Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidney jones, db wash
Torn Achilles at his pro day.  He drop, but I don't know far.  4th round comp material or does he still go 2 or 3rd round?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A torn Achilles is a one year recovery. Plus there is an increased risk the other one tears in 2-3 years. How far he will drop in the draft I don't know. All depends on how much a team likes him. I'd guess 4th round or later.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:38 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Torn Achilles at his pro day.  He drop, but I don't know far.  4th round comp material or does he still go 2 or 3rd round?

It's official that it's a torn Achilles?  Damn, that's too bad.  From what I have read this is a very significant injury that usally is negatively impactful on careers.  If this info is to be believed he may not even get drafted.

Quote:because the game involves explosive acceleration and sudden changes in direction.3 Very little is known about the epidemiology of Achilles tendon ruptures in the NFL. Utilizing data publicly available on the Internet, one retrospective review identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players over a five-year period (5.2 injuries/year).3 During the 2008-2009 NFL season, six players suffered season-ending Achilles tendon ruptures. Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.3
Quote:Parekh et al used a player’s power rating as a measure of functional outcome in the evaluation of “skill players” in the NFL, which included defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, wide receivers, and running backs.3 The power rating is a measure of a player’s performance using statistics gathered during game play, such as passing and rushing yards for an offensive player and tackles and interceptions for a defensive player. This study showed that 31 acute Achilles tendon ruptures occurred in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. The average age of a player sustaining a rupture was 29, with an average career before injury spanning six years.Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Sporting news summarizes the above info in more layman's terms

www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-achilles-rupture-tear-steve-smith-arian-foster-cameron-wake-injuries-/1a5bxld2mzwe41x9umf0lq1d6h

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/clg/player

Link here
Reply/Quote
Sidney Jones - DB - Player
Washington CB Sidney Jones suffered a torn Achilles' at his Pro Day.
It's terrible news for a potential top-10 pick. Jones was one of the highest rising corners in the draft after running 4.47 at the Combine. The injury is obviously a major hit to his stock. Jones is now looking at spending all of 2017 on reserve/NFI.
Source: Eric Edholm on Twitter Mar 11 - 4:42 PM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice

Since the link didn't seem to work
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 08:28 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Sidney Jones - DB - Player
Washington CB Sidney Jones suffered a torn Achilles' at his Pro Day.
It's terrible news for a potential top-10 pick. Jones was one of the highest rising corners in the draft after running 4.47 at the Combine. The injury is obviously a major hit to his stock. Jones is now looking at spending all of 2017 on reserve/NFI.
Source: Eric Edholm on Twitter Mar 11 - 4:42 PM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice

Since the link didn't seem to work

Damn.  5th round comp at best I would guess. But i'm no expert.  Wonder if his draft insurance even makes a dent in his lost earnings.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 08:42 PM)Burma Wrote: Damn.  5th round comp at best I would guess. But i'm no expert.  Wonder if his draft insurance even makes a dent in his lost earnings.

With 11 picks I'm ok taking a guy like him or Chad Kelly later as high upside guys that can be safely stashed on ir for the first year cuz heaven forbid we package a couple of picks to move up for a player that could help sooner
Reply/Quote
That's crazy. Saw he injured his leg but didn't know it was torn until now.

He was my #1 CB. I'd draft him in the 3rd or 4th if he's there.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Poor guy. Wouldnt have hurt his much if the CB class wasnt so deep. In a draft you can get what is usually a 2nd round CB in the 3 and 4th how high do you take one that may never play again?
With our 11 picks i would say 5th round is about when need to start thinking about it depending who is left.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:07 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: That's crazy. Saw he injured his leg but didn't know it was torn until now.

He was my #1 CB. I'd draft him in the 3rd or 4th if he's there.

I don't think there's any way you can take him in the third or even our first pick in the 4th.  Our 4th round comp would make sense, depending on who's there.

He spends year 1 on the NFI list, so he's a RFA at the end of his fourth year.  You let Dennard, Shaw, and Jones walk when their contracts are up and roll with Dre, WJIII, and Sidney.
Reply/Quote
Leon Hall tore his Achilles twice.  He came back from those injuries.  I would go as high as 4th for Jones. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If he's the #1 CB in the draft pre-injury (according to some) then I have no problem taking him in the 3rd round. The draft isn't a year fix, its for the future. I have no problem rolling the dice on him that early.
Reply/Quote