Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver linings and orange colored glasses
Burrow had a problem holding on to the ball too long last year. Now that he is concerned about his knee he may get rid of it quicker.
Reply/Quote
I legit think it's a good thing that we as fans are starting to realize and admit that Burrow isn't a machine programmed to win and isn't immune to setbacks or mental distress.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow had a problem holding on to the ball too long last year. Now that he is concerned about his knee he may get rid of it quicker.

It is a good point. He also took a lot of unnecessary hits running outside of the pocket which I bet he cleans up and throws the 
ball away more often rather than taking those hits. Of course I would hate for him to lose his great elusiveness as that is one of 
his other great attributes but he doesn't have to run unless it is necessary and he needs to learn to slide and save himself.
Reply/Quote
Per practice reports he was still holding the ball too long. Even in 7 on 7's.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
In other words he is learning the game just like all inexperienced players.
Reply/Quote
He has to get that mental clock in his head set for like two seconds less than it is.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: In other words he is learning the game just like all inexperienced players.

if only there was someone to teach him what to do like a coach...    or a vet QB thats been there.
Reply/Quote
There is no silver lining or orange colored glasses. Our QB is an entire 8+ months removed from a gruesome knee injury with a 12 month recovery and he hasnt won a single training camp practice... Our OL has to play a game that counts in a a little over a month and they are losing reps in training camp. My god man, the sky is falling.
Reply/Quote
Burrow will be fine.He’s a smart kid,and he’ll compromise for that knee or whatever else might be an obstacle in his path.He is extremely competitive.Reminds me of Tom Brady in that regard.Of course we should all remember that last year the league was facing a pandemic and Burrow,in his rookie season, had to deal with alot of distractions.Also no pre-season.

With less distractions and more prep time he should benefit.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Per practice reports he was still holding the ball too long. Even in 7 on 7's.

Now I see why Brady still around in his 40s. Pissed
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow had a problem holding on to the ball too long last year. Now that he is concerned about his knee he may get rid of it quicker.

I worry about a lot of things with this team.  Only because I want them to do so well, but that list includes:

The Coaches.  I have no idea if ZT and LA are quality coaches.  They have the rosters they wanted now and have no more excuses.  I guess we will find out.

The LBs.  Are Wilson and Pratt able to be quality NFL starters?  

The offensive line.  Will it be a solid unity or just...offensive?  

Notice that Joe Burrow is not on that list.  I have 100% faith that by the time the bullets fly, he will be ready to take this team to the next level.  If I had a theory as to why they have struggled so much thus far, I would chalk it up to a lot of the offensive line starters being out and the defense being a little fired up at all the attention the offense has been getting before taking a snap.  The CBs are contesting everything.  (This actually has me excited).  And lastly, perhaps Joe has a bit of fatigue from his grueling rehab schedule (and approach to it) on top of learning the offense and working with his guys after practice.  

One thing ZT has been very clear about his having his guys ready to go on gameday, and not exhausted.  They are probably as broken down as they will get and then he will start easing off before week 1 in a few weeks.  

I simply don't worry about Joe Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
I have a confession to make:

When we drafted Joe Burrow #1OA last year, the same thoughts just kept going through my head.

"What if his one year was just a flash in the pan?"
"What if his arm isn't strong enough in the NFL?"
"What if NFL teams figure out his passing tendencies and he becomes captain checkdown?"
"What if his success really was just Joe, Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson abusing inexperienced college corners?"

We drafted a cerebral QB who was not that physically gifted (at least relative to other #1OA QBs) after a single year of elite play and expected him to come in and save the franchise. Maybe we're asking too much of Joe.

Of course, this may just be me panicking. We'll have to wait until the regular season, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 06:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There is no silver lining or orange colored glasses. Our QB is an entire 8+ months removed from a gruesome knee injury with a 12 month recovery and he hasnt won a single training camp practice... Our OL has to play a game that counts in a a little over a month and they are losing reps in training camp. My god man, the sky is falling.

