Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign Anquan Boldin
Boldin would instantly be the second best WR on the team.

EDIT: They've (Hobson/Bengals) also been talking up Core WAYYYY too much for a rookie 6th round WR. Enough so that it makes me think of Whalen/Binns/Tate/Sanzenbacher/etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2016, 01:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Boldin would instantly be the second best WR on the team.

EDIT: They've (Hobson/Bengals) also been talking up Core WAYYYY too much for a rookie 6th round WR. Enough so that it makes me think of Whalen/Binns/Tate/Sanzenbacher/etc.

that 6th rounder is apparently burning our 1st rounder in camp.

Not sure if that says good things about Core or bad about  WJIII
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 01:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that 6th rounder is apparently burning our 1st rounder in camp.

........or it could just be more Hobspin bullshit.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: ........or it could just be more Hobspin bullshit.

Hopefully it's a bit of both, meaning that Core really is looking great but it's bullshit that he's been burning WJII in camp besides for one or two times and Hobson's just blowing it up.

Like I've said all-along, I think Core was just very overshadowed by Treadwell and we got a hell of a steal.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2016, 01:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that 6th rounder is apparently burning our 1st rounder in camp.

(06-01-2016, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: ........or it could just be more Hobspin bullshit.

Ding ding! Correct answer.

Last time we heard about a WR just destroying every CB in practice and how unstoppable and great they were, it was Armon Binns. Just saying.. there's a chance Core is great, or Will Jack is poor, but it's likely just trying to fluff up the public opinion on the shallow pass catching depth, more so with Eifert getting surgery.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 12:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ding ding! Correct answer.

Last time we heard about a WR just destroying every CB in practice and how unstoppable and great they were, it was Armon Binns. Just saying.. there's a chance Core is great, or Will Jack is poor, but it's likely just trying to fluff up the public opinion on the shallow pass catching depth, more so with Eifert getting surgery.

While i agree it is probably a bunch of Hobspin fluffshit Core has the speed that Binns never had.

I think it was more of fans just hoping Binns would be good. Never really saw anything from him besides a few plays.

WJ3 is damn good, i am not concerned about him. But if Core can beat him a bit it is a good thing for our WR core. Cool

With Core's size and speed he could be great in the Redzone in the future and could beat secondary's deep.

He just needs to really clean up his routes which were really lacking in college.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2016, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd call it ok on Hewitt, but he really took a step back in his blocking last year....he whiffed quite a bit.  Burkhead showed what he is at Indy.....a slightly better Brian Leonard, and that may be a reach.

Burkhead needs to get the ball more.  They send him in mostly as a receiver and throw him maybe a single rep a game (if that) carrying the ball.

The guy is a really good running back with elite lateral movement, good explosion and decent strength.   Nebraska used him on the goal line a lot with good effectiveness.

Hard to get a groove going with a single carry, and hard to properly use him if the other team knows he's on the field to receive.  I think he's underutilized.   If you give him enough carries it sets him up to be really effective because the defense doesn't know what he's out there to do.
Reply/Quote

As much as I want Core to be a beast I've only seen one mention of him beating WJ3
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 03:05 PM)3wt Wrote: Burkhead needs to get the ball more.  They send him in mostly as a receiver and throw him maybe a single rep a game (if that) carrying the ball.

The guy is a really good running back with elite lateral movement, good explosion and decent strength.   Nebraska used him on the goal line a lot with good effectiveness.

Hard to get a groove going with a single carry, and hard to properly use him if the other team knows he's on the field to receive.  I think he's underutilized.   If you give him enough carries it sets him up to be really effective because the defense doesn't know what he's out there to do.

I think he's good....you have to be to be in the NFL, but beating traditionally slower Big 10 players and elite NFL defenders is two different things. He got plenty of looks at Indy, and I didn't see much. Put it this way: if we're relying on Rex for a lot of targets this year, we're in trouble.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 05:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think he's good....you have to be to be in the NFL, but beating traditionally slower Big 10 players and elite NFL defenders is two different things.  He got plenty of looks at Indy, and I didn't see much.  Put it this way:  if we're relying on Rex for a lot of targets this year, we're in trouble.

Yeah, pretty much. He was great in college, but if you're the 3rd (or 4th) best RB on your team in the NFL, you're not so great that you require the gameplan to be built around you. Just how it is.

Reply/Quote
something to think about is Rex is going into his 2nd year of more reps at the slot.. as with other new hybrid type players it can take time to fit into your role and understanding.  It seems his role is slowly expanding and with the lose of Jones and Sanu plus 2nd year of this hybrid role I could see 25 to 35 catches out of him this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2016, 11:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: something to think about is Rex is going into his 2nd year of more reps at the slot.. as with other new hybrid type players it can take time to fit into your role and understanding.  It seems his role is slowly expanding and with the lose of Jones and Sanu plus 2nd year of this hybrid role I could see 25 to 35 catches out of him this year.

Yeah, this could happen, i have liked Burkhead everytime he has got a shot. He is extremely quick with great hands.

Problem for him is Boyd is a 2nd round pick with cadillac smoothness and better hands. Boyd will be our Slot receiver
unless he gets injured. But i do think Rex needs to be used more often than he has been. I hope we keep some of our
unpredictability that Hue did here last season.

Just not so much, it was getting predictably unpredictable last season.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 02:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I've said all-along, I think Core was just very overshadowed by Treadwell and we got a hell of a steal.

Yes, Treadwell overshadowed him SO much that 19 WRs were taken between the two.  What the fudge?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 11:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, Treadwell overshadowed him SO much that 19 WRs were taken between the two.  What the fudge?

Draft position doesn't mean that he will be bad. Antonio Brown was drafted in the 6th and he's arguably the best receiver in the NFL. Not saying that's what Core will do, but to discredit someone because where they were drafted is silly.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 08:19 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Draft position doesn't mean that he will be bad. Antonio Brown was drafted in the 6th and he's arguably the best receiver in the NFL. Not saying that's what Core will do, but to discredit someone because where they were drafted is silly.

A few things.  First, I only pointed out Core's low draft position because someone pointed out that it was due to him being "overshadowed" by a guy who went 170-some picks earlier.  It's like saying Jim Kelly overshadowed Jeff Christensen, or something.

Also, part of me says draft position isn't all that important, but then I see our offense is based around players drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.  So, I'm not assuring anyone that Core is going to be bad, but I'm glad we drafted AJ Green and not Ryan Whalen to be our #1 WR in 2011. Dalton, AJ, Eifert, Hill, Bernard...all high picks. We had WR's who were later-round picks in Jones and Sanu and I don't think Bengals fans could give less of a crap that they're gone!

And yes, the best WR and QB in the game right now were drafted in the 6th round, but that doesn't mean we should trade Dalton and AJ for Mettenberger and (I don't even feel like looking up another late-round WR).
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 08:19 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Draft position doesn't mean that he will be bad. Antonio Brown was drafted in the 6th and he's arguably the best receiver in the NFL. Not saying that's what Core will do, but to discredit someone because where they were drafted is silly.

it really means nothing other that what they viewed your potential vs cost (draft Pick)  and we know how often that pans out.

Plenty of draft picks don't see an active roster and quiet a few UDFAs do.    

Only thing it really affects for teams is they will most likely give a higher investment (draft pick) a little more time or benefit of the doubt in most cases.   but its all based on perceived potential.
Reply/Quote
Draft position means nothing. I wouldn't even care if every year we traded our 1st and 2nd round picks to the Steelers straight-up for their 6th or 7th round ones. What's the difference?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 02:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it really means nothing other that what they viewed your potential vs cost (draft Pick)  and we know how often that pans out.

Plenty of draft picks don't see an active roster and quiet a few UDFAs do.    

Only thing it really affects for teams is they will most likely give a higher investment (draft pick) a little more time or benefit of the doubt in most cases.   but its all based on perceived potential.

Yes, Hunt (2nd round pick) is going into his 4th year and is averaging 0.5 sacks a year. If he were a 6th or 7th round pick I'm sure he'd be long gone by now.

Reply/Quote

Antonio Brown was an exception to the rule.  Just like Tom Brady.

The fact that there are exceptions to the general rule does not change the fact that a late round draft pick is much more likely to suck than a high round draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Antonio Brown was an exception to the rule.  Just like Tom Brady.

The fact that there are exceptions to the general rule does not change the fact that a late round draft pick is much more likely to suck than a high round draft pick.

There are multiple exceptions to the "rule" every year, so I wouldn't call it a rule.
Reply/Quote