Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign Reiff, Draft DeVonta Smith
IF Bengals get this top Tackle in free agency, Sewell comes off board.  Go for Back To Back SEC Heisman Winners who Dominated Championship Game and SEC.  Joe Burrow and add DeVonta Smith.  Many say he is the best player in the draft. He smokes SEC and Ohio State in Championship.  NFL players such as Mahomes tweeting they hope their teams draft him.  He Dominated like Hill does for Chiefs.  If we add this Heisman WR to Boyd and Higgins, Bengals become EXPLOSIVE.   Plus we just lost AJ Green and Ross.

If we get Reiff, forget Sewell....Reiff and Williams at Tackles...and Back To Back SEC Heisman Winners Joe Burrow and DeVonte Smith is how you turn losing Bengals into WINNERS, by drafting THE BEST.  As good as Boyd and Higgns are, DeVonta Smith looks like a Hall Of Fame Player coming into NFL, he is THAT good.  It sure would replace Green and Ross in a BIG way.  Burrow would have many great targets to throw to.  Smith could dominate as much as Chiefs Hill.  Smith tore up SEC and Ohio State and he can not be covered by one man.  Plus he beats teams so many ways, all over the field.

I like sound of Back To Back SEC Heisman Winners who Dominated Championship.   Who Dey  Burrow to Boyd, Higgins, Smith

All Sports was Tweeting about DeVonta in Championship. LeBron James, Mahomes, everybody in sports went wild over The Heisman WR...Why can't WE have him. ...Take Reiff and WE can. ....Back to Back SEC Heisman Stars, sounds Great to me.

Now some boards have WR Smith going before our pick, some have WR Chase going before our pick....So lets say Smith is gone.  LSU  Chase was Burrows big target, they already have pass timing....I like Smith, but Smith and Chase are suppose to go early, and either SEC WR's would help the loss of Green and Ross.  You want more points on the board, Here You Go.  2 SEC Star WR's set to go top of draft, and we can get one.  Either the Bama Heisman star or the LSU star Burrow already has some timing to.  The top of draft is loaded in rare WR talent, and if we get Reiff, we do not need Sewell.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I get some Cordarrelle Patterson/Ty Montgomery/Leviska Shenault sort of vibes from Smith. His frame is rail thin. It's hard to evaluate these guys who get all sorts of manufactured touches and play "offensive weapon." I see more bust potential out of Smith than a lot of prospects including Chase. His acceleration is tantalizing, but I'd be a little leery. 
Reply/Quote
He is on the short list. But I'd rather keep loading up. Could turn that one pick in to many picks.
Reply/Quote
This made me laugh, the consensus now leading closer into the draft is that multiple receivers have more value than smith now, Atleast that I’m seeing. And why do we pass on a talent like Sewell and justify that by taking a 170 lb wr that will get owned by physical corners
Reply/Quote
Chase is the only way to go staying at #5 if picking a WR. Otherwise it's Pitts at TE. They might even be able to drop back a spot or two for him.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 10:11 AM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: This made me laugh, the consensus now leading closer into the draft is that multiple receivers have more value than smith now, Atleast that I’m seeing. And why do we pass on a talent like Sewell and justify that by taking a 170 lb wr that will get owned by physical corners

The size thing is a bit overblown. A reference point is Chad Johnson, who claims that he played between 175-180 and not his listed 192. Smith is listed at 174, so it comes down to how truthful that is. He is going to weigh in at his Pro Day, so we will get an idea then. If he is in the 170-180 range, then I have no concerns. If he comes in lower than 170, then I think there is a case to be made.