Installs. The entire practice field know what play is coming from the offense, and they don't change it when the defense changes looks like they would in a game. The sky would be falling if the Defense was losing reps. Simple as that. The only thing that worries me is our O line still seems to be pushed around. 
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 08:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have a confession to make:

When we drafted Joe Burrow #1OA last year, the same thoughts just kept going through my head.

"What if NFL teams figure out his passing tendencies and he becomes captain checkdown?"
"What if his success really was just Joe, Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson abusing inexperienced college corners?"

We drafted a cerebral QB who was not that physically gifted (at least relative to other #1OA QBs) after a single year of elite play and expected him to come in and save the franchise. Maybe we're asking too much of Joe.

Of course, this may just be me panicking. We'll have to wait until the regular season, I guess.

I’m starting to truly question how much some of you actually even watched him play last year.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 06:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There is no silver lining or orange colored glasses. Our QB is an entire 8+ months removed from a gruesome knee injury with a 12 month recovery and he hasnt won a single training camp practice... Our OL has to play a game that counts in a a little over a month and they are losing reps in training camp. My god man, the sky is falling.

Is this ... are you being sarcastic?

Please tell me you don't actually believe it's the end of the world as we know it for the Cincinnati bEngals based on 1 week of training camp.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m starting to truly question how much some of you actually even watched him play last year.

Doesn't matter.  Fans see what they want to see.  That is why Domata Peko was a bum who played on roller skates and Auden Tate is an elite red zone weapon.  

I watched Burrow play last year and I saw a guy who was very elusive in the pocket, but who also often held onto the ball too long.  I saw a guy who was deadly accurate on short to medium passes but struggled with the deep ball.

Basically I saw a QB who was held back by problems around him, but who also had his own issues to improve.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 08:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have a confession to make:

Brought this up as my only real concern about Joe before we drafted him. How great his WR's were at LSU and how bad of an O-line we would have in front of him in NFL. 

That being said I am very happy with the QB Bengals got and see a bright future if only he could be protected properly. Which is still a major concern and has already proved a thorn in the side of his knee. . 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter.  Fans see what they want to see.  That is why Domata Peko was a bum who played on roller skates and Auden Tate is an elite red zone weapon.  

I watched Burrow play last year and I saw a guy who was very elusive in the pocket, but who also often held onto the ball too long.  I saw a guy who was deadly accurate on short to medium passes but struggled with the deep ball.

Agree completely

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m starting to truly question how much some of you actually even watched him play last year.

I saw a kid with lots of potential trying to overcome a crap line and dunce HC.  This year I see the same thing with a gruesome knee injury tossed in for good measure.  

It's difficult to be optimistic about Burrow without being a "hater" towards the organization.  My mind is open to wild success in 2021 but the 2020 question of "will the Bengals ruin Burrow?" Has turned into "have the Bengals ruined Burrow?" and That's just the way it is until further notice. 

So far it's gone as grimly projected.  Burrow shows great potential BUT....

My main takeaway is that if you went back in time 365 days prior to today and said that in 2020 Burrow was going to win 2 games, get a gruesome injury, and then look frustrated and hesitant in 2021 training camp people would have said that it was the most pessimistic prediction and that there was no way in hell it would ever happen.  Burrow isn't done, I'm not panicking but I'm recognizing that his career as a Bengal thus far is one where an ultra-talented guy has been put behind the eight ball and things have gone worse than even the pessimists would have predicted.

But in the optimistic sense, this just makes it so the Joe Burrow story has a fitting 2nd act fall before the proverbial phoenix rises to glory.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 11:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Is this ... are you being sarcastic?

Please tell me you don't actually believe it's the end of the world as we know it for the Cincinnati bEngals based on 1 week of training camp.

Yea that was sarcasm to poke fun at the ones shitting their pants in the first week of august.
Reply/Quote