Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs that Next Year will see more talent depart
I wouldn't hate OJ Howard if they can trade back a few and still get him. Same with Taco Charleton.

Hobson's reasoning behind taking Howard is very sound:
1. Overall prospect rating comparatively in the draft
2. Immediate chance to make an impact.
3. Deep draft to grab other spots down the road.

I can't argue with his reasoning in the article.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd much rather go DE or LB in the first, and grab Hikutini in the 3rd or 4th rd for a TE....

Go Cards !

Would love to see Hikutini in Bengals stripes. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Also, now believe MB is back in charge of the early draft picks instead of the coaches.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I saw an article yesterday that they were at Virginia Tech to look at a tight end and have more visits scheduled. As soon as I saw that, I thought "bye bye Eifert". The problem is that Eifert is amazing when he is not hurt, but he is hurt so often... so in theory I don't have a problem taking a tight end, but would much prefer not to do it early when there are so many other needs to fill. This team is beyond the point of drafting in the first round for the future, they need guys who can contribute now.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see more two and even three tight end sets in order to:
-help run the ball
-create coverage mismatches against linebackers
-help our tackles block as needed
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 01:23 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hobspin posts a second mock draft http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-9-features-sound-prospects/e5532e73-7e64-4dbc-8313-2ad3a5204bdf and in this one Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE O.J. Howard with the #9 pick.

What's most interesting is that in the previous mock Hobspin had the Bengals taking DE Derek Barnett, considered one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

In this new mock draft Barnett is still available at 9 but Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE instead.

So, my question is, what does this say about the Bengals intentions on keeping Eifert?

Draft this year to replace the star they're going to say goodbye to next year. While I have no problem with the Bengals drafting with the idea of replacing players, but lately their replacement picks haven't been nearly as good as the guys they are slated to replace. This is the first mock I've seen where OJ Howard is a top ten pick and, in fact, one can find a number of mocks with Howard going in the bottom third of the 1st round.

This is not drafting the BPA in the early rounds, but is drafting by position more to gain leverage in negotiations than for talent. The odd part is that it really doesn't give the team much leverage because other teams are going to pay the value they perceive the player is worth and the Bengals are simply removing themselves from the talks. They could have signed Zeitler last year to $9M per year and had him for the next 5 years at that price. Instead they low balled him last year and when he said no they drafted Westerman and didn't bother to offer Zeitler a deal this year.

We'll also be drafting a RB this year, so say goodbye to Hill.

Of course, we'll extend Bodine at a below market price. Just wait and see.

The result is an organization that is circling the drain.
Can you tell me the last time a writer like Hobson picked accurately our 1st round pick? Why do you call him "Hobspin", but then act like you respect him?

His pick tells me nothing as MB is the most close lipped owner in football so he has no idea really of our choice.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Can you tell me the last time a writer like Hobson picked accurately our 1st round pick? Why do you call him "Hobspin", but then act like you respect him?

His pick tells me nothing as MB is the most close lipped owner in football so he has no idea really of our choice.

I believe it was when we picked Eifert, but I'm going off memory.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Can you tell me the last time a writer like Hobson picked accurately our 1st round pick? Why do you call him "Hobspin", but then act like you respect him?

He's called "Hobspin" because he prints whatever the Bengals tell him to. He spins the facts with the Bengals views on them. And while his draft picking prowess may be lacking, his information on the teams plans and views are usually spot on since those views are fed to him directly by the team. Mike Brown may be closed lipped, but someone in the front office is telling Hobson what they are going to do. You don't have to like the man or even respect him, but you do need to respect that he is one of the few people "in the know" to some degree on the closed door thoughts at the front office.  How do you not know this? It's not a secret.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I believe it was when we picked Eifert, but I'm going off memory.

That was Lap.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:45 PM)Burma Wrote: That was Lap.

Literally just wait for whoever Lap predicts and as long as that player is on the board, we will most definitely draft them
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:47 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Literally just wait for whoever Lap predicts and as long as that player is on the board, we will most definitely draft them

I agree, Lapham seems to be the one wired to facts, not Hobson.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:45 PM)Burma Wrote: That was Lap.

Ah, yes that was who picked him.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:44 PM)Burma Wrote: He's called "Hobspin" because he prints whatever the Bengals tell him to. He spins the facts with the Bengals views on them. And while his draft picking prowess may be lacking, his information on the teams plans and views are usually spot on since those views are fed to him directly by the team. Mike Brown may be closed lipped, but someone in the front office is telling Hopson what they are going to do. You don't have to like the man or even respect him, but you do need to respect that he is one of the few people "in the know" to some degree on the closed door thoughts at the front office.  How do you not know this? It's not a secret.

Yes, I am aware many try and label Hobson this way, but I am not one of them. 

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 03:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes, I am aware many try and label Hobson this way, but I am not one of them. 

Ok, that's nice.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 09:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We have to fix our OL first. This should be top priority. Yet since they are convinced there's nothing wrong with it, anything can happen.

How does last season's Oline fiasco coupled with losing the two best players NOT command Mikey, Duke and Marvin's full attention? IMO, you can assemble all of the historical RB/TE greats behind this line, and watch failure dominate the day. Helluva way to run a railroad .....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 06:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Distractionary tactics.  There are going to be some team, perhaps the Colts or Eagles, that Howard is a perfect fit for their pick.  I don't see the Bengals selecting him, although he is the best TE prospect I have seen, perhaps ever.  

Our offense doesn't use the TE in multiple sets and he would not get the utilization he would here.  Baltimore is another likely landing spot for him. 

I think the Bengals are playing a little "we want him, what is he worth to you".  I hope it works.  

Hobspin's job is that of the Bengals' propaganda merchant. Blowing smoke, etc. Shocked
Reply/Quote
If your Mike Brown do you pay often injured Eifert top 3 money at his position? If not then it's obvious. They played aweful without him. So you take a TE that might even be better than him and the best in 10+ years and pay him the rookie salary for the next 4-5 years. There is no guarantee that Eifert even wants to stay. The past 2 years makes me think he won't.

Now if that's Mike Browns mindset what about Burfict? Is he a top 5 LB? Is he reliable? Would you pay him top dollar at his position? Or just draft Foster.

Brown is always looking ahead to save a buck. Like it or not. I would be ok with OJ only if we found someone to trade back with. I would also be fine with Foster or even RB since 2 yard Hill (thanks to whoever posted that nickname) will be a FA next year. I think DE is our biggest need other than C but the team thinks Bodine is fine. They might be just as fine with M.Johnson as well. So the question is..Will Brown ignore need to save a buck. History says he will.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 02:42 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I saw an article yesterday that they were at Virginia Tech to look at a tight end and have more visits scheduled.  As soon as I saw that, I thought "bye bye Eifert".  The problem is that Eifert is amazing when he is not hurt, but he is hurt so often... so in theory I don't have a problem taking a tight end, but would much prefer not to do it early when there are so many other needs to fill.  This team is beyond the point of drafting in the first round for the future, they need guys who can contribute now.

I'd like to keep Eifert and have a good insurance plan for when he's hurt. Just look at the TE's the Pats have been keeping behind Gronk.

Martellus Bennett (a 29 year old coming off a Pro Bowl year) last year, and now they just traded for Dwayne Allen, a 27 year old who averaged 407 yards and 5 TDs as a part timer with the Colts.

They recognize that while their TE is a huge part of the offense, he has trouble staying healthy. So they got smart and keep a good backup.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Havent we been told that the money saved this season is going to TEz and Eifert tho?

If we lose either of those to a money issue its gonna be real hard for this FO to keep the fans from revolting.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2017, 04:20 PM)Housh Wrote: Havent we been told that the money saved this season is going to TEz and Eifert tho?

If we lose either of those to a money issue its gonna be real hard for this FO to keep the fans from revolting.

I'm taking the re-signing of Tez on a "see it to believe it" basis.  The Bengals don't value 4-3 LB enough to draft them in the 1st, yet they expect us to believe they are going to re-sign Tez to a contract that reflects his level of play?  He's one of the top 5 LBs in the NFL.  Right now he is 47th in average salaty at @ $4.7 mill per year. To pay him like a top 5 LB the Bengals are going to be looking at something like 5 year/$80 mill.  $16 mill per year. Dalton makes $16 mill per, and AJ is only at $15.  I find it incredibly hard to believe they are going to pay Tez what his play says he is worth.  But at least it makes for good quotes when they say re-signing him is a top priority and it's why they need to roll over so much cap cash.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/linebacker/

Reply/Quote