You don’t have to be a big, physical receiver to have success in the NFL. Footwork and release technique can get you out of bump coverage. Regarding Sewell, you take him if he is there. Smith or Chase will not be a bad consolation prize, however.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 10:11 AM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: This made me laugh, the consensus now leading closer into the draft is that multiple receivers have more value than smith now, Atleast that I’m seeing. And why do we pass on a talent like Sewell and justify that by taking a 170 lb wr that will get owned by physical corners
Because if he was a Heisman winner in the SEC and kicked Ohio States butts all over the field, the SEC is as close to playing in The NFL as you can get.  ALSO if Bengals sign this star Tackle in Free Agency to go with Williams at Tackle, that is their Tackle money, and don't look for more salary cap into Sewell.  Bengals just lost AJ Green and Ross.  Are you saying 2 lousy WRs are better than having a Hill or Rice.  If you are talking multiple receivers, you just made my case.  With Green and Ross gone, The multiple receivers of Boyd, Higgins and Devonta Smith.  If Smith gone, The multiple receivers of Boyd, Higgins and Chase. Plus in order for Burrow to succeed, he needs multiple receivers as at LSU. Plus, in order for Coach Taylor to succeed, he needs multiple receivers as at Rams. 

Now if Bengals do not sign the free agent Offensive Tackle Reiff, then you throw this out the window and take Sewell. 

But signing Reiff opens up signing a Top 5 Pick WR in the wake of Green and Ross leaving.  In todays NFL, 1 or 2 good WRs doesn't cut it.  You need to have Boyd, Higgins and a Smith or Chase to have more pass catchers than NFL Defenses can cover, drop back, hit the open man like basketball. Move the ball up the field, put points on the board. Todays ticky tacky rules means more high scoring games, but Bengals don't score any points and why in last place. 

I know I'm talking to fans who thought we could field teams of Baby Hawk and the likes of him. Baby Hawk was not very good, no separation ability. Neither were many of the other stiffs Bengals used as 3rd and 4th WR's and kick returners, when a Green was injured, they could not step up in starting. The play-off game vs Indy a good example, our back-ups like Baby Hawk stunk. Adding DeVonta Smith or Chase to Boyd and Higgins gives Bengals Play-Off Team depth at WR.

I'll add that even though Bengals had Isaac Curtis, they went out and drafted 2 WR's at top of the draft, one of them was Collinsworth. Without that move, Bengals do not go to Super Bowl same year in 1981. They became loaded with more WRs than most teams could cover. Ken Anderson becomes MVP in NFL, in great part to the WR's were better.

I do not know where you get your info on DeVonta Smith not being good enough for last place Bengals. I could listen to you, but instead I will listen to SEC, The people that gave him The Heisman, The sports people like Mahomes, LeBron James who Tweeted all night about how this guy Destroyed Ohio State all night long. I like the sound of Back to Back Heisman winners from the SEC, Joe Burrow and Devonte Smith who each Dominated the Championship Games. An LSU Heisman and an Alabama Heisman out of Super Conference SEC. There, I've said it, SEC is THE BEST college conference.

If we do NOT get Reiff though, we are back to taking Sewell, because we must protect our QB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You misspelled Kyle Pitts Cool
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 07:48 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He is on the short list. But I'd rather keep loading up. Could turn that one pick in to many picks.

Is that a Baker Mayfield joke?  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The thing about DeVonta Smith and Jalen Waddle is it would be criminal not to give them at least 50% of his reps from the slot and Tyler Boyd takes 70 to 80% of the slot reps in Cincy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 07:07 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I get some Cordarrelle Patterson/Ty Montgomery/Leviska Shenault sort of vibes from Smith. His frame is rail thin. It's hard to evaluate these guys who get all sorts of manufactured touches and play "offensive weapon." I see more bust potential out of Smith than a lot of prospects including Chase. His acceleration is tantalizing, but I'd be a little leery. 

I am leery as well on Devonta, I like Chase much better honestly.

Smith is just too skinny.

Don't get your comparisons though Bilbo, those guys are all built WR's that can take a hit. Don't know about that with Smith.

Sign Reiff, Draft Sewell and if he isn't there take Pitts or Chase is still my vote.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am leery as well on Devonta, I like Chase much better honestly.

Smith is just too skinny.

Don't get your comparisons though Bilbo, those guys are all built WR's that can take a hit. Don't know about that with Smith.

Sign Reiff, Draft Sewell and if he isn't there take Pitts or Chase is still my vote.

No, if they shell out for Reiff to go with Williams at Tackle, they will not draft and pay top pick Sewell.  I could see a Linebacker at pick 5.   Not a Tight End.  I see Chase or DeVonta Smith, both SEC stars at WR and Smith won The Heisman and Dominates Ohio State in Championship Game. Only on Bengals site is his toughness in question, he was tough enough to Dominate in SEC and win Bilitnikoff Award and Heisman Award and Dominate Championship.  Again, I would love to have back to back Heisman winners out of SEC

If we get Reiff, they will not take and pay Sewell. It will be Reiff and Williams.  I could see a Linebacker, but I could see Chase or DeVonta Smith added to Boyd and Higgins and whoever is open, they can all GO ALL THE WAY.  I can see Ohio State Fans not liking Smith, he kicked our rear ends. He probably kicked Kentucky Wildcat rear ends also. Smith is 6'1" and the most explosive play maker in the draft. If needed, they can always bulk him up a little. He was tough enough to Dominate SEC and Buckeyes.

People on here talking slots on defense and offense like you know playbook. Who says Boyd, Higgins and a DeVonta Smith would line-up in the same place each play. That would be high school football. The idea is to move them around and trick the defense and hit the open man like basketball. Take what the defense gives you, except Boyd, Higgins and a DeVonta Smith in the open could all GO ALL THE WAY. No need to throw into double coverage as we did with Green. The strength to Burrow is he checks down and finds the open man very fast, spreads the ball around, and with defense on their heels, he goes into Hurry Up like boxer going for the knockout not giving defense time to regroup.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:11 AM)kevin Wrote: No, if they shell out for Reiff to go with Williams at Tackle, they will not draft and pay top pick Sewell.  I could see a Linebacker at pick 5.   Not a Tight End.  I see Chase or DeVonte Smith, both SEC stars at WR and Smith won The Heisman and Dominates Ohio State in Championship Game. Only on Bengals site is his toughness in question, he was tough enough to Dominate in SEC and win Bilitnikoff Award and Heisman Award and Dominate Championship.  Again, I would love to have back to back Heisman winners out of SEC

If we get Reiff, they will not take and pay Sewell. It will be Reiff and Williams.  I could see a Linebacker, but I could see Chase or DeVonte Smith added to Boyd and Higgins and whoever is open, they can all GO ALL THE WAY.  I can see Ohio State Fans not liking Smith, he kicked our rear ends. He probably kicked Kentucky Wildcat rear ends also.  Smith is 6'1" and the most explosive play maker in the draft.  If needed, they can always bulk him up a little. He was tough enough to Dominate SEC and Buckeyes.

People on here talking slots on defense and offense like you know playbook.  Who says Boyd, Higgins and a DeVonte Smith would line-up in the same place each play. That would be high school football. The idea is to move them around and trick the defense and hit the open man like basketball. Take what the defense gives you, except Boyd, Higgins and a DeVonte Smith in the open could all GO ALL THE WAY.  No need to throw into double coverage as we did with Green. The strength to Burrow is he checks down and finds the open man very fast, spreads the ball around, and with defense on their heels, he goes into Hurry Up like boxer going for the knockout not giving defense time to regroup.

Why do you keep saying Take and Pay Sewell?  The 5 pick gets the same money no matter what position they are.  The rookie wage scale is set.
Reply/Quote
and so it is done. Reiff is signed. Williams and Reiff at Tackles. Take Sewell off the boards. One of the SEC WR Super Stars is coming at Pick 5, either Chase or DeVonta Smith, to team with Boyd and Higgins. Has to be. Burrow plays best in a New Orleans Saints wide open offense of many receivers and a running game. Bengals have improved the Tackling and Blocking, now to replace Green and Ross with a Top 5 WR SEC Super Star for Burrow....WE ARE GOING TO START WINNING GAMES HERE PEOPLE. Forget the old no points Bengals offense. This is going to be the high scoring Saints type offense. About Time.

Keyshawn Johnson says DeVonta Smith is WR like a Marvin Harrison or Antonio Brown, but like all draft picks he has to go to the right system. A bad QB or Bad offensive coach won't cut it. You have to find ways to get the ball to Smith. He is the best WR in the draft.

