Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since Jeremy Hill came into the league. . .
He ranks

6th in rushing yards
1st in rushing tds
13th in yards per carry (among the 29 RBs with at least 300 carries)

Is he as good as he looked in '14?  Probably not.

Is he as bad as he looked in '15?  Probably not.

And, yes, he also ranks #1 in fumbles with 8, but there are 8 other RBs who have at least 6 fumbles, and only 3 of those 8 other RBs have more carries than Hill.  That list includes DeMarco Murray, Eddie Lacey, Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, and LeSean McCoy.  So while Hill does have to work on ball security his problems are not that much worse than many other top RBs.
Reply/Quote
Over the past 15 years 6 different Bengals have at least 300 carries (Hill, Bernard, BJGE, Cedric Benson, Rudi Johnson, Cory Dillon), and Hill ranks #1 among that group in yarrds per carry. Of course that only covers the last three years of Dillon's career as a Bengal, and I am not going to suggest that Hill is in the same class as him, but this still puts Hill's production in context with the other top RBs we have had here.
Reply/Quote
He can still get the ball across the goal line with regularity and as long as he can do that he'll be a pretty good running back. I hope he gets in the habit of holding on to the ball more often, but I don't worry about him being able to score touchdowns..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 10:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: He can still get the ball across the goal line with regularity and as long as he can do that he'll be a pretty good running back. I hope he gets in the habit of holding on to the ball more often, but I don't worry about him being able to score touchdowns..

I actually think rushing tds is an overrated stat.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually think rushing tds is an overrated stat.

Rushing TDs may be on overrated stat but if we get stopped on a 3rd and 2 I may temporarily change my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually think rushing tds is an overrated stat.

They still count and add up. If you don't score from a yard out you usually have problems..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He ranks

6th in rushing yards
1st in rushing tds
13th in yards per carry (among the 29 RBs with at least 300 carries)

Is he as good as he looked in '14?  Probably not.

Is he as bad as he looked in '15?  Probably not.

And, yes, he also ranks #1 in fumbles with 8, but there are 8 other RBs who have at least 6 fumbles, and only 3 of those 8 other RBs have more carries than Hill.  That list includes DeMarco Murray, Eddie Lacey, Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, and LeSean McCoy.  So while Hill does have to work on ball security his problems are not that much worse than many other top RBs.

so hes a TD poacher? thats great for Fantasy Football.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 10:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: so hes a TD poacher?  thats great for Fantasy Football.

I don't think you can call a guy who is #6 in rushing yards a "td poacher", but he certainly benefits from playing with a high scoring offense.
Reply/Quote
Hue gave quite a few Gio touchdowns to Hill last season probably to try and build his confidence. The fumbles are obviously the biggest issues with Hill. I think it stunted his entire game.

Reply/Quote
Guys have off years.

Remember last year when half the board wanted to drive 2014 Andy Dalton to the airport themselves??

I think he will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 12:08 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Guys have off years.

Remember last year when half the board wanted to drive 2014 Andy Dalton to the airport themselves??

I think he will be fine.

Replace drive with road-haul and you described this board perfectly.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you can call a guy who is #6 in rushing yards a "td poacher", but he certainly benefits from playing with a high scoring offense.

He does benefit from a good offense, but I don't think rush TDs are overrated really. We've seen RBs in the past who couldn't punch it in.

Being good in short yardage is a skill for RBs, imo.

Appreciate the thread though. I have a feeling that Hill's YPC in '16 will fall right around his career average.  It's also worth noting that Hill's fumbles were down (3) last year with practically the same amount of touches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Are we gonna be able to keep both Gio and Hill and if not which one do we keep and when do we draft another.

3 of our RBs are Free agents next season.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 01:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Are we gonna be able to keep both Gio and Hill and if not which one do we keep and when do we draft another.

3 of our RBs are Free agents next season.

I did some research awhile back and many RBs similar to Gio in production were only making around $3-4 million per.

Gio won't cost as much as some think. Hill will probably be more expensive if he rebounds.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The years of watching us unable to punch it in at the goalline makes it easier to accept Hill's deficiencies. I agree with the person who said (in another thread I think) that his next year will prob lie somewhere between his first 2 years. Just like Dalton in the past, he is catching too much flak.
Reply/Quote
garbage

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Number one in fumbles wouldn't bother me as much but he LOST IS THE PLAYOFF GAME bc of his fumbling so he can eat dirt idk if I'll ever forgive him
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 05:50 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Number one in fumbles wouldn't bother me as much but he LOST IS THE PLAYOFF GAME bc of his fumbling so he can eat dirt idk if I'll ever forgive him

I wouldn't go so far as the "eat dirt" part. But he did drop the ball in one of our biggest games ever in a pointless effort to gain more yards.

I'm willing to forgive. But he made all of Bengaldom eat a bit fat shit sandwich. He's gonna have to work that one off IMO. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 05:50 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Number one in fumbles wouldn't bother me as much but he LOST IS THE PLAYOFF GAME bc of his fumbling so he can eat dirt idk if I'll ever forgive him

I wonder how much you hate Burfict and Adam Jones for their 15 yard penalties at the end of the game then.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:43 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I wonder how much you hate Burfict and Adam Jones for their 15 yard penalties at the end of the game then.

None. Those don't happen w/o the fumble.
Reply/Quote