Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
41 Straight 2nd Half Drives Without a TD
Just amazing how inept our offense is...and that's with Mixon actually running the ball well.

#NewDey!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Of all the off-season hopes we had "ZT will make halftime adjustments Marvin never did/could" may be one of the biggest flops.

Let me check this...in the 2nd half in 14 games we have 84 total points which averages out to 6 points in the second half of a game which would be 12 points per game. We are 32nd in the league in points per game at 15.1 so in the second half of games we are worse than the worst offense in the NFL, which is us.

How could things start off any worse for our young genius of an offensive coach? Blargh.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Of all the off-season hopes we had "ZT will make halftime adjustments Marvin never did/could" may be one of the biggest flops.

Interestingly, early in the year we sucked in the 1st half and did good in the 2nd half generally.

Late in the year, we do well early and do bad late.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, early in the year we sucked in the 1st half and did good in the 2nd half generally.

Well, we scored 17 points in both the 2nd half of week 2 vs Buffalo and the 2nd half of week 5 vs the Cardinals.  That is 34 of the 84 2nd half points in those 2 losses alone, so about 41% of our 15 weeks of 2nd half points came in only two games.

Oof. That leaves an average of 3.9 points per 2nd half in the other 13 games. So does ZT have a hard time making adjustments, or does this team have more "quit" in it than we thought?
Reply/Quote
This years Bengals offense would be a very good case study on offensive ineptness and I'm not trying to be funny.

I'd love to see an in depth study into just what gives. For example the Oline was very bad first half of season, the go to excuse. Now they're playing at least a bit better but we still can't score ! WTF ?

Dalton was bad for the most part in the first half but had some decent drives/qtrs. But we still couldn't score. This team has had drives on offense moving right down the field like we finally are getting it together. Then we hit the red zone and fall flat on our faces !

I don't have an answer ?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This years Bengals offense would be a very good case study on offensive ineptness and I'm not trying to be funny.

I'd love to see an in depth study into just what gives. For example the Oline was very bad first half of season, the go to excuse. Now they're playing at least a bit better but we still can't score ! WTF ?

Dalton was bad for the most part in the first half but had some decent drives/qtrs. But we still couldn't score. This team has had drives on offense moving right down the field like we finally are getting it together. Then we hit the red zone and fall flat on our faces !

I don't have an answer ?

When the bengals were coming around with our newly hired coach Marvin Lewis back in the day, this was common the first 3 seasons. The team would show life, but would come up short in the end. Unable to get that winning TD or unable to hold the opponents from scoring and losing the game.

My theory is this is mostly due to poor team chemistry and inferior players vs our opponents. Coaching is also part of it. Players don't have the respect of the coach to guide them and rely on the coach to make them believe they can win. Kinda like having the ability to win but lacking the self-esteem to win.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This years Bengals offense would be a very good case study on offensive ineptness and I'm not trying to be funny.

I don't have an answer ?

Muscle memory.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Man, you guys are making it almost sound like the bengals are just not a very good team or something.. Maybe the just don't eat Wheaties for breakfast or something.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's the red zone. 5 trips againt Cleveland. 1 TD. This week it was four interception in one half. That's most of the drives.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
With a stat like that, you have to wonder what type of plays are being selected once they get in the redzone area? Is our offense that easy to read, or is it the players not able to complete the play accurately?
Reply/Quote
We're actually worse statistically than Dave Shula's worst year here (3-13 in 1993). Not only do we have 2 less wins so far, but we also have a worse point differential by 16 so far.

We've scored 211 points and given up 359. -148
1993 Bengals scored 187 and given up 319. -132

Interestingly, last year...with all the injuries we had...we scored 368 points on offense and gave up 455.
Reply/Quote
I feel sorry for Burrows.

If he agrees to come here he needs to get the best contract possible because no one will want him when time rolls around for his second contract.

Can you say David Carr?

He should pull an Eli Manning and will do so if he has advisors who are as smart as Eli's Dad.

There is no hope for this organization ( or Burrows for a successful Bengals career) unless they clean house again and do it right this time.

The Bengals need an experienced head coach with credibility like Mike McCarthy who can attract and pick his own staff .

Kiss 2020 goodbye if this does not happen.
Reply/Quote
It's just a bad stretch. ALL teams have bad stretches. There is nothing to really see here! Did you know....

-From 2005 to 2015 we were 13th in 2nd half TD's.

-Only 5 teams have had less than 10 straight drives without? (Bengals are among the 27 who did not)

-On road games, and on odd numbered dates, with the tempeture below 60 and above 37, we rank 7th in the league in 2nd half scoring.

-When wearing our white jersey + black pants combo, and it's overcast, Andy Dalton is a top half of the league 2nd half QB. PERIOD.

-NO team has scored a TD every 2nd drive.

-I'm a successful doctor and thess are relevant to the discussion facts.
Reply/Quote
I Don't think Andy is any good anymore he could be serviceable with AJ Green don't get me wrong. We could be down right scary with a healthy AJ if Burrow come in better than Andy. Which isn't a very high bar at this point
Reply/Quote
This is indicative of poor coaching. Outside of the scripted plays the offense cannot move the ball which really shows in the second half. This coaching staff has no idea how to scheme around what talent remains on the roster. It's pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, early in the year we sucked in the 1st half and did good in the 2nd half generally.

The reality is the Bengals are not playing a full game. They show up for either the first half or the second half. It's as if the team is taking a nap instead of showing up. If the team showed up for a full game we may see around 28-42 points scored in a game. The reason the Bengals offense is averaging around 15 points a game is because the team isn't showing up for the full game. It's been like this since last year and it has continued. 

Changing the coaches has changed the results. And that is because the coaching change hasn't improved the play calling. 

I mean any half witted coach would realize that if you can run the ball you should be using play action passes to help your passing game; and yet the Bengals are not using it. This pass weekend game I was like Ok here we go Mixon had a few good runs here comes a play action pass and it was another run. Than in the 2nd half he had 2 good runs and the Bengals  had a 1st great time to for a play action but nope they run it and he got stuffed. 

This coaching is horrible. The only bright spot has been the OL coach the changes he has made to improve the running game. The defensive coordinator should also be given props as his unit simply are getting worn out and all of that is do to bad offensive play calling. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 02:30 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: The reality is the Bengals are not playing a full game. They show up for either the first half or the second half. It's as if the team is taking a nap instead of showing up. If the team showed up for a full game we may see around 28-42 points scored in a game. The reason the Bengals offense is averaging around 15 points a game is because the team isn't showing up for the full game. It's been like this since last year and it has continued. 

Changing the coaches has changed the results. And that is because the coaching change hasn't improved the play calling. 

I mean any half witted coach would realize that if you can run the ball you should be using play action passes to help your passing game; and yet the Bengals are not using it. This pass weekend game I was like Ok here we go Mixon had a few good runs here comes a play action pass and it was another run. Than in the 2nd half he had 2 good runs and the Bengals  had a 1st great time to for a play action but nope they run it and he got stuffed. 

This coaching is horrible. The only bright spot has been the OL coach the changes he has made to improve the running game. The defensive coordinator should also be given props as his unit simply are getting worn out and all of that is do to bad offensive play calling. 

Yep. Which is why I don't think the fix is as simple as just adding more talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:17 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's just a bad stretch. ALL teams have bad stretches. There is nothing to really see here! Did you know....

-From 2005 to 2015 we were 13th in 2nd half TD's.

-Only 5 teams have had less than 10 straight drives without? (Bengals are among the 27 who did not)

-On road games, and on odd numbered dates, with the tempeture below 60 and above 37, we rank 7th in the league in 2nd half scoring.

-When wearing our white jersey + black pants combo, and it's overcast, Andy Dalton is a top half of the league 2nd half QB. PERIOD.

-NO team has scored a TD every 2nd drive.

-I'm a successful doctor and thess are relevant to the discussion facts.
Fred is that you? Did you finally steal Wes' account?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:09 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I feel sorry for Burrows.

If he agrees to come here he needs to get the best contract possible because no one will want him when time rolls around for his second contract.

Can you say David Carr?

He should pull an Eli Manning and will do so if he has advisors who are as smart as Eli's Dad.

There is no hope for this organization ( or Burrows for a successful Bengals career) unless they clean house again and do it right this time.

The Bengals need an experienced head coach with credibility like Mike McCarthy who can attract and pick his own staff .

Kiss 2020 goodbye if this does not happen.

his contract is fully gaurenteed....  
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 12:41 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Just amazing how inept our offense is...and that's with Mixon actually running the ball well.

#NewDey!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is that all?

I could've sworn it felt like 49.  Maybe 46 at the least!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote