56 PM)Synric Wrote: You would be doing Jalen Waddle a disservice because like Tyreek Hill he will need to be moved in and out of the slot like 50/50. Tyler Boyd eats up 75 to 80% of the Bengals slot snaps.

Completely off topic, but I was looking around on player profile.com at some WR stats and I was shocked to see Justin Jefferson only took 18% of his snaps from the slot. I thought he was there the majority of the season.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 05:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely off topic, but I was looking around on player profile.com at some WR stats and I was shocked to see Justin Jefferson only took 18% of his snaps from the slot. I thought he was there the majority of the season.

Guess lots of us were wrong when we said Jefferson was primarily a Slot WR. Yes, a bit shocking.
Reply/Quote