Is he tough enough, look at his game film against SEC. The Heisman winner is tough enough and he was no one year wonder. Often the Bengals could use him as a flanker running back. Kick Returner. He is the best athlete on field if Bengals draft him, but you have to use the right system. I think he does fit Coach Taylors system and is just what Coach Taylor and Joe Burrow need. I'll mention end arounds. Boyd, Higgins and of course DeVonta can all do end around runs. That would be hard to defend and help Mixon run game.

Go to the tapes, DeVonta is tough enough, the best player in the draft, Bengals no longer need Sewell, take the best player in the draft in DeVonta Smith. He will be a Super Star in The NFL, let him be a Super Star for Bengals.

To sell tickets, a picture of Burrow and Smith holding their Heismans.

Keyshawn Johnson compares him to Marvin Harrison or Antonio Brown. Go on YouTube and watch his Heisman Season highlights or Championship Game Highlights. You will say, heck yes, make him a Bengal.

DeVonta Smith makes catches nobody can believe. With Green and Ross gone, THIS is the Star you add to Boyd and Higgins and ain't nobody gonna' double team Boyd or Higgins as defenses will if we do not draft him.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don;t want WR at #5 but if we went that way to ignite the offense.. it is Smith that would do that the best for our offensive
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 03:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t want WR at #5 but if  we went that way to ignite the offense.. it is Smith that would do that the best for our offensive

Thank You.  If you want to ignite this offense, it is DeVonta Smith 

we have added DEFENSE and Blocking. We will get even more Defense and Blocking.  

But adding Reiff to Williams makes drafting a 3rd tackle at pick 5 just stupid. 

Thank You.  If you want to ignite this offense, you take DeVonta Smith. 

CBS Sports has been saying Bengals will either draft a blocker for Burrow or DeVaonta Smith for Burrow to throw to, teaming up the 2 Heismans on same field. With the signing of Reiff to have Williams and Reiff at Tackles, it opens it all up to take DeVonta Smith. Those who question his toughness, would you PLEASE go to YouTube and watch his SEC Highlights and his highlights against Ohio State. The last time I saw somebody dominate Ohio State like that was Anthony Munoz in Rose Bowl, and I was always glad we got Munoz, even if he did thump my Buckeyes. Just watch his YouTube Highlights.

Keyshawn Johnson and many others call him the best WR in the draft. Some call him the best athlete in the draft.

If you want to ignite this offense, you take Devonta Smith. Joe Heisman to DeVonta Heisman
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Absolutely nothing about the Reiff singing or Jonah Williams and his inability to consistently get on the field prevents them from taking Sewell at 5. Sewell is a long term answer and a potentially elite one. There are still 2-3 spots on the o-line that need upgraded. They can find a place for him. The only guy I'd consider taking over him is Chase.

In 2 years when Reiff is gone and 34 years old, and Jonah is still our only remotely decent tackle, it would be very painful to have to watch Sewell be an elite OT on some team because we took another skinny wideout in the top 10 that's not built for the NFL and can't make it into the lineup.
Reply/Quote
Devonta Smith is my WR#1 and i can say that without insulting any other player.

WTS, I just don't like us going WR at #5. IDC who we sign in FA, if Sewell is there, he's the pick. If he's gone we should trade back or look hard a Micah Parsons. We only play 2 LBs the majority of the time; it'd be cool if one of them was great
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Devonta Smith is my WR#1 and i can say that without insulting any other player.

WTS, I just don't like us going WR at #5. IDC who we sign in FA, if Sewell is there, he's the pick. If he's gone we should trade back or look hard a Micah Parsons. We only play 5 LBs the majority of the time; it'd be cool if one of them was great

I don't necessarily agree about Smith, but I can get on board with the gist of your premise.  I'm ride or die Sewell if he's there, and I really like Parsons.  The defense has added lots of parts, but it seems to lack a real linchpin.  Parsons could be that guy.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:10 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't necessarily agree about Smith, but I can get on board with the gist of your premise.  I'm ride or die Sewell if he's there, and I really like Parsons.  The defense has added lots of parts, but it seems to lack a real linchpin.  Parsons could be that guy.  

I agree with not taking WR at #5 and yes ro Sewell and would also look at Slater and Parsons probably at this point trading back a few and still get one or the other. 
Reply/Quote