Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sikh actor: Aeromexico kicked me off flight
http://www.wtae.com/money/travel/sikh-actor-aeromexico-kicked-me-off-flight-for-my-turban/37890394?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_content=shub2014&utm_campaign=WTAE-TV%20Pittsburgh&Content%20Type=Story

Quote:Waris Ahluwalia's trip to Mexico started out as a thrilling visit to a contemporary art show.

But the Indian American actor, model and designer said he got stuck in Mexico City's airport because the country's largest airline wouldn't let him board a flight home.

Ahluwalia, who is Sikh, said Aeromexico staff and security screeners told him Monday to buy a ticket on a different airline after he refused to remove the turban he wears as part of his faith.

"I was upset, I had anxiety, I was shaking, I did not speak," Ahluwalia told CNN. "And then I realized, clearly, they have not been trained properly. I knew yelling will not do anything. It is about education and the policy."

And so, days after he posted about fresh papayas and famed artist Frida Kahlo, Ahluwalia started sharing photos about his security screening.

Ahluwalia -- whose acting career has included roles in "The Grand Budapest Hotel," "The Darjeeling Limited" and "Inside Man" -- drew attention to his plight on social media, posting a photo of what he said was his canceled plane ticket.

In another post, the jewelry designer behind House of Waris said he might be late for New York Fashion Week because of the airline's decision.

"Don't start the show without me," he wrote.

Airline offers Ahluwalia an apology

Aeromexico offered an apology Tuesday, saying it "recognizes and is proud of the diversity of its passengers."

"We apologize to Mr. Waris Ahluwalia for the bad experience he went through with one of our security personnel," Aeromexico said in a statement.

The airline said it works to maintain strong security measures while respecting its passengers' cultures and beliefs.

The actor couldn't be immediately reached for comment on the apology.

Earlier, he had said wouldn't board a plane back to New York until the airline made a public apology and assurances that airport security personnel would receive Sikh awareness training and better instruction on how to screen passengers with religious headgear.

Sikh men have worn turbans since 1699 when the last living guru bestowed a unique Sikh identity based on five articles of faith. Among them were a steel bracelet signifying a reality with no beginning or end, a sword representing resolve and justice, and unshorn hair as a gift of God and a declaration of humility.

Some Sikh men don't wear turbans and beards; others say they stopped after being mistaken for Muslims and being targeted after 9/11.

Those who wear turbans shouldn't face discrimination, Ahluwalia said. Travelers should be taken into a private area if they're asked to remove their turban, he said, as U.S. Transportation Security Administration policy indicates.

Fashion world reacts

Ahluwalia, who didn't have any scheduled appearances on the runway this week, has become a well-known fixture in the fashion world -- in his home of New York and beyond.

His situation drew swift condemnation on social media and from the head of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.

Steven Kolb described Ahluwalia's treatment as "outrageous" and called him "overall the nicest guy in our industry."

"He is a front-row fixture of Fashion Week, and not to have him here is unfair to him on so many levels," Kolb said. "We support him in his decision for wanting to make this a teachable moment, and I have a lot of respect for him."

'We have to be vigilant'

Ahluwalia said he has had brushes with bigotry before. In 2013, a Gap holiday ad with him drew widespread attention after someone defaced it in a New York subway station.

"Make Love" was crossed out to read "Make Bombs." Beneath that, someone scrawled, "Please stop driving TAXIS."

The company was quick to replace the ad and double down on its campaign, making the photo its background image on Twitter and Facebook and releasing a statement saying Gap "is a brand that celebrates inclusion and diversity."

That "was a great example for corporate responsibility," Ahluwalia said, "but this is the exact opposite of that.

"I didn't ask to be a public face or voice of a religion. Sikhs have been in (the United States) for over 125 years," he said. "I just want to make and create art."

But Ahluwalia said he knew he needed to take a stand.

"I'm not sitting here angry at Aeromexico. Everyone makes mistakes. I've made mistakes," he said. "But what makes us different is how we collect and respond and react to the mistakes we make. They did not know. I cannot blame them for that, but ignorance and fear is the flag humans carry, and we have to be vigilant to fight that."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I do not know any personally, but I've heard Sikhs are honorable and pretty straight up cats.
(02-11-2016, 12:30 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I do not know any personally,  but I've heard Sikhs are honorable and pretty straight up cats.

Maybe....but they are brown and wear funny hats!  Some even have beards!!!!

How can we NOT be suspicious?!?!?!
(02-11-2016, 09:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe....but they are brown and wear funny hats!  Some even have beards!!!!

[Image: garbo-turban.png]
(02-11-2016, 09:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe....but they are brown and wear funny hats!  Some even have beards!!!!

We? Sounds like some other brown people from another country did this.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-11-2016, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: We? Sounds like some other brown people from another country did this.

Yes...this time.

Right after they sent a bunch of rapist across the border!!!!
(02-11-2016, 10:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: [Image: garbo-turban.png]

Better frisk her!!!

For bombs...of course.   Mellow
(02-11-2016, 11:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Better frisk her!!!

For bombs...of course.   Mellow

Darn...you missed it.
It's Greta Garbo and I was giving you the opportunity to run with the fact that she was an immigrant. 

Am I now labeled a hater of brown people, due to my concern over the European immigration crisis ?
(02-11-2016, 11:18 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Darn...you missed it.
It's Greta Garbo and I was giving you the opportunity to run with the fact that she was an immigrant. 

Am I now labeled a hater of brown people, due to my concern over the European immigration crisis ?

Immigrant or not I'd have frisked her...often.   Cool

Concern is not a problem...over reaction and obsession is a problem.
Sometimes you guys really confuse the eff out of me.
I thought the goal was equal treatment for everyone, not special treatment for a few.

I bet if a Christian asked for a special prayer room in an airport you guys would be all over that shit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-11-2016, 09:56 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sometimes you guys really confuse the eff out of me.
I thought the goal was equal treatment for everyone, not special treatment for a few.

I bet if a Christian asked for a special prayer room in an airport you guys would be all over that shit.

In their eyes ....
Muslim or atheist = Good.
Christian or Jew = Bad
(02-10-2016, 09:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.wtae.com/money/travel/sikh-actor-aeromexico-kicked-me-off-flight-for-my-turban/37890394?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_content=shub2014&utm_campaign=WTAE-TV%20Pittsburgh&Content%20Type=Story

Awww.. poor guy.

Yawn. I'm  outraged.

(02-11-2016, 09:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: In their eyes ....
Muslim or atheist = Good.
Christian or Jew = Bad

Aeromexico made a mistake and apologized. The good Indian Sikh accepted the apology and understood that mistakes are made....literally nothing to see here....but that's not good enough for obsessed lefties like Dino who see this story as another opportunity to come to the defense of muslims by trying to sell this idea that we are just as bad. 

In this case however the terrible "offenders" were brown people too. Dino is saved by the fact that most Mexicans are Christians...Catholic their denomination.

Meanwhile another woman is raped in somewhere in Europe by a sex starved Muslim. Nothing to see here...women get raped all the time.
(02-11-2016, 10:51 PM)Vlad Wrote: Meanwhile another woman is raped in somewhere in Europe by a sex starved Muslim. Nothing to see here...women get raped all the time.

Damn whores and their perfume.
Ninja
(02-11-2016, 10:51 PM)Vlad Wrote: Aeromexico made a mistake and apologized. The good Indian Sikh accepted the apology and understood that mistakes are made....literally nothing to see here....but that's not good enough for obsessed lefties like Dino who see this story as another opportunity to come to the defense of muslims by trying to sell this idea that we are just as bad. 

In this case however the terrible "offenders" were brown people too. Dino is saved by the fact that most Mexicans are Christians...Catholic their denomination.

Meanwhile another woman is raped in somewhere in Europe by a sex starved Muslim. Nothing to see here...women get raped all the time.

Tell you what, do you want us to post a non-Muslim act after every post you make about a Muslim one?

Because it is OBVIOUS you care a great deal about these attacks and it must be because of the victims and not the religion of the attacker...right?
(02-11-2016, 11:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Tell you what, do you want us to post a non-Muslim act after every post you make about a Muslim one?

Because it is OBVIOUS you care a great deal about these attacks and it must be because of the victims and not the religion of the attacker...right?

You already attempt to do that..... The problem is the Muslims are raping away in Europe at record numbers..... Women, children .... They don't care as long as they are getting their rape on.....

Peace be to Allah as we rape this European .
(02-11-2016, 11:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You already attempt to do that.....     The problem is the Muslims are raping away in Europe at record numbers..... Women, children ....  They don't care as long as they are getting their rape on.....

(02-11-2016, 11:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You already attempt to do that.....     The problem is the Muslims are raping away in Europe at record numbers..... Women, children ....  They don't care as long as they are getting their rape on.....

Actually, I do not.  It is a waste of time because you will ignore, dismiss any crime other than those committed by the savages.

You'd think you would be for these attacks so western people could learn how to stand up for themselves.  The savages are just bullying people after all.
(02-11-2016, 11:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Actually, I do not.  It is a waste of time because you will ignore, dismiss any crime other than those committed by the savages.

You'd think you would be for these attacks so western people could learn how to stand up for themselves.  The savages are just bullying people after all.

You just post when actual white US citizens rape someone.  The only problem is that they are actual born citizens .  Not refugees begging to be admitted....   If you are a stranger to the country and you want to be let in ..... You are usually on your best behavior until at least they allow you in legally.    These guys are in the waiting station portion of their immigration and they still break laws and rape away.      Find me where green card holders or even temporary visa holders who are coming here to immigrate.... Are raping women or children.    You find those and I will join you in the same disgust I show for these animals.    The blatant law breakers who have their hands out begging for refugee status.

The reason you don't post those stories is because they are central amercians coming here to do the raping. And since they are brown that doesn't fit your narrative ..... Except for calling anyone who agrees we shouldn't have these degenerates here a racist. We shouldn't have them here nor should the European have to endure that either.

Yeah, isn't Sweden now the rape capital of Europe now?  Then when the names were released, the top names were all Arabic?