Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simplified spelling board
Just to get under everyone's skin we still spell English in the most ridiculous manner, but it is what it is. 
Once upon a time some very rich and well respected people such as Andrew Carnegie,  Mark Twain among others, even Teddy Roosevelt put out big bucks and even the power of the office of the presidency to promote changes to spelling recommend by the Simplified Spelling Board, but in the end the public in general preferred the agonizing method of English spelling with only a few words getting adopted such as center instead centre and color as opposed to colour .. Carnegie spent over $25,000 a month (big bucks back then) to change how we spell. Roosevelt even ordered all government documents to use simplified spelling, but congress nixed the idea..
Anyway..Amusing video on YouTube from THG..(The History Guy)    https://youtu.be/uCJsgHETLRM
Enjoy and enjoy your misspellings of as many words as you want..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I used to spell my first name "Reds".

The "s" was silent, and the "F" was invisible.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2022, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I used to spell my first name "Reds".

The "s" was silent, and the "F" was invisible.

I used to spell grampahol with a silent S U P E R M A N...A B L E  T O  L E A P  O F F  T A L L  B U I L D I N G S  A T  A  S I N G L E  B O U N D..
I just got tired of all the typing and spacing and shortened it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote