Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With the running game working, why can't we score more points?
(12-16-2019, 01:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Because Zac Taylor becomes mentally handicapped when we enter the red zone.

And as a bonus, Tyler Eifert has been healthy and active all season long, and is having one of his worst statistical seasons that I can remember.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Generally IF a team has a RB rush for 130+ yards per game, the offense produces at a high level. Why has our points per game actually went down since we are now able to run?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bad play calling by the head coach. He needs to pass the reins of the offensive play calling to someone else. He ain't cutting it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 03:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What about bringing Joe Brady in as passing game coordinator or more...IF we go with a Haslett?

if we are getting burrow it would make to much sense.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the "redzone" plays are too easy to recognize to the defense. Maybe the OL isn't giving a better path to run through.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 01:44 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He didn't ensure anything.  There are still two games left to play.  And against shitty teams.

I said he is doing a good job....    His job isnt complete yet.  No doubt he will continue to blow and we can get his replacement.  Keep it up Andy!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our red zone offense has been pretty terrible all year. One could argue, that it's the main reason for our poor play.

Yes it has !

And like as nearly always the case I don't think you can pin it down to just one or even two things. It's a combination of several.

1. Play calling is a large part. For one I don't think the empty backfield in the red zone does us any favors. ZT seems to forget he has Eifert when we get down there. And I think we've been way to predictable with formations and personnel.

2. Our QB's

3. Oline couldn't get any push run blocking in first 10 games

4. Receivers have been unreliable at times with drops and not getting open.

5, Just typical Bengal implosion - penalties, fumbles, interceptions, blown assignments and so on. 
Reply/Quote
Don't be so hard on Andy. After all, he's doing his Christian duty trying to get Ryan Findley his job back. Mighty mannerly of him, huh? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 06:36 PM)Bigcatfan Wrote: Maybe the "redzone" plays are too easy to recognize  to the defense. Maybe the OL isn't giving a better path to run through.

There are only so many patterns and plays that a team can run in a short amount of space, all teams use the same plays, they just call them by different names.  The key is in execution.  You have to have the athletes that can either get open, or the blockers to create the space, for any play to work.

One would think that with a Red Zone target like a Tyler Eifert, who should draw double coverage, that at least ONE other player could get open. But, that won't even matter, if your QB can't see all of the targets and recognize which one to throw to.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are only so many patterns and plays that a team can run in a short amount of space, all teams use the same plays, they just call them by different names.  The key is in execution.  You have to have the athletes that can either get open, or the blockers to create the space, for any play to work.

One would think that with a Red Zone target like a Tyler Eifert, who should draw double coverage, that at least ONE other player could get open. But, that won't even matter, if your QB can't see all of the targets and recognize which one to throw to.
I agree with your thoughts 100%. It seems like these plays fit the Patriots way of winning every game. I wonder if the Bengals will try this method?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Generally IF a team has a RB rush for 130+ yards per game, the offense produces at a high level. Why has our points per game actually went down since we are now able to run?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Because the closer to the end zone you get, the more compressed the playing field becomes, and the harder it is to run it against a stacked box. When you can't run it in, you have to have receivers. We're missing the #1 and #2 receivers. It's not that hard really. Eifert is underutilized in the red zone as well... 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because the closer to the end zone you get, the more compressed the playing field becomes, and the harder it is to run it against a stacked box. When you can't run it in, you have to have receivers. We're missing the #1 and #2 receivers. It's not that hard really. Eifert is underutilized in the red zone as well... 

Boyd is our #2 WR and we’ve had him all season.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m going with bad play calling in the red zone by Taylor and Dalton having too many turnovers.

Not only that but they do get too vanilla on plenty of drives running on both 1st/2nd down. No matter how good the running attack is you still have to vary things up. That's even more important because they have ZERO #1 receiver or anyone that can go deep so DB's can play very tight and still recover with a ball over the top. Dalton locks on to too many first options and if it's not a pick it's definitely a ball that's defended or knocked down too many times...

It was absolutely criminal not to run a QB sneak on 4th and inches against NE sunday. One thing AD and his OL do well,and have, is the QB sneak and getting plenty of yards....
Reply/Quote
Terrible playcalling and limited receiving options. Boyd is the only real threat out wide and I would like to see our TEs used a little more. I absolutely hate ZTs playcalling and overall offense. The running game looks great but man, oh man, I just hate this offense. I would really like a legit OC brought in. I'd be willing to take another chance on someone and bring in Joe Brady.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Terrible playcalling and limited receiving options. Boyd is the only real threat out wide and I would like to see our TEs used a little more. I absolutely hate ZTs playcalling and overall offense. The running game looks great but man, oh man, I just hate this offense. I would really like a legit OC brought in. I'd be willing to take another chance on someone and bring in Joe Brady.

AD and Eifert use to run the best TE seam route down the middle to perfection...I know why they weren't running that early on with the pathetic OL play but this OL has played pretty well and the middle of the field is open..
Reply/Quote
Play calling is terrible. Apparently Zac didnt take that much away from Sean McVey.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 01:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boyd is our #2 WR and we’ve had him all season.

Yep, my mistake, we don't have our #1 and #3.....
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 05:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, my mistake, we don't have our #1 and #3.....

Ross would be our #3.
Reply/Quote