Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signing Kirk, LaFell, TJ, Smith, Minter all Good News
(03-20-2017, 05:02 PM)Shady Wrote: I think they're serious about Fournette and Mixon.  All this talk about believing in Hill is well and good, but they wouldn't be visiting Mixon and calling him to Cincy if they were that sold on Hill. Carolina will likely take Fournette, but if they don't...he won't slip past us. Mixon might be even better, but not at 9, unless they don't want to risk seeing him drafted before them in 2. I doubt Mixon makes it past the second round. 

Plus, Hill is a free agent and Bernard is coming off of a major injury. They definitely take a back in the 1st 3 Rounds.

Fournette or Cook, or a guy like Mixon.

Cook actually fits our offense better...he also has more off-the-field concerns.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All this talk about how the fans should boycott until the Bengals do what they want is ridiculous.  The fans can not even agree among themselves what they want to dio.  so how is the team supposed to make them all happy.

And don't just say "Sign a top free agent from another team" because if the Bengals signed a top free agent who flopped I guarantee not one single hater would say "Yeah, I am back to supporting the Bengals 100% because they signed a top free agent."

You all are a bunch of hypocrites.

Total speculation backed by nothing. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty much this. We went 6-9-1 last year mainly because for 2 reasons: missed kicks and terrible o-line play. So far it looks like we're sticking with Bullock (who was solid numbers-wise, but cost us the Texans game) and the o-line has gotten even worse on paper. It's hard to get excited for an average (albeit young) LB like Minter when I'm still thinking the o-line will be the demise of this team yet again.

Btw, doesn't it seem like we as fans kinda do the same dance every year? 

Phase 1: Get mad because the Bengals never sign any good free agents (and try to keep the same coaches in place)
Phase 2: Force ourselves to get excited over our biggest external signing (Jason Allen, James Harrison, AJ Hawk, Kevin Minter, etc)
Phase 3: Post draft and preseason optimism

Maybe if our fans (particularly season ticket holders) didn't get re-impressed after every nearly identical offseason, the Bengals would think about tweaking their approach?

Doubtful, but worth considering.

I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment.  I had season tickets for 12 years and after a particular 4 win season, I figured with 4 seats, gas, parking and food it cost me about $742.00 per win.  I gave up my seats after that.  I have been a fan since their inception and I have an easier time supporting them when I realize that certain things will never change until their is a change in ownership.  I just try to enjoy each win and not let losses ruin my day.
Reply/Quote
I am happy the front office didn't over pay Whit and big Z.  I know some fans wanted those two players to be in Bengals stripes but not for those contracts.  I think Kirk signing is necessary given the questions regarding Adam Jones.  

Minter is good signing because of Burfict's injury history.  I would not rule out the team drafting a linebacker in the first 3 rounds.  Smith at RG is yet to be seen but with he and fisher, it may work. 

Now, the team needs to land several "Hits" in the draft.  Maybe Taco or another DE, speed WR, but most importantly, a new Center.  I still see a need for OT and RB.  If the team lands these pieces in the draft, the team will be competitive.  The core players are defense are there.  I don't know if the core players are there on the offensive side.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I do like those signings

But I have a feeling this thread was coming no matter who we ended up keeping.

Gotta stay positive sometimes
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 05:02 PM)Shady Wrote: I think they're serious about Fournette and Mixon.  All this talk about believing in Hill is well and good, but they wouldn't be visiting Mixon and calling him to Cincy if they were that sold on Hill. Carolina will likely take Fournette, but if they don't...he won't slip past us. Mixon might be even better, but not at 9, unless they don't want to risk seeing him drafted before them in 2. I doubt Mixon makes it past the second round. 

(03-20-2017, 05:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, Hill is a free agent and Bernard is coming off of a major injury. They definitely take a back in the 1st 3 Rounds.

Fournette or Cook, or a guy like Mixon.

Cook actually fits our offense better...he also has more off-the-field concerns.

Not that I'm pimping him, but he has been mentioned more than once, & linked to us. They were at his Pro Day as well. 

Corey Clement seems to be on their radar. I wouldn't mind adding him in the mid-later rounds.

As for OP, Minter, LaFell, Dre K are solid. The state of the oline remains to be seen. Let's not jump for joy, but oatmeal is better than no-meal.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 11:01 AM)Jpoore Wrote: dont forget that is a 10-6 record if it isnt for nugent/bullock.

yeah and IF the bear hadn't stopped to take a shit, he would have caught the rabbit!

Reply/Quote

(03-20-2017, 05:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: LSU running back will not be there by pick 9. Bengals would have to move up. Doubt that happens.

Fournette is the same type of guy as Hill, he is a power runner that needs a strong blocking O-line to make room for him to get to full speed and just run people over. The way the Bengals offense is currently set up, Fournette is not a good fit here.

Mixon however does fit into things. I don't like his character issues one bit, but read the write up on him here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/joe-mixon?id=2557976

NFL comparison: Le'Veon Bell

That is the type of back this team needs, a guy who creates and makes people miss while being able to catch passes out of the backfield. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The Bengals can compete with anyone in the AFC not named Pats and Stools

and the freaking Texans.

Reply/Quote
If we just could have kept Whitworth, I would be pretty ecstatic about this off season so far.

But, alas, we must get over that eventually. It's been less of a catastrophe than it initially looked like it was going to be.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fournette is the same type of guy as Hill, he is a power runner that needs a strong blocking O-line to make room for him to get to full speed and just run people over. The way the Bengals offense is currently set up, Fournette is not a good fit here.

Mixon however does fit into things. I don't like his character issues one bit, but read the write up on him here:

That is the type of back this team needs, a guy who creates and makes people miss while being able to catch passes out of the backfield. 

Cook was the best player in college at making people miss too.

Fournette is much better than Hill physically. Faster, stronger, etc. But the basic comparison is apt.

I don't know what happened to Hill. He doesn't hit the holes hard anymore. He has regressed since his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 10:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know what happened to Hill. He doesn't hit the holes hard anymore. He has regressed since his rookie year.

His big head is throwing his center of balance off.....
Reply/Quote
The Bengals move up? LOL.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:49 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Bengals can compete with anyone in the AFC not named Pats and Stools

and the freaking Texans.

Or the Bronco's, any team with a winning record in all honesty.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fournette is the same type of guy as Hill, he is a power runner that needs a strong blocking O-line to make room for him to get to full speed and just run people over. The way the Bengals offense is currently set up, Fournette is not a good fit here.

No, Fournette is better than Hill in every way, the only similarity is their jersey and they are big backs.

Fournette is way faster, has much better burst, vision and ran behind a poor O-line at LSU unlike Hill did there when it was strong.

The problem with Fournette is he is a gap scheme runner and sees blocks from the inside out only right now.

Would rather have Cook at 9 or Mixon or McCafferey in the 2nd but Fournette is a fine RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 10:05 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cook was the best player in college at making people miss too.

Fournette is much better than Hill physically. Faster, stronger, etc. But the basic comparison is apt.

I don't know what happened to Hill. He doesn't hit the holes hard anymore. He has regressed since his rookie year.

(03-21-2017, 12:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No, Fournette is better than Hill in every way, the only similarity is their jersey and they are big backs.

Fournette is way faster, has much better burst, vision and ran behind a poor O-line at LSU unlike Hill did there when it was strong.

The problem with Fournette is he is a gap scheme runner and sees blocks from the inside out only right now.

Would rather have Cook at 9 or Mixon or McCafferey in the 2nd but Fournette is a fine RB.

I agree with both of you that Fournette is a better back than Hill, and is projected to be drafted much higher I just hope it's not by Cincinnati. My comparison was for the style of runner that they both are, the downhill more power back type of runner. We don't have an offense or an offensive line that plays into that style of running at all right now...especially on the offensive line side of things.

As for what happened to Hill, I think the issue is pretty simple, the line play and the fumbles have gotten to him mentally. It's not the talent that is gone, but the confidence. He's so focused on not fumbling that he's not running aggressively. Add in, that he's getting met in the backfield or there is just no clear hole for him to run at and he's lost. Burkhead came in confident with nothing to lose and just ran and made guys miss, that is the type of back this team is going to need right now to be successful. Be it Cook or Mixon, gotta get a guy that has that Barry Sanders like ability to make people miss as soon as you get the handoff. Fournette (like Hill) is much better when they get a few steps going, have momentum and their power to burst through.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: It's going to take more than adding a lb to a 6-9-1 team to get me applauding the front office.

My word, AJ Green, Eifert, Bernard and Hill were injured most of the year.  Stop an think if we have a healthy Aj Green, Eifert, Hill and Bernard.   I know fans say injuries are part of the game, but losing Green and Eifert was huge plus Bernard injured and so Hill tried to play injured but kept getting knocked out of games.  Some better luck on injuries helps to turn that 6-9-1 into more wins.  THAT AND A KICKER THAT DOESN'T LOSE GAMES MISSING EXTRA POINTS.....Pro Bowl Dalton to Pro Bowl AJ Green and Pro Bowl Eifert and also LaFell and Boyd and Core.  Hill healthy scoring touchdowns.  This team could lead the NFL in points scored. Plus we still have the draft and Bengals want the LSU running back if he is there when they pick.  Bengals player director which is as close to a GM as we will get, says he wants the LSU RB. .......There is more going on here than adding a LB.  We did need a LB.  Getting this LB and getting Smith back on O Line makes drafting the LSU RB very possible. The hope is he comes on big like Elliot did for Dallas.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't rebuilding. They are just stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

The Minter signing is fine. But that doesnt do anything to help our offensive line. Our offensive line was by far the worst part of our team last year. It is the main reason why our offense sucked.

They have done nothing to improve it from last year and everything to make it worse. Thats why im down on this team from a year ago. The worst and most important parts of this team got even worse. I just cant sit here and confidently say we will be better this year than last.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Re-signing LaFell was a great move that does not get anough love around here

Meanwhile the move to bring back Smith gets too much love.

I agree with this 100%. Lafell was really good last year. People dont realize it. 

He had a better year last year than Marvin Jones had the previous year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals aren't rebuilding. They are just stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

The Minter signing is fine. But that doesnt do anything to help our offensive line. Our offensive line was by far the worst part of our team last year. It is the main reason why our offense sucked.

They have done nothing to improve it from last year and everything to make it worse. Thats why im down on this team from a year ago. The worst and most important parts of this team got even worse. I just cant sit here and confidently say we will be better this year than last.

Zeitler is NOT the best guard in NFL history. If the Clowns want to pay him as the highest paid guard ever in NFL history, Mike Brown says that is their mistake.  I agree with not paying him as the best guard ever. 

Whitworth got a huge contract from LA Rams.  Bengals wanted Whitworth and Zeitler but not at the salary cap busting prices.  

So far we have Ced and Fisher and Winston and Andre Smith as tackles.  Bolling and TJ and Andre Smith as gurads.  Bodine and TJ as center.  I look for a top O Lineman in round 2 or 3 early, or maybe even round 1 if the LSU RB is off the board. 

I think many of you are going to be EXCITED after the draft.  Of course they have their work cut out for them at O Line.  Bringing back Smith gives us 3 of the 5 that were on that team that started 8-0 in 2015.  Don't be surprised if a guard as good as the year DeMarco and Zeitler in the draft is added. Fans may soon be saying Zeitler Who ?  Of course Ced and Fisher were drafted because of Whitworth getting older.  Yes, getting the O Line together is HUGE, but it can be done. 

The rest of the team is not in rebuilding mode. Our QBs to pass catchers are solid as opposed to after last off season.  Atkins and Dunlap still monsters on D Line.  We have a good secondary.  They are trying to improve LB.  They may draft RB.  Nugent will be replaced.  THis team with all these veteran players is not in complete rebuilding mode and you can bet Dalton, Green, Eifert, Atkins, Dunlap and others are thinking play-offs and Super Bowl, as veteran top players should. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote